Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Galin
Elven Warrior

By the way I'm also aware of the opinion that the word 'order' -- in the citation under question -- might refer back to 'their own high order' (referring to the Valar), mentioned earlier, rather than the Order of Wizards.

I don't agree, partly as the word Order (again in the citation under question) is capitalized, as is both 'Order of Wizards' earlier, and later again where Saruman is said to be regarded by well-nigh all, as the head of the Order.

Also the reference seems to say that more than five beings came to Middle-earth in any case -- so if the number of the order of the Valar is unknown, to my mind the number of those that came to Middle-earth is unknown as well (in any case), because all we are then told is that of those who came to the North of Middle-earth, the chiefs were five -- still arguably implying an unknown number among which there can be chiefs.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote