Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 01:07 AM   #181
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

This Afternoon I watched Jackass again, & tonight I will see Requiem for a dream.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:33 AM   #182
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Re: ~

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Tinuveil
This Afternoon I watched Jackass again, & tonight I will see Requiem for a dream.
Requiem for a Dream is one of the most emotionally harrowing films I've ever seen. Too often drug addiction is glamorized, -- this movie shows the messy and gruesome reality. Ellen Burstyn is absolutely brilliant... the other actors are also outstanding.

Hope you like it as much as I did.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:52 AM   #183
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

Yes I do like this film,
It has a great cast & their preformances are all to real. Its definatly moving, & I am glad that I found this film. It is a good addition to any movie collection. To anyone who hasnt seen it,
It is worth the time & effort.

Last edited by Lady Tinuveil : 09-20-2003 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-20-2003, 03:06 AM   #184
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

I Have Just finished Poolhall Junkies, for the second time.
The Cast was realistic and the comedy was to my liking.

If you havent seen this, it is worth a rent.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:59 PM   #185
Yapaluna
Enting

Maybe it´s a bit too late but I saw Pirates Of the Caribbean yesterday. WOW!

Never liked Johnny Depp until now.

It just had everything. Just like the Princess Bride.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:05 PM   #186
zinnite
Elven Warrior

I saw "Anything Else" last night. It was pretty good, though not much more than a typical Woody Allen film. Christina Ricci is pretty terrible, but Jason Biggs was surprisingly good.

And if you think Jimmy Fallon is an annoying twit, don't be put off by the fact his name is near the top of the credits--he has only a few minutes of screen time.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:15 PM   #187
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

Last night I watched The Perfect Murder, (with viggo) & this afternoon I watched Anger management. I rented SLC punks, & I am going to watch it tonight.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:05 PM   #188
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I watched Anger Management last night. So what did you think? I thought it had moments and the ending was a nice twist, even though a bit predictable in outcome.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 09-23-2003, 11:36 PM   #189
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I saw the BEST movie the other night. Can't believe I forgot to mention it. It's a subtitled movie called City of Gods; about a kid growing up in a slum city based in Rio.

Quote:
Ebert Review:
"City of God" churns with furious energy as it plunges into the story of the slum gangs of Rio de Janeiro. Breathtaking and terrifying, urgently involved with its characters, it announces a new director of great gifts and passions: Fernando Meirelles. Remember the name. The film has been compared with Scorsese's "GoodFellas," and it deserves the comparison. Scorsese's film began with a narrator who said that for as long as he could remember he wanted to be a gangster. The narrator of this film seems to have had no other choice.

The movie takes place in slums constructed by Rio to isolate the poor people from the city center. They have grown into places teeming with life, color, music and excitement--and also with danger, for the law is absent and violent gangs rule the streets. In the virtuoso sequence opening the picture, a gang is holding a picnic for its members when a chicken escapes. Among those chasing it is Rocket (Alexandre Rodrigues), the narrator. He suddenly finds himself between two armed lines: the gang on one side, the cops on the other.

As the camera whirls around him, the background changes and Rocket shrinks from a teenager into a small boy, playing soccer in a housing development outside Rio. To understand his story, he says, we have to go back to the beginning, when he and his friends formed the Tender Trio and began their lives of what some would call crime and others would call survival.

The technique of that shot--the whirling camera, the flashback, the change in colors from the dark brightness of the slum to the dusty sunny browns of the soccer field--alert us to a movie that is visually alive and inventive as few films are.

The gangs have money and guns because they sell drugs and commit robberies. But they are not very rich because their activities are limited to the City of God, where no one has much money. In an early crime, we see the stickup of a truck carrying cans of propane gas, which the crooks sell to homeowners. Later there is a raid on a bordello, where the customers are deprived of their wallets. (In a flashback, we see that raid a second time, and understand in a chilling moment why there were dead bodies at a site where there was not supposed to be any killing.)

As Rocket narrates the lore of the district he knows so well, we understand that poverty has undermined all social structures in the City of God, including the family. The gangs provide structure and status. Because the gang death rate is so high, even the leaders tend to be surprisingly young, and life has no value except when you are taking it. There is an astonishing sequence when a victorious gang leader is killed in a way he least expects, by the last person he would have expected, and we see that essentially he has been killed not by a person but by the culture of crime.

Yet the film is not all grim and violent. Rocket also captures some of the Dickensian flavor of the City of God, where a riot of life provides ready-made characters with nicknames, personas and trademarks. Some like Benny (Phelipe Haagensen) are so charismatic they almost seem to transcend the usual rules. Others, like Knockout Ned and Lil Ze, grow from kids into fearsome leaders, their words enforced by death.

The movie is based on a novel by Paulo Lins, who grew up in the City of God, somehow escaped it, and spent eight years writing his book. A note at the end says it is partly based on the life of Wilson Rodriguez, a Brazilian photographer. We watch as Rocket obtains a (stolen) camera that he treasures and takes pictures from his privileged position as a kid on the streets. He gets a job as an assistant on a newspaper delivery truck, asks a photographer to develop his film, and is startled to see his portrait of an armed gang leader on the front page of the paper.

