Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-09-2002, 10:38 AM   #21
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

oh come on, jerseydevil we know you send fan letters to Peter Jackson and have a little shrine at home to which you pay homage in his name and that you're waiting breathlessly for the DVD to come out so you can play the Arwen bits over and over again..... (just kidding! )

I don't think that the Scouring in the film would have had to play out what Frodo saw in Galadriel's mirror. Remember that he saw what COULD have happened, not necessarily what was GOING to happen.

samwise of the shire, that long line of letters means: "Extremely insightful and deeply reflective individuals of rare character and quality who share a deep and abiding knowledge of literary masterworks of extreme detail and delightful creativity, without whom the incredible works of a tremendously talented Oxford professor would fade into obscurity".....it's an answer I gave a while back to a thread on "what are tolkien fans called?".....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 04:05 PM   #22
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Personally, I was highly disappointed that Gandalf is shown in the spoiler pictures (and I've heard in TTT trailer as well). Some people had no idea that he survived and I hate the idea of that being ruined.... my only consolation is that his appearance is very different.

Shadowfax definately is needed in the film. And I thought that the scouring of the shire should be in as well- isnt that part of the point? That evil can return to what you love best, to home? And that (men) can no longer count on the protection of wizards and elves??
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote