Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 09:08 AM   #181
Sween
im quite stupid

the point of the euro is that we are not really looking after our intrests by staying out of it. Britian need to join. but there is a great deal of misunderstanding of what the euro is. People seem to think that we will have our tax rates run from frankfurt etc and we wont have any control.

the government has shot it self in the foot by saying a referendum will take place when the genral population is not informed to make the descision. If it goes to referendum i fear we will not enter.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:16 AM   #182
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Eat Big Macs you heathens!

*uses BMc-3 to hose the crowd with double fried fatty patties*

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 07-29-2002, 12:11 AM   #183
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

sorry, i meant to delete this last night but i forgot. i passed out right here at the computer desk around two.

Quote:
Since your view of Americans is so shallow - don't let the door hit you on the way out.
im sure i can manage a door.

Last edited by LuthienTinuviel : 07-29-2002 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:37 AM   #184
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Since your view of Americans is so shallow - don't let the door hit you on the way out.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 07-29-2002, 01:45 AM   #185
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Wow LT, How can all that be! Everynight when I thank the God I technically don't believe in for all my blessings, being an American is right up at the top of the list. I love my country!!!
Old 07-29-2002, 06:46 AM   #186
Sween
im quite stupid

thats funny you lot may all love it but most of the outside world hate it. Yeah i forgot that the majority of people do see you as fat and stupid. Could it that unequally funded education system Jerseydevil?
Old 07-29-2002, 07:27 AM   #187
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Gee Sween.....First of all, what a bunch of bull, and second, For me, it doesn't matter! (what you think)

Last edited by Lizra : 07-29-2002 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:21 AM   #188
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Lets at least not reduce ourselves to flinging stereotypes.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:32 AM   #189
Sween
im quite stupid

i apoligise im in one of my mean moods today. think ill go for a swim that will b nice
Old 07-29-2002, 09:58 AM   #190
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Lets at least not reduce ourselves to flinging stereotypes.
Quite right, last time I flung a stereotype I broke it! Still, gave me an excuse to buy a CD player instead...

....or am I?
Old 07-29-2002, 10:24 AM   #191
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
thats funny you lot may all love it but most of the outside world hate it. Yeah i forgot that the majority of people do see you as fat and stupid. Could it that unequally funded education system Jerseydevil?
Can't help it if some areas of the country have less desire for education than other parts. Education has far less to do with money than to do with desire. I'd hate to remind you - but England - even Great Britain - is only the size of some of our smaller states. It's a lot easier to have a national educational system under those circumstances.

Also - speaking of unequally funded education - I guess the coal miners of Wales get the same education as the suburbs of London. And if public education in England is so acceptable - why is Prince Harry and William going to Eaton. It seems if you can afford it - you dont' send your children to public school in England.

I think you should go swimming and stop talking about something you know nothing about. You've never even been to the US. And really - people from outside the US have no say in what we do domestically - just like I feel we don't have a right to say what other countries do domestically. I hate it when people say we should do things - when they don't even understand how our Constitution works or what major role the states play.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-29-2002 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:54 AM   #192
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Our educational system IS discraceful for as rich a country as we are. We talk about equality of opportunity, but the reality is that public schools in rich counties are better funded. Even within the rcih counties, the neiborhood you live in determines what quality of school you will have. Crime is rampant in public schools as well.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-29-2002, 10:55 AM   #193
Draken
Elf Lord

Yup, England and Wales are about the same size as California I'd guess, popultion wise. And actually there isn't a standardised British system as Scotland has a distinctly different system. Running a unified system across a continent would be mighty tricky, I'd imagine.

Actually there's only one working mine left in South Wales so that wouldn't be a very representative sample. But yes the state schools in that area would receive funding under the same formulae as schools in London, say. A chunk of schools' money is allocated to them via their local authority, with another chunk awarded directly to each school. Funding is based on per capita with some age weighting, with "special cases" allowed (eg if one school had lots of essential maintenance work needing to be done one year, say). There will be local differences due to authority policy, but if people don't like those differences they can vote their councillors out of office.

The kids there would be taught the same curriculum as the London kids and all sit the same exams at the same ages - with the proviso (in Wales) that Welsh language is available as an additional subject and the syllabus is bilingual.

