FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2004, 02:20 PM   #181
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

that's huge! big congrats!!
Old 08-20-2004, 03:01 PM   #182
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yeah! Much bigger than happy...more like finally satisfied! How exciting! Good for you!
Old 08-20-2004, 04:08 PM   #183
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

My goodness, we have some sharp cookies at Entmoot!

My kids went to chess camp this week (my husband's family really enjoys chess) and I thought I'd share my middle son's conclusion - "bishops stink!" (he's 9 yrs old)

I didn't realize that bishops were less points than rooks - I need to get up to speed here!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:15 PM   #184
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I may as well post my accomplishment now, since I don't see another one coming.....pretty much ever.

When I left Entmoot I concentrated on my studies, which resulted in me achieving the highest scores for my papers in the country (national university), two of which were published by an academic journal (and RÃ*an has read both). I thought the first one was nothing to write home about, and the second was good-ish.

Oh well, that all went to hell. Now I R lazy slacker.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:27 PM   #185
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That's great, J.! Congrats!

Now why would you let that (and/or yourself ) go to hell? Keep at it! Things that are worth achieving take time and effort, but ARE worth it.

How did that meeting go? (and is this related?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 08-20-2004, 04:28 PM   #186
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
...my papers...were published by an academic journal...
Relics of an ancient motivation.
Paper 1.
Paper 2.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:38 PM   #187
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Now why would you let that (and/or yourself ) go to hell? Keep at it! Things that are worth achieving take time and effort, but ARE worth it.
Bleh. Couldn't be less motivated if I tried. I started the B.Th because there were parts of Christianity that interested me. The curriculum just wasn't suited to me. I care not....
Quote:
How did that meeting go? (and is this related?)
Not related, but the meeting went well. As far as his regional superiors go, his job seems safe. Problem is, the national suits could care less for his 23 year career.

Anyway, I lied. I said I didn't see another accomplishment coming ever. Meanwhile, I'm leading my class in a regional "Streetcar Challenge" championship, and I'm currently runner-up in my class in another club's championship. So we'll see what happens there.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:20 PM   #188
Rían

Well, if you're not happy with the curriculum, then it only makes sense to drop it. But I hope you can find something else that will get you out of your "lazy slacker" mood - you could accomplish a lot if you wanted to

I'm glad the meeting went well!

Old 08-20-2004, 06:07 PM   #189
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
When I left Entmoot I concentrated on my studies, which resulted in me achieving the highest scores for my papers in the country (national university), two of which were published by an academic journal (and RÃ*an has read both). I thought the first one was nothing to write home about, and the second was good-ish.
Ooh, that's quite an accomplishment. I mean, wow! Congratulations
So do you recommend the rest of us to leave Entmoot if we want to get better scores in school?

I did not leave Entmoot and therefore I did not get the highest scores in the country for my test in advanced Cambridge English. But I passed and got the best grade, a beautiful big 'A'. It cost a fortune to take the test but I guess it was worth it.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:54 PM   #190
Rían

Hey, congrats, Jonathan!!

Old 08-20-2004, 11:09 PM   #191
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Andúril and Sun-Star, those are absolutely amazing achievements. We do indeed have quite a few smart cookies here!
Andúril, you may not have thought much of it, but clearly others did. Maybe you underestimate how good you are, or overestimate how bad others are.

Sun-star, it's wonderful to achieve a goal you've been working towards for a long time. Great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I did not leave Entmoot and therefore I did not get the highest scores in the country for my test in advanced Cambridge English. But I passed and got the best grade, a beautiful big 'A'. It cost a fortune to take the test but I guess it was worth it.
HaHA! What did I tell you? Your English is far superior to mine, it's near-perfect...and so forth. Gratulerar! I wonder how your friend went, the one who fell asleep in the test room .
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:20 AM   #192
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Thanks RÃ*an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
HaHA! What did I tell you? Your English is far superior to mine, it's near-perfect...and so forth. Gratulerar! I wonder how your friend went, the one who fell asleep in the test room .
Yeah right

Um, my friend got even better scores. I guess his few minutes of sleep did him good
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:42 AM   #193
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I recieved my AS Level results on Thursday. I passed all of them, and did better than I thought I ever would!

I got a B for English Literature - I was told that I could have got a A, if my coursework marks didn't drag it down a bit, because I got A's and for my two exams. A bit of a happy shock there.

For Classical Civilisation I got a C. Which was another pleasant surprise. Everyone thought that was funny as well. We were all expecting a D for that.

For Film Studies I got a C - I had to ring up for that result, because it was an after school class, I was even told that I did better than they thought for that. My coursework was a D, and my exams a B.

For Language I got a D, but I supose I could have got a C. But for one of my exam modules I got either a U (which is ungraded) or a low E, meaning that I probably failed that one. But I'm going to have a word with my teachers, and may resit that exam in January, to try and bump up my grade!

Yay!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:50 AM   #194
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Congradulation Lalaith Elf!
Old 08-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #195
Haradrim

I have just reached my own goal. I have succesfully completed 78 hours of straight mooting. Eru that was hard. Oh well Ill sleep tonight.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:16 AM   #196
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
I have just reached my own goal. I have succesfully completed 78 hours of straight mooting. Eru that was hard. Oh well Ill sleep tonight.
Oh my ....!

You get yourself to sleep, young man! Where are your parents? Even in the height of my Entmoot obsession, I never stayed on nearly that long. Go to BED!
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:33 AM   #197
Haradrim

I can handle it. Ive stayed up longer just never straight posting
Old 08-21-2004, 03:45 PM   #198
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
Ah, now you truly have been assimilated. Life? Who needs it?
Old 08-21-2004, 05:38 PM   #199
Haradrim

exactly my menatality I go outside and I exercise so why not exercize mind power through debtes with fellow mooters and interesting discussions. I am really just talking to my friends except that I am not on the phone so you know I think it is reasonable to stay up all night. You should try it zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Actually I went to sleep from noon to 5 today
Old 08-21-2004, 07:07 PM   #200
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

That insanity. 78 hours of 'mooting? I don't think anyone has ever done tha before. That might explain the 200+ posts in a few days.
But I suppose, and hope, it's only because you're excited by the new super-great Tolkien forum? Becasue I don't think it's healthy to sit even 2 hours in front of the screen without a break.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote