Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 12:39 AM   #181
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
I looked up, surprised. The person who had spoken couldn't be who I thought it was. And yet, that voice was very distinctive, and in my heart I knew who was speaking to me. But, though he'd been one of the few who had known my real name, he'd never called me Lady Katharine before! Just Kathie, like my other friends. Nonetheless, I was glad to see my old friend.

"I'm Katharine Welsh, yes." I smiled. "I haven't seen you since ... well, since the last time I was in Middle Earth. How are you?"
Old 03-02-2003, 12:47 AM   #182
Fred Baggins
Belladona Gamgee of the night sky

Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning.
The voice faultered, the owner reprimanding himself for calling her Lady Kathrine. "Kathie, I have been well. Where did you go friend? You left us. We have all been greatly disturbed." Still the owner did not show himself.

*The bright eyes watched the goings on. They recognized the owner of the voice, gathering in the light, so he could he him, even if he stood in shadows. The raccon looked up, as his sharp ears caught shouting. The nice lady who feed him was upset. He scurried up to her window, he had more presents for the nice lady.*
Pacha:Most likely.
Cusco:Bring it on.
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
Yes, I'm female. Fred Baggins is my NICKNAME!
"The reason of the unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason, that with reason I complain of your beauty."~Don Quixote
"Once upon a time there was a magical land where it never rained. The End."~from the movie 'Holes'
()_))_Crayola_))_>
Old 03-02-2003, 12:55 AM   #183
Silverstripe

At that, I was slightly puzzled. "I went home, to Mundane Earth, whenever Calien returned. I TOLD Hunter that if I disappeared suddenly, it meant I had gone back to Mundane Earth. I thought he was going to tell the rest of the Kin that, though. Evidently he forgot."

It was difficult for me to imagine that Hunter had forgotten to tell the Kin I'd returned to Mundane Earth -- yet it was easier to imagine that than to believe the friend I was talking to would forget, if Hunter had told him where I'd gone.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:01 AM   #184
Fred Baggins

"O...ye-yes, of course, I remember now! H-how could I forget!" He stepped forward, fingering her har, but careful to keep his face hidden. He felt her tense, he smelled sudden fear enter her. "I always thought you're hair was so much softer than Calien's. Prettier too, that chestnut colour. Are you all right Lady Kathrine? I brought you something for your hair." He wove a crown of flowers into her hair. "Not that it improves it much." His voice seemed almost deeper than before.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:12 AM   #185
Silverstripe

Now I knew something was wrong. My old friend had never tried to flatter me before, and I didn't see why he would start now. But I decided to play along, and blushed as if embarrassed by the compliment. I've always been able to MAKE myself blush by thinking of embarrassing incidents in my life; a talent which had had little use before then.

"Thank you, my brother," I said, and the shyness in my voice was quite sincere, "though ... I forgot. I cannot claim to be of the Kin any longer."
Old 03-02-2003, 01:20 AM   #186
Fred Baggins

The figure seemed to grow angry. She would play along then would she. It was time to stop with games. The head of the shadow nodded. Of course. But I think you would find m'lady, that I am not as well." He stepped out of the shadows, sword in hand in case she took it into mind to scream, she would find her tounge cut out before she could do so. Luckly she would not.

He stroked her cheek. "Yes, m'lady, I always thought you're hair was more beautiful than that fool Calien's could ever be." He knelt down, and she relized that the darkness still seemed to cling to him. Of course it always had. He was Megil-Herdir. "M'lady, now you will not tell the Countess of finding good little Bigblith out here will you? She would have me killed. I need your held m'lady, Master Mauluk and I do."
"The reason of the unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason, that with reason I complain of your beauty."~Don Quixote
"Once upon a time there was a magical land where it never rained. The End."~from the movie 'Holes'
()_))_Crayola_))_>
Old 03-02-2003, 01:32 AM   #187
Silverstripe

I shuddered, and then, after a moment's consideration, said, "Why would I tell Faith about you? She'd be unlikely to believe me anyway, especially with you and Snakesnout ready to pretend ignorance. Actually, I think she already has her suspicions about me. Mauluk saw to that."

Now how do I know that?

At any rate, the statement was true. I didn't intend to tell Faith about Bigblith, and she probably wouldn't believe me.

I was more worried about his statement that he and Mauluk needed my help, but I would not respond to that until I knew more. And I was sure Bigblith would tell me more about the situation, though he might not be happy with me for ignoring what he said.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:50 AM   #188
Fred Baggins

"You will help us then? We need you, you are powerful enough to help us Lady Kathrine." He resheathed the sword. "The New Power needs your help Lady Kathrine. You could help lead us to victory. The Lord Mauluk can convice the Empress of our ways, but she still suspects him. You could help us Lady Kathrine. She trusts you. She trusts you more than she trusts Lord Mauluk or I." Why was he telling her all this? He knew that the Empress had tried to kill her. He knew she must feel betrayed. She could help. She could.

I walked through the horses, talking with them wondering which would help me. They all seemed to not notice me, or be to worried about what would happen if they helped me.

And that's when I saw her.
She was beutiful, an all white stallion, not even with a speck of brown or grey like all the other white horses I had seen. Her name was Wolf Chaser, or something like that. I wondered why. Of course that wasn't the name Calien--She was Calien's horse--had given her.
She would help me.
She was the fastest in the Kingdom, apparently trained by Starlight Adams. Not my Aunty.She would never be my Aunty anymore.
She was a good jumper.
I was a good rider.
I climbed to the top of the stall, after opening the door. She was patient enough while I climbed on her back and grabbed on her main.
She ran.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:06 AM   #189
Silverstripe

I shivered. Now I knew that Bigblith or Mauluk would probably kill me if I refused. Yet, despite the fact that Faith had tried to kill me, I still felt some loyalty towards her. Besides, Mauluk and his cohorts were up to no good. But, oh, I was so afraid of dying...

The darn voice will tell me to be noble and die. And it might be right, too.

Katharine Welsh ... to save Faith and yourself, you must become her enemy. The voice spoke, and said, to my shock, exactly the reverse of what I had expected. Never join them in spirit, Katharine. Act, but do not become one of them. Lie if you must ... remain courageous, and none will see through the lies, unless you want them to. But you must pretend to help them. They will kill every tree in the kingdom, else.

I wept as I gave my answer, and my tears were quite real.

"I'll help you," I whispered.

Last edited by Silverstripe : 03-02-2003 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:11 AM   #190
Fred Baggins

The Shadow nodded, and smiled. "You are wise Kathrine. Stop blubbering. I will give you your orders at nightfall tomorrow. Meet me outside the castle premises. You will receive a message sometime through the day as to where. Fare thee well m'lady." Before he left, he took the time to finger her hair again. "You deserve a crown more grand than mrealy flowers." Then he vanished, melting into the shadows.
()_))_Crayola_))_>
Old 03-02-2003, 03:03 AM   #191
Silverstripe

I winced internally as Bigblith left, but managed to look as though I was struggling not to cry.

Good, Katharine. You have done well. But beware -- in convincing others that your heart is truly with Mauluk, do not convince yourself.

Again I shuddered, this time at the thought that I could ever really want to help Snakesnout.

Though ... reluctantly, I admitted to myself that I hadn't been entirely unmoved by Bigblith's flattery. I wasn't a person who gets compliments all that often, sincere or otherwise. And no one had said they needed my help since Stephanie.

Stop that! I scolded myself for thinking that way.

No, I must never fall into that trap. Mauluk simply wanted to use me, and he would abandon me if -- when -- I lost my usefulness. He had already tried to kill me once; he certainly wouldn't hesitate to try again, if he felt it would benefit him. I couldn't let myself rely on Mauluk.

