Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 12:56 PM   #181
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Kill Bill vols 1 & 2 rock.

Recently, I watched Punch Drunk Love with Adam Sandler. By the same guy who did Magnolia. Frickin' awesome movie. I also watched Phone Booth, which alright. Prolly not worth a re-watch though.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:23 PM   #182
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

..Gee that's a bit harsh don't you think? There's more history in Japan than Australia and I bet you could do a triangle fare to include both if you had the extra shekels.
..I'm very past life attached to Japan.

Last edited by Spock : 10-30-2004 at 05:25 PM. Reason: oops
Old 10-30-2004, 09:06 PM   #183
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Actually if you've ever been to Japan (at least on your first trip) it's easy to appreciate LIT, we loved it.
Or any place with a foreign language and culture (though obviously it'd be more poignant if you've been to Japan...something I plan on doing). I completely understand that lost feeling.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:23 PM   #184
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

just saw Donnie Darko.. and I am very confused. What did I just watch ??!!

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 10-31-2004, 04:28 AM   #185
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
..Gee that's a bit harsh don't you think? There's more history in Japan than Australia and I bet you could do a triangle fare to include both if you had the extra shekels.
..I'm very past life attached to Japan.
Well, unfortunately, me and airplanes (that is the pressure to one's ears) to mix very well. And, of course, Japan has more history than Australia (that is if you only count the later colonists and not the aboriginies - who beat Japan by a very long shot!).
Old 10-31-2004, 12:10 PM   #186
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
Well, unfortunately, me and airplanes (that is the pressure to one's ears) to mix very well.
...PARDON CAPITALS BUT I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO CHANGE THE TYPE FACE AS WE USED TO DO BEFORE THIS SITE CHANGED.
I TOO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE EUSTASIAN (SP?) TUBES AND KNOW IT CAN BE QUITE PAINFUL. FORTUNATELY I DISCOVERED A COMBINATION OVER THE COUNTER MEDS THAT HELP A GREAT DEAL. SINCE FINDING THEM I'VE ONLY HAD ONE SERIOUSLY PAINFUL FLIGHT.

And, of course, Japan has more history than Australia (that is if you only count the later colonists and not the aboriginies - who beat Japan by a very long shot!).
YEP, I REALIZED THAT AS SOON AS I HIT "SEND". STILL IN ALL JAPAN IS BEAUTIFUL ONCE YOU GET OUTSIDE OF TOKYO AND EVEN IN NOOKS AND CRANIES IN THAT COSMOPOLITAN CITY.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:46 AM   #187
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
YEP, I REALIZED THAT AS SOON AS I HIT "SEND". STILL IN ALL JAPAN IS BEAUTIFUL ONCE YOU GET OUTSIDE OF TOKYO AND EVEN IN NOOKS AND CRANIES IN THAT COSMOPOLITAN CITY.
My financial resources doesn't allow me going there either.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:30 PM   #188
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I've just seen "Five Children and It". I love E Nesbit's books (though this isn't my favourite) and the adaptation was beautiful. The child actors were very impressive and Eddie Izzard as the voice of the Psammead was great, as always.

I don't know why film-makers think stuff only happens in Britain during the wars - this was relocated to WW1 which it considerably pre-dates. I don't mind though - gave me a chance to see Alex Jennings as the soldier father *melts*
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:15 PM   #189
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
just saw Donnie Darko.. and I am very confused. What did I just watch ??!!

No kidding! I caught the last half of it on cable one night, and I have no idea what was happening.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:08 PM   #190
thranduil
Elven Warrior

i dont understand it either.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:12 PM   #191
Mercutio

"Heart of Darkness" (starring John Malcovich, based on book by Joseph Conrad).

*shiver*

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:27 AM   #192
Millane
The Dude

went and saw Hero last night, hmmm still undecided about it but im going again tommorrer so ill reevaluate, very crouching tiger-esque, esp the music...
and then last night i watched the Big Lebowski and i realised once again why its one of the greatest movies ever made, i hadnt watched it for awhile but ive still seen it a shitload and every character gets me pissing my pants, that seen with Jesus and the guys in the bowling alley, hilarious.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:53 AM   #193
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Resaw (is that the expression?) The Day After Tomorrow yesterday, with my parents. It is pretty awesome!
Old 11-06-2004, 07:16 AM   #194
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I was disappointed in "The Day After Tomorrow". It had so much potential, but it was bogged down with stupid scenes like the wolves on the boat, and the fact that they were outside when the eye of the storm hit but magically lived etc.
There were some cool scenes, like when people are crossing the Rio Grande, when the Mexican government allows sanctuary to the Americans if all third world debt is forgiven, and the survivors in New York (it's always New York ) coming out onto the rooves. All the scenes with Sir Ian Holm were really cool.

I just saw the Mask of Zorro! This is set at the same time and place as "Two Years Before the Mast" by Richard Henry Dana, Jr. Cool eh?

Rewatched is the term you're looking for.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 11-06-2004 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:29 AM   #195
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I watched 'The Day After Tomorrow', or rather, about 15 minutes of it. It looked kind of stupid and unrealistic to me, but that could just be me.

Watched 'The Sound of Music' last night. Now that was good stuff. Tomorrow 'Rabbit-Proof Fence' is on so I'm looking forward to that.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:48 AM   #196
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I was disappointed in "The Day After Tomorrow". It had so much potential, but it was bogged down with stupid scenes like the wolves on the boat, and the fact that they were outside when the eye of the storm hit but magically lived etc.
There were some cool scenes, like when people are crossing the Rio Grande, when the Mexican government allows sanctuary to the Americans if all third world debt is forgiven, and the survivors in New York (it's always New York ) coming out onto the rooves. All the scenes with Sir Ian Holm were really cool.

Yes, it was quite bombastic, but the effects was pretty neat (that was what I really was referring to).

I just saw the Mask of Zorro! This is set at the same time and place as "Two Years Before the Mast" by Richard Henry Dana, Jr. Cool eh?

The Mask of Zorro is a very neat movie. I love movies with a lot of swordplay in them.

Rewatched is the term you're looking for.

And thanks.
The acting in TDAT wasn't particularly good, though.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 11-06-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:53 AM   #197
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Yeah, the acting wasn't the best, but it didn't detract from the movie. I thought Anthony Hopkins was quite brilliant (as usual), and Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones were hot (as usual).

I love a lot of sword play in movies too! It was very cool to watch in Zorro. I get annoyed when someone blows an obvious opening to kill their opponent though. It makes them look incompetent or stupid, which I know isn't the effect they're trying to get accross.

With this movie, I also wish the bad guys were a tad more complex. Captain Love was sick, and insane, but he was totally one-sided and boring. There could have been a lot more done with his character. Same with Raphael, though he wasn't sick like Love, and he was a smidgen more complex.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-06-2004, 10:07 AM   #198
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Yeah, the acting wasn't the best, but it didn't detract from the movie. I thought Anthony Hopkins was quite brilliant (as usual), and Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones were hot (as usual).

The acting in The Mark of Zorro was medium, but as you say Anthony H never did a bad movie. Banderas does a good impression of Zorro and ZJ is hot as you stated.

I love a lot of sword play in movies too! It was very cool to watch in Zorro. I get annoyed when someone blows an obvious opening to kill their opponent though. It makes them look incompetent or stupid, which I know isn't the effect they're trying to get accross.

Perhaps they wanted to get across that Love was so full of it that he couldn't kill his opponent at the first meeting.

With this movie, I also wish the bad guys were a tad more complex. Captain Love was sick, and insane, but he was totally one-sided and boring. There could have been a lot more done with his character. Same with Raphael, though he wasn't sick like Love, and he was a smidgen more complex.

Perhaps, but I think they went for the REALLY GOOD GUY/REALLY BAD GUY scenario.
Now I have to write something here too otherwize I can't post this.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:40 PM   #199
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
I just saw the Mask of Zorro!
What did you think of the Swedish subtitles?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:22 PM   #200
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
I just saw The Incredibles.

I give it one million moots up!

Oh my gods! It was so fabulous! The hair. The HAIR!

People were complaining that the plot was rather dry, but that was because it was satirizing the dryness of every super hero film ever!

YAY!

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Closed Thread