Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-24-2011, 03:22 AM   #181
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Well, you're busy - do what you can

I'm proud of myself - I just changed my very first string! My A-string popped -again- and before I had a teacher change it for me. When it popped out here, we drove 30 minutes to the nearest harp teacher and had her change it for me (plus give me a lesson). But I decided, enough is enough! I need to be a (wo)man and do this! (I never could tie that dratted harpists' knot right). And I did it!!!! The string immediately recognized my change in attitude and meekly went right into the knot, and I strung it and brought it up to pitch, and had a wonderful time playing for an hour.

Plus my inventive husband made me a nice music stand - I'll have to get a picture of it. It really helps to have a music stand, and I was just improvising one and it wasn't working well. So I had an idea about how I wanted it (didn't want to buy one - they're just kinda ugly) and he got out his wood and table saw and made it for me and it works great!!!!! I love it!! It really helps to have a stand.

So how is the Cardboard Harp of Gondor holding its tuning now? You must have tied mucho harpists' knots stringing that baby! or did they have little dealies on the end?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:29 AM   #182
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
I'm proud of myself - I just changed my very first string!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
The string immediately recognized my change in attitude and meekly went right into the knot, and I strung it and brought it up to pitch, and had a wonderful time playing for an hour.

Quote:
Plus my inventive husband made me a nice music stand - I'll have to get a picture of it.
I would -love- to see that! Photos are a must. I love my music stand... really can't get by without it.

Quote:
So how is the Cardboard Harp of Gondor holding its tuning now? You must have tied mucho harpists' knots stringing that baby! or did they have little dealies on the end?
I did 22 knots, and actually had to redo a few of them later because I realized they were slipping. So more like 25? No dealies on the end of mine, although (as per the instructions) I did feed a little piece of the thicker gauge string through the knots of the thinner gauge string so that the knots wouldn't just pop through the holes!

The tuning is holding nicely! Still waiting to get it on the body (busy weekend with driving up to the concert with my sister, and then cleaning ALL of the things ) which my sister needs to finish painting. Hopefully this Friday or Saturday the Cardboard Harp of Gondor will be complete!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:56 AM   #183
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I don't know why they don't put little stopper dealies on the end of the string, like guitar strings. Maybe because you can usually get several strings out of one length. But probably mostly because it's just traditional.

Waiting to get it on the body? What does that mean?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #184
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
I don't know why they don't put little stopper dealies on the end of the string, like guitar strings. Maybe because you can usually get several strings out of one length. But probably mostly because it's just traditional.
That would be my best guess, aside from the fact that it would probably increase the cost of manufacturing them.

Quote:
Waiting to get it on the body? What does that mean?
The cardboard soundbox is not yet complete.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #185
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Oh, forgot: Today I ordered her book of O'Carolan tunes and her theory/arranging book.

Rian, when I start arranging would you be willing to trade arrangements with me? I don't know if you take the time to notate yours (either with chord symbols/outlines) but I usually do, and if you do too we could have a lot of fun trading tunes.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #186
Midge
Faithful Gardener

On a violin note, I have a new aspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fHT4kT0C_M

And apparently a LOT of violin players are pretty big nerds:
Gerudo Valley
Song of Storms

And then one guy just decided to do them all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Trgiz1sDek
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #187
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Ben Chan is one of my absolute faves.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #188
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
The cardboard soundbox is not yet complete.
But how are you playing, then? Or did you stop playing for now?

Quote:
Oh, forgot: Today I ordered her book of O'Carolan tunes and her theory/arranging book.
Let me know how you like the O'Carolan book - I don't have that one. I have the Teach Yourself to Play book, the Theory and Arranging book, the 50 Irish melodies book, the Hymns and Wedding Music book (inherited from my mom, but I just opened it up the other day and her arrangements are quite nice, and it's one of those books that have two arrangements - a basic one and a harder one) and the Harp of Brandiswhiere Suite (which I highly recommend for your next purchase).

Quote:
Rian, when I start arranging would you be willing to trade arrangements with me? I don't know if you take the time to notate yours (either with chord symbols/outlines) but I usually do, and if you do too we could have a lot of fun trading tunes.
Sure, I'd love to, if I get the keyboard hookup to Garage Band going. It just takes too long to notate, because I don't use chords per se, so I want to put down every note, and it would be SO much faster if I could just play it into Garage Band. I have an arrangement of She Moved Thru the Fair that I'm rather proud of and I'd love to share with you if I can get this going.

