Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2011, 03:11 AM   #181
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Just as an interesting aside - I've discovered a great tool for the Americans watching Dr. Who - closed captioning! I mean, I've been a huge fan of British literature and language for years and years, and am constantly explaining things to my family, but in the Doctor's Wife episode, they were just speaking so quickly that I was missing what they were saying, so I put on closed captioning (and I already have DVR, so I can pause and rewind) and it was great! I watched it first without the captioning, then went back and watched it with the captioning and picked up everything I missed, and learned a new expression ("give us some welly!")

Anyway, I'm doing it now with the Ganger episodes, and it's well worth-while - I even caught a use of "poncy", one of my favorite words, which I totally missed before. And until CC, I missed the bit about the ganger thing happening on that other island, and that was a good bit of info.

Anyway, I highly recommend it, esp. for the non-Brits

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:16 AM   #182
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

ps - just found another thing - when the Ganger Doctor is having troubles stabilizing, according to CCaptioning, he says the bit about jelly babies in the fourth doctor's voice! Great stuff! When I saw it, I was able to catch it in his voice, but I would have totally missed it without CC!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #183
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

just watched the mid season final episode here in england. oh my lord its a good one, a lot of questions answered! ill watch till the us lot have watch before i say anymore. spoilers!
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #184
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by feawen View Post
just watched the mid season final episode here in england. oh my lord its a good one, a lot of questions answered! ill watch till the us lot have watch before i say anymore. spoilers!
Maybe we could look at your diary while you are not looking. I promise not too peek too far into the future.

Oh well. I guess I will just have to wait till next week.

One question regarding last episode: Did Amy tell the real Doctor about his apparent death?

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:13 AM   #185
Rían

I caught that on my rewatch with my middle son (my fellow Doctor fan) - yes, she did!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #186
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by feawen View Post
Ack. So much to talk about....

General point, though: not sure I'm too mad about this mid-series break. Inevitably this leaves an interim finale that feels somewhat... well, interim.

Will think about it while we wait for the USA to catch up! Some wonderful new characters and a big reveal that was suitably big, that's for sure...

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #187
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

i didnt not the river thing happening and i do have some issues with it. which if i can remember what they are for when the us catch up ill let you know about then!
mid season break? why is all i can say about that! although it is good for me since i am going away for two weeks and so will not miss any woo!
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #188
Rían

Oh rats!!! I went to watch it online, and it tells me "not available in your area"!!!! Sheesh! Does it know that my internet service is based in Arizona?!! Grrr! Anyone got any hints to get around this? I don't want to wait anymore!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #189
Draken
Elf Lord

Yes it does Rian! I have heard that some Americans have found ways to disguise their IP address and get BBC stuff to play that way, but no idea how, sorry!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #190
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I just watched it. Oh. My. GAAAAAAWD!!!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #191
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

i liked the mid-season finale... but i didn't really get that huge cliff-hanger and surprise that they talked about. sort of seems like it was the obvious thing that i guessed already at the beginning of the season.

but, i liked it a lot anyway. very star warsey in many ways, but still quite nicely made. now we'll have to wait for another 3 months.. >.< and what's up with the title of the next episode? XD

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #192
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
and what's up with the title of the next episode? XD
Ha! I know, I was laughing so hard at that.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #193
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
I just watched it. Oh. My. GAAAAAAWD!!!
NO FAIR! How'd you manage that?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #194
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
River Song = the Astronaut (aka Amy's kid)?
Did this turn out to be true?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #195
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken View Post
Yes it does Rian! I have heard that some Americans have found ways to disguise their IP address and get BBC stuff to play that way, but no idea how, sorry!
There's a firefox extension that lets you change your IP to a british one. I got it working once back in the day, but didn't really like watching it streamed.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:39 AM   #196
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
i liked the mid-season finale... but i didn't really get that huge cliff-hanger and surprise that they talked about. sort of seems like it was the obvious thing that i guessed already at the beginning of the season.

but, i liked it a lot anyway. very star warsey in many ways, but still quite nicely made. now we'll have to wait for another 3 months.. >.< and what's up with the title of the next episode? XD
I liked the Episode. Especially Rory against the cybermen.

I don't get the Doctor being considered a warrior. At least not a warrior in the classical sense.

The monks remind me of an old comic showing Hitler describing the perfect man (a body with no head). I found the monks creepy and odd. The electric bolts from the fingers made me think of Star Wars.

The cliff hanger was not what I expected.
  • Is the child in the city supposed to be River?
    I expected the baby to be a copy.

Living backwards in time seems weird to me.

The baby's origin does not make much sense to me.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 06-12-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:01 AM   #197
Rían

Well, well, well ...

It was good, but not great. And I will feel cheated if River does not also turn out to be
the Doctor's wife, because of all the endearments and the kisses and things like that that were clear indicators of a relationship of MORE than just friends with Amy's kid.
And it was nice to see Rory get a backbone. So did we ever find out who the eyepatch lady was?

Fun to see a lot of the classic creatures there, although I'm glad they went light on the Cyberman, and gave the Daleks a complete miss (they can get annoying). So when are the rest of the mysteries cleared up? This is kinda odd - half of a season, then a summer break, then the other half?

My favorite episode by far this year was the Tardis one - just wonderful!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #198
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Eye patch lady is still a mystery to me.
I am not sure if I will feel cheated, but the inference seems to be that Melody knows the Doctor better then you average bear.

The break is so they could have a "new" show for the summer. I do not mind since I will usually be out during the summer time. The new show is bad in my opinion, but that will be a discussion for another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Well, well, well ...

It was good, but not great. And I will feel cheated if River does not also turn out to be
the Doctor's wife, because of all the endearments and the kisses and things like that that were clear indicators of a relationship of MORE than just friends with Amy's kid.
And it was nice to see Rory get a backbone. So did we ever find out who the eyepatch lady was?

Fun to see a lot of the classic creatures there, although I'm glad they went light on the Cyberman, and gave the Daleks a complete miss (they can get annoying). So when are the rest of the mysteries cleared up? This is kinda odd - half of a season, then a summer break, then the other half?

My favorite episode by far this year was the Tardis one - just wonderful!

Old 06-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #199
Gwaimir Windgem

I just watched Midnight with my brother, and really, that just continues to be one of the best eps EVAR.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #200
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
I just watched Midnight with my brother, and really, that just continues to be one of the best eps EVAR.
That episode was great for the suspense level. The unknown can be unnerving at times.

The copying of lines must have taken some time to get correct on screen.