Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2002, 01:39 PM   #181
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I think Mery and Pippen got magical blades as well, to cover the plot about the barrow blades later in the RotK.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 02:00 PM   #182
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

I sure hope so, coz it means that we've a chance of seeing Merry sticking it up the Witchking (treacherously or otherwise)! I reckon this is what they were setting up in the gift scene. I fully expect the rope to come to Sam's call as well.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 03:21 PM   #183
azalea
Long lost mooter

The burp wasn't that big a deal, just un-Tolkien-like. It was cheap and unnecessary, but it's not like I was outraged or turned off the movie immediately or anything.

Was Rose a bar maid in the book? I didn't remember that.

Rian, I forgot to mention in my last post that I have "color" issues, too, with BOTH of my dvds, but I think it's because I have a very old tv. I have to adjust it a little so everyone doesn't look green.

I've been listening to PJ (et al)'s commentary, and it's interesting to hear how decisions were made about how things were to be done, although I still don't agree with all of the decisions .
I'll be listening to the cast's commentary next!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 03:28 PM   #184
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Rose was a farmer's daughter............Tolkien didn't mention if she had another job .............. did he?

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 06:23 PM   #185
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I've been listening to PJ (et al)'s commentary, and it's interesting to hear how decisions were made about how things were to be done, although I still don't agree with all of the decisions .
I'll be listening to the cast's commentary next!
I felt the same way, although for some things they gave good explainations. I felt they were caught in a couple of paradigms. The idea that movies must accelerate in action through the end seems non-artistic. The other is the desire to change for the sake of change. The stair of Khazad-dum is a good example. It seems to be a pet change of PJs and no one said "Is this worth cutting the character scenes?" I found the added scenes with Galadriel greatly enhanced the flow and overall feel of the film.

Having said that I must add that I was even more impressed than before with the level of effort put into the film. The pressure of trying tyo create under the circumstance of a budgert that size with the time constraints they had must have been extrordinarily difficult. I am not worthy.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 11-19-2002, 09:31 PM   #186
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

OMG! I finally, finally, got the Extended Version!!! It's sooooo cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite part (among all the new scenes) has got to be
when Boromir and Aragorn argue by the Great River.

It's so cool! And Sam is so cute in the boats!
Old 11-19-2002, 10:49 PM   #187
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
Right on! Rabelais rules!
??? Did he say that? I just made it up!

Quote:
with a dwarf, you can never tell whether it's him speaking or not.
LOL!

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Peter Sellers is the only comedian to successfully portray the silent-but-violent fart on screen. That scene in the lift with a bunch of gangsters in one of the Pink Panther films.. anyone know which one it was?
I haven't seen that scene, but once I saw Blazing Saddles on network tv, and they showed the gassy campfire scene, but they took out the noises! Very strange looking!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-19-2002 at 10:51 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:58 PM   #188
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
..."Is this worth cutting the character scenes?" ... I found the added scenes with Galadriel greatly enhanced the flow and overall feel of the film.

Having said that I must add that I was even more impressed than before with the level of effort put into the film.
My feelings exactly! I felt some things could have easily been cut to allow for the important (more important, to me) scenes that involve relationships between the characters. But as PJ said in his commentary, he loved this or that, and he obviously felt those things to be more important. That's why I have enjoyed seeing this version, and the commentary did give me a better appreciation for the task they took on.

EDIT: Yes, Rose showing up as a barmaid at the Green Dragon took me off guard. It doesn't fit the image I had of her! I guess they wanted to use that scene as an opportunity for a little more interaction between Sam and Rose, and didn't really have any other place to do it. They must have figured that having her work there was preferable to having her as a patron -- it would have really shattered my image to have her dancing drunk on the tables!

Last edited by azalea : 11-19-2002 at 11:04 PM.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:18 PM   #189
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
I think Mery and Pippen got magical blades as well, to cover the plot about the barrow blades later in the RotK.

I thought it was a way to explain the enchanted swords that can kill the witchking. In the book Pippin and Merry are given - "small silver belts, each with a clasp wrought likea golden flower."

By the way - Jackson can come up with NO excuse for destroying the Flight to the Ford scene. Now that I have seen the extended version - I think there were a lot of action parts that could have been cut down and the charactization could have been kept in.

I also think that the beginning of the movie was important. It showed how Hobbits were so isolated from the outside world. Maybe it could have been cut down a little - but I still think it was important. Gandalf actually talks intelligently during the extended version when they first introduced him and Frodo.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:27 PM   #190
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Sam Gamgee Ick!

Being the Highbrow that I am, I could have lived without the earwax extraction! I never pictured hobbits to be that doofusy, just overly conservative and clannish.

Last edited by Lizra : 11-19-2002 at 11:43 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:40 PM   #191
Cirdan

Re: Ick!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Being the Highbrow that I am, I could have lived without the earwax extraction! I never pictured hobbits to be that doofusy, just overly conservative and clannish.
I could not suppress the laugh at the hobbit twit combined with Bilbo's voice over. Very Python

Quote:
JD: I thought it was a way to explain the enchanted swords that can kill the witchking.
I see I was not clear. Yes I am referring to Merry's daring.

And yes I agree about the Ford. I must admit that at times during the viewing of the extended version I was disappointed to see that certain scenes were still in. Silly, really.

Quote:
Az: Yes, Rose showing up as a barmaid at the Green Dragon took me off guard. It doesn't fit the image I had of her! I guess they wanted to use that scene as an opportunity for a little more interaction between Sam and Rose, and didn't really have any other place to do it.
Yes, I too had Rosie pegged as a more... modest girl, although she did end up having 13 children.

Edit: I almost forgot LPG... I liked both the scenes between Boromir and Aragorn, especially when Aragorn declares that he will not take the ring to Minas Tirith. I really solidifies Boromir's paranoia.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary

Last edited by Cirdan : 11-19-2002 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:02 AM   #192
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Re Merry and Pippin's swords : I think what Galadriel says is that they are swords from the Noldorin, so they would be pretty powerful. I'll have to put on the captions and check it out.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-20-2002, 12:17 AM   #193
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
[BI haven't seen that scene, but once I saw Blazing Saddles on network tv, and they showed the gassy campfire scene, but they took out the noises! Very strange looking! [/B]
I imagine that watching Blazing Saddles on network tv would be like listening to an almost continuous *bleeeeeeeeep*
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:22 AM   #194
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Re Merry and Pippin's swords : I think what Galadriel says is that they are swords from the Noldorin, so they would be pretty powerful. I'll have to put on the captions and check it out.
That's what I think she says too. It's going to seem weird when people who haven't seen the extended version of the DVDs watch TT and RoTK in the theaters. I guess they may not remember - but the swords (unless they do flashbacks) will just "appear" out of nowhere.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-20-2002, 12:41 AM   #195
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
By the way - Jackson can come up with NO excuse for destroying the Flight to the Ford scene.
Sure he could. Anyone could. Though I doubt he considers it 'destruction.'
Old 11-20-2002, 12:44 AM   #196
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"By the way - Jackson can come up with NO excuse for destroying the Flight to the Ford scene.."
Not sure what you mean by "destroying". Please clarify... then I might actually have something to refute.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 02:40 AM   #197
Rían

Yup - just checked out the subtitles - "Noldorin". Should it be "Noldorim"? Where are our elven language people?

And BTW, NO *burp* or *snore* in the subtitles! And no translation of Gimli's little comment to Haldir, or of Aragorn and Haldir's discussion.

Old 11-20-2002, 02:52 AM   #198
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
Sure he could. Anyone could. Though I doubt he considers it 'destruction.'
Well no excuse that I'd accept. But then again I don't worship the ground he walks on though just because he made a movie.

IP - he destoryed the scene by having Arwen rescue Frodo and making him so weak that he couldn't have his defining moment against the Nazgul. That was a key scene in the book and he completely ruined it. Now I have to skip that scene everytime I watch it.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-20-2002, 02:57 AM   #199
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Plus PJ missed the chance to chuck in a really cool line: Come back! Come back! To Mordor we will take you! *sigh* Silly Kiwi.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:03 AM   #200
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Well no excuse that I'd accept. But then again I don't worship the ground he walks on though just because he made a movie.

IP - he destoryed the scene by having Arwen rescue Frodo and making him so weak that he couldn't have his defining moment against the Nazgul. That was a key scene in the book and he completely ruined it. Now I have to skip that scene everytime I watch it.
I wonder if anyone actually worships PJ?

JD: You did say he could come up with no excuse, not no excuse that you would except. I was just pointing out the obvious. The most obvious reason is that he thought; "Gosh, Frodo's moment of solitary defiance at the ford is great. I wish he had a moment like that at the end of the movie instead of in the middle." That's it. No hidden messages, no secret agendas. Just Peter "My movies are slices of cake." Jackson shifting elements of Frodo's character around so the movie would have a more conventional ending.