Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 12:39 PM   #1
Tuor
Sapling

Sillmarilion film

I am working on a script at the moment -
Trying to work out what would be feasible and what works best.

I think the only way any part of the sillmarillion could be translated to the cinema would be to concentrate on one of the longer. more complete stories. Even then there is very little dialoge in the treatments -

What would make a good film?

Tale of Beren and Luthien?
The fall of Gondolin ( Of tour and his coming to Gondolin)?
Tale of the children of Hurin?

These really are the only close to full narratives that tolkein completed - and of those I lean toward the tale of Beren and Luthien. It has adventure, danger, battle scenes and a love story...elements which make it easier to pitch to a studio producer...

Both Gondolin and the Narn i chin Hurin, end in utter defeat - Gondlin only works if you take the tale on to êarendil, Elwing and the War of Wrath. Even ending with Tuor's voyage to Valinor is difficult to explain unless you have the whole magnificent history....

What do you think? -

The Tale of Luthien is the greatest of the first age in terms of its significance in the recovery of of the silmaril...it also encompasses many of the core elements of the Sillmarillion. In effect the film would become an independent prequel with characters that the larger public of the LOTR are aquainted. But it would also give us insigt into the Tolkeins greatest love - the heroic saga of the Elves' war against evil in middleearth in the first age.

I mean:

1 Doriath, seat of the Beleriandic Sindarin culture. We get to see apart from Beren and Luthien - Menegroth in its "noontide", a look into the Sindarin world which shaped Middle earth for thousands of years. We meet Thingol, Melian (of the race of the Ainur..!) Galadriel - even Celeborn(?)

2 Nargothrond - One of the greatest Noldorian kingdoms in the first age - Finrod, Orodreth, the sons of Feanor and Huan the hound of Valinor.

3 Sauron - in the beginning.
Beren and Finrods capture by Sauron and Luthiens defeat of him at Tol Sirion
matches maiar henchman of Melkor against duaghter of Melian the maiar. The publid knows Sauron from LTOTR.

4 Morgoth - we enter his throne room, watch as Luthien enchants them to sleep and as Beren wrests a silmaril!

5 The nature of Elven immortality ( serial longevity) and human "death".

6 The founding of the bloodline of Elrond ( and Aragorn) through the first bonding of Men, Elf, Maiar - that changed the course of history...

Its all there but...

Studio execs needs one liners. The Tale of Beren and Luthien could be described as Hero meets girl - loses girl - gets girl---
heroic triumph against good and evil......Tale of love over "racial/class" boundaries...It a complicatedinterplay of elements and with the proper screenplay need not be dumbed down for the cinema - in fact the sence of history and culture only auguments the "action" of the main storyline.

It works..I think . let me know what you think
Closed Thread