How do you notate? And how would we share them - fax it? Do you have Garage Band? if so, maybe they have files that we could share that way - that'd be super neat!

Last edited by Rían : 10-25-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #189
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
On a violin note, I have a new aspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fHT4kT0C_M

And apparently a LOT of violin players are pretty big nerds:
Gerudo Valley
Song of Storms

And then one guy just decided to do them all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Trgiz1sDek
Oops! The Gerudo Valley one didn't work... Here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV5HCCqbb5w
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #190
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

My sister is putting the finishing touches on the Cardboard Harp of Gondor as I type. O_o

I am totes gonna post pictures later tonight when she finishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #191
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

BEHOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow I'mma glue the whole thing together.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:29 AM   #192
Rían

awww, that is SO cool!!!!

Tell your sister good job!

I'll get up a picture of my music stand when I can find my photobucket password ... is there a better way to host pictures nowadays?

Old 10-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #193
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

<-- official seal of approval by Eärniel Artcritics Inc.

Now that's a very elegant design. Not just the tree, but the seven stars as well! Tell your sister she has fans on the internet.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #194
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Very nice, Tessar!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #195
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
<-- official seal of approval by Eärniel Artcritics Inc.

Now that's a very elegant design. Not just the tree, but the seven stars as well! Tell your sister she has fans on the internet.

Cardboards harps are, by nature, the epitome of elegance. For example, you would never catch two lady harps showing up at a party accidentally dressed the same way. Because cardboard harps are classy as hell.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #196
Earniel

Right, just as nobody is every going to show up at a rehearsal with another Cardboard Harp of Gondor. It's just not done.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #197
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Right, just as nobody is every going to show up at a rehearsal with another Cardboard Harp of Gondor. It's just not done.
You're started to understand the cardboard harp, and I can only complement you for how quickly you seem to be picking up the culture.... moving from the sheer ignorance of "what's a cardboard harp?" to understanding rehearsal etiquette is quite impressive.

I got my books!!!!!! I'm so excited!! I didn't get to see them till 11:30 last night, when I got home, but I played through Elainor Plunkett a few times (one of my absolute favorite tunes) and the arrangement is SO lovely.

I faltered through the advanced right-hand part of it a few times, but I need to take a closer look and get the inversions in my head before I can play it smoothly. No advanced left hand stuff yet.

I love Clannad, and I've always thought they had one of the loveliest versions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdZR85Rkm8M

It's so sweet and melancholy, and they play it with a lot of feeling.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #198
Earniel

Quote:
You're started to understand the cardboard harp, and I can only complement you for how quickly you seem to be picking up the culture.... moving from the sheer ignorance of "what's a cardboard harp?" to understanding rehearsal etiquette is quite impressive.
Ringht. So it's probably not a good time to go askin' if that cardboard can take the pressure of them strings?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:57 AM   #199
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Luckily the wooden frame takes all of the strain, but actually the wooden sounding board has warped and bowed "upwards." But I knew to expect that.

I finally got off my butt and got the harp done. I turned a 4 hour job into a month-long project. But I did it! It sounds lovely... the soundbox has added a LOT of volume. It's still very quiet, of course, but it's a lot louder with that soundbox.

Rian: some exciting news for me. My teacher was invited to play at an Irish Cultural Society event in December, and she asked me if I would like to tag along and play one or two pieces.

So of COURSE I said yes. Then I reminded her that I'm a singer so I'll be hopefully singing a piece or two with her accompanying me. What fun!

Then apparently the coordinator was charmed by the idea of her having a student seeking performance opportunities, and invited me to come do some 'background' music for about 15 minutes before their January meeting.

I'm so excited! I'm going to try to work up Elanor Plunkett and maybe Sheebeg and Sheemore for December, and then find a few more tunes to work up for January. 15 minutes... that's probably around five pieces, if I do repeats and don't play fast.

Also, today I finally figured out how to roll chords properly. I'm very proud of myself... I've been having to roll the chords -very- slowly this whole time... basically an arpeggio. But today I finally "got" it and I can do them!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:59 AM   #200
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Oh my. This arrangement (Grainné Hambly) just about brought me to tears... so beautiful! And so sensitively played... just listen to those harmonies and dissonances.

http://youtu.be/BxPnsIRCECU