"This is my death sentence," he thinks, but no: The gangs are delighted by the publicity and pose for him with their guns and girls. And during a vicious gang war, he is able to photograph the cops killing a gangster--a murder they plan to pass off as gang-related. That these events throb with immediate truth is indicated by the fact that Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, the newly elected president of Brazil, actually reviewed and praised "City of God" as a needful call for change. ...
Old 09-27-2003, 07:05 PM   #190
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

I thought it was too predictable, Cirdan, but overall it wasnt bad.
I seen Night of the Living Dead yesterday, and a Man Apart,& the core.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:31 AM   #191
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

Has anyone seen S.L.C. Punk?
I like this film because it is interesting, and eye-catching. [slc stands for: Salt Lake City]
Old 09-28-2003, 01:48 AM   #192
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I haven't been going to the cinema lately, though I planned to see Once Upon A Time In Mexico, Open Range and Underworld at some point or another. Don't know if I'll actually get to them. And I'm definitely going to catch Lost In Translation as soon as it opens around here.

The last film I saw in theatres was American Splendor, which was definitely very inventive. It is a biographical movie about Harvey Pekar, who has written autobiographical comic books since the 1970s. But it's also self-referential on some level, because at the same time it's intercut with the real Harvey Pekar talking about the making of this movie - and that's part of the movie itself. All in all, a lot of fun, and a very good movie that juxtaposes the life of a normal guy with all the dashing heroics implicit in comic-style title cards.

I saw The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in a cinema a little while back, too. It was an Extended Version with an extra thirty minutes or so. I have a more in-depth discussion of how this screening went over at my blog.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
Old 09-29-2003, 09:53 AM   #193
Cirdan

Re: ~

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Tinuveil
I seen Night of the Living Dead yesterday, and a Man Apart,& the core.
I put Dawn of the Dead in my rental queue a week ago. How was the core? I couln't bear the premise since I studied geology, so I haven't seeen it yet.

I watched 8 1/2. Watched Life of Brian again this weekend.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 09-29-2003, 10:57 AM   #194
zinnite
Elven Warrior

I watched The Core this weekend. As a person who loves bad sci-fi films, this one was pretty good. As a geology student, you'll probably find it pretty laughable, since the science involved is mostly...well, not science (though the film does get a few things right). as far as action films go, lots of things blow up and lots of people die, and it's semi-exciting.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:37 PM   #195
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

I just seen Dreamcatcher & Demonight yesterday.
Has anyone read the dreamcatcher novel?

I didnt really enjoy the core. It was a very typical film.
I havent seen dawn of the dead, but I rented day of the dead & it sucked. Demonight is pretty cool, It s from the 'tales from the crypt. '
[Another crazy horror flick]
Old 10-03-2003, 12:45 AM   #196
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

just watched "all the presidents men". real good.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 10-03-2003, 04:40 AM   #197
Cirdan

I just saw dreamcatcher last night before. Really good for me but I hadn't read the book. The wife says it was a pretty good adaptation for SK (she has read all his stuff), but that the ending was different. I was in the mood for it so I really liked it.

Kazdan is a good director.

Watched To Kill a Mockingbird last night with the boy. Brought back memories. It's funny that I thought it was scary at the time.

Going to watch Bird and Waking Life next.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 10-03-2003, 12:23 PM   #198
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Yeah laurence kasdan wrote the screenplay for "raiders of the lost ark"

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 10-04-2003, 02:23 PM   #199
Millane
The Dude

finally got my hands on a copy of bad taste and watched it today, i really enjoyed it and i am slightly dissapointed that PJ did such a poor job with the blood side of things in LotR when he did it perfectly over the top in Bad taste and Braindead... i enjoyed Badtaste as much as braindead and thought that PJ's acting in it was a classic
Saw League of Extraordinary Gentlemen tonight and i thought it was a great movie (RotK trailer at the start bumped it up ) Mr Hyde was standout as was Sean Connery as per usual.
Im waiting for a shop down in melb to get in some more copies of 28 days later (they all sold out before i got down there ) it finished at the cinema the other night and i keep wanting to watch it again.
Kill Bill will be out in 5 days and i cant wait, supposed to have old samurai movie style blood (ohhh yeah )... after that it will be Once Upon A Time in Mexico (also had the trailer on tonight) and then i just have to wait for The Last Samurai (prove your not a wanker Tom Cruise ), Kill Bill part 2, Gettin Square and then it'll probably be Revolutions time WOOOOO!!!!...
have any of you lucky americans seen Kill Bill yet???
Old 10-04-2003, 06:09 PM   #200
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I watched A Knight's Tale again last night for like the millionth time! It never gets boring!

I also saw Black Hawk Down all the way through for the first time! It's really good i usually put it on and just skip through scenes not looking at anything or anyone in particular It's a good film though
Closed Thread