Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 12:36 PM   #181
FaithFairy
Sapling

Oh, that would be me hoping I finish at least the first book. I tried to start it the other day but got bogged down in the introduction and prologue -- do I really need to bother with that?

I'm also reading Jane Austen's Persuasion.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:02 AM   #182
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I finished WOT #6, finally. It kept seguing to and fro between "bloody boring" and "captivatingly intense", and ended on the second... I'm going to be taking quite a break before I go on to #7 (Crown of Swords) though.

I'm re-reading The Hobbit right now. After that I plan to take down The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler, The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis, and re-read some Jules Verne or Kurt Vonnegut or George Orwell for a bit.

On another note, this book club thing I'm a part of chose Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game for discussion... it's bloody hard to find a copy of it around here, and I'm not even sure I have time to get to it.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
Old 12-03-2001, 03:09 PM   #183
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Re: what are you reading right now?

I’m reading “the Epics of Celtic Ireland” by Jean Markale.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Old 12-12-2001, 03:08 AM   #184
Gimly
Enting

I can say what I'm reading right now, but it won't help you, because it's a Russian author. All I can say is that it's Sci-Fi, and it's about Virtual Reality (That's a new theme for a book ). Afterwards I'll be reading the end of the book I'm currently reading, which is a book itself.
Old 12-18-2001, 02:58 PM   #185
Desdemona
Sapling

I just started re-reading, of all things, M.M. Kaye's The Far Pavillions . I was cleaning out bookcases and came across my copy and decided to give it a shot. It's a fairly interesting read given the current political climate, and bearable as far as epic historical romances go. I also dug out my copy of Kaye's The Ordinary Princess, a wonderful children's story that is being re-released in 2002.

Also reading Patrick McCabe's Emerald Germs of Ireland and Chris Moore's Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:17 AM   #186
Lumina
Sapling

A biography of Terence Rattigan by Geoffrey Wansell.
Old 12-31-2001, 05:45 PM   #187
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

What I'm reading

Well right now it's kind of complicated. I'm on the seventh chapter of TTT, but that's gonna have to wait for a while, because I'm in this group called Honors Reading at school. You have to read @ least 2 books within the chosen topic, and then you go on a trip somewhere. The Winter 2001 - 2002 theme is Elvis & the NBA, so I'm reading a book called Last Train to Memphis by Peter Guralnick. After that I'll prob read a short biography of a WNBA player (Mrs. P said WNBA counts) to finish that. Then I'll read Company Aytch (dunno who the author is) for History Club, and then, FINALLY, I'll be able to finish LotR without any interruptions!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
Old 01-03-2002, 04:48 PM   #188
Thorongil
Hobbit

Good Omens by Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman, if you want to know what it is about go to the Terry Pratchet thread in fantasy/sci fi

Oh and LoTR (of course)
Thorongil men called him in Gondor,the Eagle of the star, for he waskeen eyed, and wore a silver star upon his cloak, but none knew his true name nor in what land he was born.He came to Ecthelion from Rohan, where he had served King Thengel, but he was not one of the Rohirrim. He was a great leader of men, by land or sea,but departed into the shadows whence he came, before the days of Ecthelion were ended.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:24 PM   #189
Alethes
Enting

I'm rereading LOTR because I haven't read it in a few years, and I am currently on The Two Towers. I have some books I got for Christmas that I have started reading, but I want to finish LOTR before I finish those books.
-Proverbs 22:11
Old 01-09-2002, 04:52 PM   #190
Butterburr
Hobbit

I just finished Tigana, by Guy Gavriel Kay.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:14 PM   #191
athelas
Enting

I just finished the Redwall books. I've got my hands full, trying to finish both the Silmarillion and Sense and Sensibility.
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)
Old 01-12-2002, 04:48 AM   #192
Smaug
Enting

Re: Re: My Reading :)

Quote:
Originally posted by the Lorien wanderer
I've just started re-reading Atlas Shrugged. Anyone here an Ayn Rand fan?
Yes.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:00 PM   #193
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

The Quest for the Quantam Computer and The Two Towers and The Silmarillion
Old 02-07-2002, 06:51 PM   #194
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I'm never really "reading" anything, unless I have my nose stuck in a book. I'm a really fast reader, which is both a blessing and a curse. It takes me about an hour and a half, give or take ten minutes or so, to read the Fellowship. And Iluvatar only knows how many times I've read it . . .
Currently I am re-reading the LotR trilogy, and the Hobbit, and the silmarillion numerous times, and attempting to memorize all the songs and poems.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Old 02-07-2002, 11:42 PM   #195
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Whatever I can get my hands on.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:50 AM   #196
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Woohoo! Just finished Mists of Avalon! Now I have to read The Red Badge of Courage (which I've already read once) for class, and Heart of Darkness, and Die Groenland Saga, and Adventures of Tom Sawyer and . . .

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
Old 02-08-2002, 12:56 AM   #197
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

::hisses at Tom Sawyer:: HISS! Okay, I will read anything I can get my hands on, but that doesn't mean I'll like it
Old 02-08-2002, 01:32 AM   #198
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

What? What? Tom Sawyer is cute! He's amusing!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
Old 02-08-2002, 08:58 PM   #199
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I had to read it in eighth grade, and I'm not really a fan of Mark Twain's better known books (the other being Huck Finn). ::shrug::

I also didn't like Homecoming, but that's for another thread

I am actually currently reading LOTR, Scarlett and a book called the Fiery Cross...the fifth in an AMAZING series.
Old 02-10-2002, 03:34 PM   #200
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

The Fellowship in an hour and a half? Whoa, Laurelyn! I'm older than you and it took me more than a month!!!!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
Closed Thread