Independent schools are funded by how much money they make as businesses (well, they're actually all registered "charities"). The top schools charge the rich a fortune to educate their little darlings, and as such can afford the best resources and teachers. Would be nice to live in a society where private schools weren't necessary, but for now such is life - user pays, market forces and all that.

....or am I?
Old 07-29-2002, 10:56 AM   #194
Sween
im quite stupid

Public school is fine. I have no problem with that at all indeed if you have the cash its better than the normal system by far. My cousins went to a public school as day boys. they did lots more sport and had supervised homework (i never fully understood homework why send us home to do more work? i think it was a governments sly way of teaching us to lie).

Well i think that we pay per pupil but obvosly a school in Central lon will have a lot higher overheads than a school in wales also lilly to have more pupils i went to a small school and we didnt have the best facilities we didnt have a pupils to sustain a good sports hall or decent computer room.

there aint many coal miners left anywhere in this country im affraid . I think its a bit harsh to lable areas where people dont want to work on a large level. sure lots of inner citys schools will have a lot of people only seeing out time b4 they become drug dealers but i firmly believe most want to work and will work given the right circumstances.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:07 AM   #195
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Our educational system IS discraceful for as rich a country as we are. We talk about equality of opportunity, but the reality is that public schools in rich counties are better funded. Even within the rcih counties, the neiborhood you live in determines what quality of school you will have. Crime is rampant in public schools as well.
I don't know how the US stacks up funding wise against other countries. I do know that education wise we don't always stack up. I really care mostly about how New Jersey stacks up - the other states can worry about themselves. NJ spends the most per student. But a lot of the worst schools in NJ get more funding than the good schools. But this is all part of the Education Thread.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-29-2002 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:49 PM   #196
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Draken
Yup, England and Wales are about the same size as California I'd guess, popultion wise. And actually there isn't a standardised British system as Scotland has a distinctly different system. Running a unified system across a continent would be mighty tricky, I'd imagine.
I looked up the size of Great Britain (England, Wales Scotland) - it's 84,400 square miles. California is 158,706 square miles. Great Britain is equivalent to the size of Minnesota (84,402 sqare miles) which is the 12th largest state. According to http://www.english.agava.ru/country/gb-pop.htm- "the population of Great Britain (1995 estimate) is about 58,093,000" - California has a population of 31,878,234 per the 1996 census and has the largest population. Minnesota has 4,657,758 people in it and is 20th in population size.

The Russia website that I supplied also gives some information on Great Britain's educational system.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-29-2002 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:24 PM   #197
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Eat french fries you heathens!

Eat Hamburgers!

Frankfurters!

Pizza!

Stuff yourself of the fat of the land, and let us numb you into complacency with soothing images of pointy nippled models dancing rythmically to angst driven muzak!

The Romans got nothing on us.

I want a T-shirt with a picture of Homer Simpson wearing an Uncle Sam hat and eating a doughnut shaped world!

Isolationism is so boring, but it would probably be an interesting experiment for the next 50 years.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 07-29-2002, 02:57 PM   #198
Cirdan

Don't forget coffee!

Go to Starbucks!

Visit the mall... there will be something there that you don't need but can buy anyway!

Get a huge car! Saving gas is for poor people!

Mmmmmm... doughnuts and television!
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-29-2002, 03:16 PM   #199
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Don't forget coffee!

Go to Starbucks!

Visit the mall... there will be something there that you don't need but can buy anyway!

Get a huge car! Saving gas is for poor people!

Mmmmmm... doughnuts and television!
Everyone's free choice. Or would you rather live where everything is dictated to you? Because - although I hate gas guzzling oversized SUVs - I am 100% against the government telling people what to buy. The reason why I hate them has less to do with the envionment (although when it comes to the hypocrits in California that drive them) than the fact that I can't see around them when I'm pulling out of a parking space.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 07-29-2002, 04:33 PM   #200
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil

Everyone's free choice. Or would you rather live where everything is dictated to you? Because - although I hate gas guzzling oversized SUVs - I am 100% against the government telling people what to buy. The reason why I hate them has less to do with the envionment (although when it comes to the hypocrits in California that drive them) than the fact that I can't see around them when I'm pulling out of a parking space.
No, I love it here... That's because I can make fun of our vacuous social culture without being imprisoned.

SUVs should definitely be taxed extra. What a public nuisance! They are dangerous to other drivers in all situations. I'm thinking of starting a custom mud spraying shop so that SUVs can look like they have actually been off-road.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Closed Thread