I was playing a dangerous game now. I'd have to tread carefully, between light and darkness.

ooc: *giggles* Adding "new" characters!

ic: The mare who was often called Anmara watched as Dawn Wilson mounted Wolf Chaser, her all-white daughter, and the only horse swifter than Anmara herself. The dark bay mare worried, for this daughter of hers had always been reckless, and this time it seemed that the younger mare would lead herself and Dawn Wilson to their doom.

Anmara was the lead mare, and thus she could communicate her wishes to the other horses, and they would obey her commands ... well, all but the stallions, perhaps. They were incredibly stubborn, and did not listen to anyone, unless they wanted to. Only Relladren was different.

Oh, Relladren was stubborn, all right, but he was also much more intelligent than the average horse, and usually paid attention to good counsel. And gave good counsel, too, which was how he had come to be seen as equal to Anmara.

So it was that Anmara and Relladren spoke to each other about this matter, and a few of the wisest mares. In the end, they agreed that they would send one of the noblest, hardiest mares after Dawn Wilson. Since they could not possibly hope to match Wolf Chaser's pace, speed was not as important as stealth, intelligence, and bravery. There was (the wisest among the horses decided) only one mare for the job.

The smart, plucky pony called Snowbunny.

Adrian's friend Grace had foolishly given the white pony back to Calien, after obtaining several horses of her own. She did not want to be in the Empress Calien's debt, but she didn't want to trade Snowbunny for one of her newer, "better" horses, either.

Grace's loss, the Writewraith's gain. And, it was to be hoped, Dawn's gain as well. With neighs of goodwill and best wishes from all the horses, Anmara sent Snowbunny on her way.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:56 PM   #192
Lubyla
Princess Lubyla Greenleaf of the Stars

Location: Sitting in a quiet forest, looking at the darkness and the stars...
"I have, in my...in Wolf's Bane.While training the horses that is.It was the same day that Andodulin came and..." I had said too much."Nevermind." I reached into my pocket of my cloak, and fingered the butterfly necklace.

``````````````````````````````
It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
It lies behind stars and under hills,
And empty holes it fills.
It comes first and follows after,
Ends life, kills laughter
`````````````````````````````
Old 03-02-2003, 04:40 PM   #193
Silverstripe

"Andodulin again," I muttered. "He deals only in lies."

'Yes,' said Terwell, so that even Starlight could hear him. 'So none of us trust him. But one day another may come: a master of deceit, but one who has ever spoken words that contain a grain of truth. And that one will be far more dangerous than Andodulin."

I looked surprised, then nodded. Terwell, like Primrose Brandybuck's companion Cyrell, showed remarkable wisdom at times.

"Aye, half-truths can be deadly," I agreed. Then, remembering that Starlight was there, I said, "Ah, Star, it's been a long time since you last saw the castle. Shall I show you around?"
Old 03-02-2003, 06:03 PM   #194
Lubyla

"Alright, I haven't seen it since before it was rebuilt. Who all is here?"I was excited about seeing the castle, where my home was SUPPOSE to be at first, but then, well, that. I remembered nothing really of the castle. Only the people with us, Lubyla, Calien, Faith, o we had had fun on the trip! I almost wished those days were back again.

Old 03-02-2003, 06:31 PM   #195
Fred Baggins

*Freddy scurried through the castle grounds, the bright glimmer of the Unisus left outside the grounds.* "Just plat the rumour and then leave. That's all Freddigar. Curses, I don't know who I'm sided with anymore. Countess, Empress, and this accursed New PO-" *he cut himself off. Just plat the rumour and be gone, that's all he had to do.*

"Well, well, well, Master Freddigar Burrows. I truley didn't expect you to come back here, not with the troubles and all."

*Freddy whirled around, looking for the owner of the voice, who was again hidden.* "I have a job to do, then I leave Bigblith. I am no servant of lies, not any more."

"O, but Freddy, you can't just stop what you are...WHO you are. Even now you play our game."

"His Game Bigblith, even you are to cowardly to belive you are a part of it. You are less than I, a mere pawn on the board."

"And what are you? A knight?"

"To him, perhaps I am a Biship, or the King. Or even a pawn, or knight. But I play on neither the white nor the black Bigblith. I play an entirely different game. Now if you'll excuse me..." * The place where Freddy once stood was now empty, and the colour shifting cloak surrounding him melted him into all around him.
()_))_Crayola_))_>
Old 03-02-2003, 06:37 PM   #196
Silverstripe

"Well, Adrian and Calliman are here, of course, and their children, and Adrian's nephew Elijah. Also most of the Kin, and Lily Brandybuck. Starletta is here as well. Sometimes other visitors arrive."

"All right," I said, smiling at Star. "Come with me. You'll need a place of your own to stay, of course -- I'm having that prepared now."

Taking Terwell and Lily Brandybuck with us, I showed Star around the castle: the various chambers, meetingrooms, the never-used ballroom, etc. She seemed to enjoy the tour. Finally, I said, "Since it's about time for dinner, I'll lead you to the kitchens and dining rooms."

I made a mental note to have Andodulin eat in another room, if possible. Then, I realized I'd forgotten to tell Star about him! Well, it was better that she hear the bad news from me than from Andodulin himself. Quickly, I started explaining to her about Andodulin's presence in the kingdom.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:48 PM   #197
Lubyla

I ejoyed the tour, and it was almost like old times. We made our way to the kitchen, and I was told about Andodulin. "Well, then my stay may be shorter than I thought. I'm sorry, truely. He is just...well...lets just say not one of my favorite people right now." I told her of my 'Adventure' with him.

Old 03-02-2003, 07:04 PM   #198
Silverstripe

"So, that was what he was up to. In that case, Starlight, you should certainly stay. Andodulin cannot yet harm you here, especially with Starletta and I watching over you, but if you left the kingdom, I'm sure he'd track you. And then you wouldn't have any of your friends with you."

I sighed, and whispered confidentially, "If it were not for my responsibilities to the Writewraiths and the Kin, Star, I'd probably leave the kingdom myself. Perhaps go see my parents in Lorien. Or maybe I'd explore Mundane Earth, and take you along -- that is, if you wanted to go."

And then, in an even softer whisper, "Star, I'm having trouble leading both the Kin and the Writewraiths. It takes up more time than I have, and were I not an elf, I'd have aged thirty years or more by now! I'm thinking about resigning as the leader of the Kin, in which case they will hold another election. One thing is troubling me about that idea, though. I'm afraid they might still choose Mauluk."
Old 03-02-2003, 07:16 PM   #199
Lubyla

"I can understand that, though how can they, if he is not with them really? He does not act like the Kin. But then, I do not know them well enough to say, for I am not one of the Kin. I shall stay then, if it is your wish, for I know not where I would go, and more than likely die of either starvation, or be attacked by wild wargs." I smiled at this. everyone knew I couldn't last more than a day in the wilderness alone. "But, I shall earn my keep. Surely there are things needed to be done around here?"

Old 03-02-2003, 07:31 PM   #200
Silverstripe

I laughed. "Star, don't you see? You're earning your keep just by being here! But if you really want something to do, we do have need of a good horse trainer."

Just then, one of the servents -- Ellewen was her name -- walked in, goggling at Star.

"M'ladies," she said, bowing to Star and me, then running to the kitchen where she worked. I sighed, wishing the rumor (which happened to be true) about Starlight's being my cousin, had not traveled quite so fast. And that Ellewen wasn't so in awe of royalty.

I'd tried to convince Ellewen and the others that they need not be so subservient. Some of them had listened. Others, like Ellewen, hadn't believed me when I told them I thought that all people were worthwhile, and everyone should have a certain amount of freedom.
Closed Thread