Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 07:59 PM   #181
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
I know, I hate that you can do double vowells for long ones, except i and a! but I guess double a would look kinda funny... 6 dots IS kinda overdoing it... and double i would look kinda like A...

I think you would have to do g, a over long carrier, z, then silent e, but I wouldn't know; You're teaching me (sorta)! LOL. But it seems more accurate.
yeah, 6 dots is a bit much... and two dots would look like an 'a' *sigh* too bad he didn't invent a vowel-doubling symbol that would go on top of the vowel mark. oh well.

yeah, I think the way you said to do 'gaze' is more accurate, but - drat, I just hate the way those long carriers look! I don't know why. They just seem to break up the look of a word in an ugly way. oh well. And you're doing great! I'm just passing on what I've already read up on - I had a 6-month start on you!

OK, here's an example I just thought of - 'has' and 'haze'. Most of the time I write final 's' as a 'z', because that's what it sounds like and I like the look of the 'z' better. So 'has' would be 'h', 'a' over 'z'. But if I had to write 'haze', I would definitely do 'h', 'a' over long carrier, 'z', then silent-e under 'z', because it would sound like 'has' otherwise! But for a word like 'gaze', I would probably just do 'g', 'a' over 'z', then silent-e under 'z', because there is no word "gaz" (short 'a') and I think people would probably figure it out. Maybe I'm wrong ...

Anyway, don't worry about asking too many questions, I love to talk Tengwar! I need to get off for the day, though - I've had too much fun here and have been on too long! and I need to get some other stuff done. If you have time, try reading back over the thread, because lots of people have posted many good comments. Have fun! and good luck with the printout *cough*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-08-2002, 09:16 PM   #182
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an

and I need to get some other stuff done.
can i guess? laundry? (you seem to talk about doing the laundry a lot...)

i gave my friend a sheet i made up so she can learn! i am excited. only she hasn't read any tolkien except the first few pages of the hobbit which she found boring. *sigh* that will be cool when she learns it though. i think that it should be apparent by the context whether it is a has or haze. i vote for doing it whichever way looks best to you.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:25 PM   #183
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by katya
can i guess? laundry? (you seem to talk about doing the laundry a lot...)
LOL! Believe me, it's not because I like it, either! Rather it is to make an irksome and never-ending task a little lighter.

Quote:
i gave my friend a sheet i made up so she can learn! i am excited. only she hasn't read any tolkien except the first few pages of the hobbit which she found boring. *sigh* that will be cool when she learns it though. i think that it should be apparent by the context whether it is a has or haze. i vote for doing it whichever way looks best to you.
Oh how nice for you - that will be fun. I hope she likes LoTR eventually. And that's a great point about context - you're right. I like to write things however they look the nicest to me, and only if it could be confusing do I go more by spelling than sound. Have you switched over to the #29 for 's'? I have, and I really like it. I write it from bottom to top, because if I write it from top to bottom, it looks like the number '6'. When I write it from bottom to top, it looks really neat. I'll have to get an attachment on later today, if possible, and show you.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-09-2002, 04:02 PM   #184
katya
Elven Maiden

i have always done #29 for 's'. most of the time except once in a while where a word has a lot o them i use #30 once. a lot of #29 looks a bit odd. i do it top to bottom. mine look more like backwards 'j's than 6's.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:31 PM   #185
Rían

Whoops, maybe it was TC who was switching over.. Anyway, I have, and I like #29 better.

*tries #29 top to bottom again* Yes, I can see how it might look like a backwards 'j'. You might want to try writing it from the bottom up - at least for me, it gives it a much cooler look, for some reason. I guess because my hand has made so many 6's over the years that it subconsciously tries to make another 6!

Old 10-15-2002, 02:40 PM   #186
Rían

I was getting a Chai Latte in Starbucks today (hot spiced tea, really good! it's cold and foggy here in Calif. today) and scribbling some Tengwar while I was waiting, and thought it would be fun to leave my paper on a table and come back and watch people looking at it, wondering what it is... anyone done that? Any updates?

Old 10-15-2002, 05:04 PM   #187
katya
Elven Maiden

oh my gosh I have to try that!
the other day i was in english taking notes and for the letters in my outline i used tengwar and my teacher needed to look at my notes for a second, and he was like, "i can't read this." it was kind of funny.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:29 PM   #188
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Heh

Yeah, yesterday in Bible Class I had to do some memory verse paper where I had to fill in like every other word (a 2 page memory verse... whoah). I did it in Tengwar for practice, and my teacher collected it next day and was confuzzled. She knew I was learning it, so I asked her if I should translate it in to english really quick. She was like, "No, as long as you can read it, it's practice for you...." I think that was very gracious of her, considering it's a graded worksheet and I could have scribbled all over it and told her it was Unicornish.

-~*Sminty*~-
Old 10-15-2002, 10:22 PM   #189
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Gaaah...sorry I haven't posted on this thread in quite awhile; my schedule's been unusually hectic, even for me. Heehee, Rian - must try that!

My bookcover in English class has Tengwar scribbles all over it, and I wrote Frodo Lives!!!!! on my fave teacher's blackboard in Tengwar - he left it up there! I'm so happy.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-16-2002, 11:44 AM   #190
Rían

wow, you guys have some pretty neat teachers!

I wish we could all be magically transported to the same Starbucks where we could try that little thing and laugh together! Alas, TC is in Boston, Sminty in Florida, I'm in California and katya ... I don't remember - where are you? (however exact/nonexact you feel comfortable with - East Coast, West Coast, etc. But if you were in Washington state that would be funny, we would pretty much cover the 4 corners of the US! ) (Actually, I think Snowdog is from around there - but he hasn't posted for awhile - where are you, Snowdog? Snowed in?)

Last edited by Rían : 10-16-2002 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:36 PM   #191
Sminty_Smeagol

I love that teacher! She is the nicest person I know, and she's an all-out god-loving peacie-hippie let's-stimulate-your-brains I-love-you woman (I think I kinda over did it with the -)! She teaches a bit about the Bible that I disagree with (i'm a different denomination... dunno if anyone understands what I'm talking about, cuz I dunno if you're christian or not), but she's still cool.

I love coffee but I don't know if we even have a starbucks around here, except maybe in the books a million- does that count?
Old 10-16-2002, 03:49 PM   #192
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Where in California are you from, Rian? North or South? I have a friend in the Lake Arrowhead area, Twin Peaks, that's all.

Heh, yeah. That'd be so much fun! We could compromise and all meet in Kansas...

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-16-2002, 04:52 PM   #193
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I finally had some time to devote to tengwar. I've made little cards with the tengwar and their english soundcounterparts. I hope I can go over them in the mornings and evenings on the bus when I return from school. It's a silly way to learn something, I guess, but it worked for the chemical compounds so I'm hoping this works too.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:42 PM   #194
Rían

That doesn't sound silly, Eärniel - sounds like a good idea, and a great way to use time on a boring bus trip. Check back earlier on this thread, if you have time, I think all of us wrote some tips on how we memorized (I know I did). I hope you have a scanner that works or some other way to show us your Tengwar

Kansas, here we come! I wish

<------- TC - my location I've been to Lake Arrowhead many times. My husband's company had a house right on the lake that the upper-level managers got to use - had a boat and a private dock and everything! Sigh - they sold it a few years ago I live in Ventura county, to be a little more exact, if you know where that is. Southern Californians can have a reputation of being all gaa-gaa about movie stars, being tan and having plastic surgery, etc., which is TOTALLY not me, so I wrote the NORTHERN part of S. Cal, which is really very nice.

Last edited by Rían : 10-16-2002 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:23 PM   #195
TinuvielChild
Padawan

ooops...I never look at anyone's locations anymore! Silly TC.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-16-2002, 10:14 PM   #196
Rían

I like knowing people's (at least approximate) locations so I know about when to look for posts from them. I'll look for East Coasters and Brits in the morning, etc.

Old 10-17-2002, 12:40 PM   #197
Earniel

I do have a scanner which I will use to bore you all to near death with my pathetic scribbles as soon as I can write them. Memorising is going to take a little while since the bus is often very full so I have to stand and then I don't have enough free hands to hold my cards. Also I'm trying to learn the quenya sound equivalents and the english sounds in one go.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:39 PM   #198
Sminty_Smeagol

Hey... I made a fancy siggy for my name in Tengwar (My name is Elizabeth actually...) Can you read it? You like?

-~*Sminty*~-
PS- Sorry it's sloppy... I did it with a mouse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myname.jpg (2.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-17-2002, 03:12 PM   #199
Earniel

That's indeed very fancy looking, Sminty! It's not sloppy, I think it's a very pretty design.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:27 PM   #200
TinuvielChild
Padawan

V. cool. Much prettiness, smintz! Earniel, keep learning the symbols! V. much fun when you have them down...I occasionally write notes to myself in the margin of my homeworks in Tengwar - or things about evil teachers, since I know that my teachers can't read it!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Closed Thread