Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I can’t believe I have missed this thread!

Quote:
1.If you’re familiar with Appendix B – had you actually read through it, or just used it as a reference?
All through it – and many times. I am weird, I know, but I find the Appendices A and B the most exciting part of the book.

Quote:
2. What, if anything, is most striking to you – as far as when it happens, or for what duration?
I don’t know about “striking”, but looking closer at the dates of various events reveals some interesting possibilities.

We can see, for instance, that after forging of the One, Sauron waited for almost 100 years before saying “to Ungoliant with those pesky Elves” and going to retrieve the 19 rings. All this time Celebrimbor was doing nothing – he didn’t destroy the rings, didn’t hide them properly, didn’t summon an army to defend them, didn’t even try to forge an alliance with other Elves and Men. Looser.

The entry for 1800 is intriguing: “From about this time onward the Númenoreans begin to establish dominions on the coasts. Sauron extends his power eastwards. The shadow falls on Númenor.” Why this year? Is it connected with establishing dominions on the coast? Is it connected with Sauron distributing the 9 rings?

The famous 2251 entry. Tar-Atanamir either dies, or takes the sceptre but always the same year the nazgul first appear. Connection? This one was explored by Olmer, though.

3262-3319. Sauron had more than 50 years to work his charms on Ar-Pharazon…

3320-3429. 100 years of peace used to establish Gondor and Arnor. There was a heck of a lot of cities and fortresses, bridges and roads built in this very short period. How? I guess the Elendili kept the local ME population VERY busy. No wonder whole peoples deserted to Sauron at the first opportunity.

3430-3434 The Last alliance army gathers … very slowly…as is always the case with those immortal guys . Elendil awaits Gil Galad at Amon Sul, then the army takes a “short” rest in Imladris – 3 whole year – while poor Anarion desperately fights off Mordor attacks all alone. I guess Isildur did feel guilty, that’s why he ceded Gondor to his brother’s line.

109. Elrond weds Celebrían, daughter of Celeborn. Strange date. I guess E and C were well acquainted in the Second Age. So – why not wed right after the victory? Why 100 years later?

Note – the coming of the Istari is not mentioned. Why?
Also: Sauron’s shadow first spotted 1050, but the Istari were sent earlier (around 1000) – to fight with Sauron. How did the Valar know that Sau was about to arise?

1050. “The Wise (the Istari and the chief Eldar) discover that an evil power has made a stronghold at Dol Guldur. It is thought to be one of the Nazgûl.” Nice neighbour next door, quiet and respectable.. So they lived peacefully alongside this “nazgul” for how long? - a thousand years, until 2060, when they start to fear ”that it may be Sauron taking shape again”.

Well there is more, but I will stop here.

Quote:
3. Do you notice any “clusters of activity” – lots of things happening around the same time?
Yes, I agree about 1940-2050. And note: if you want things done fast you have to have Men (or nazgul) but not Elves.
1974-1980 is particularly interesting – The Witch-King finally becomes the King of Arnor, then looses everything, then gathers the other nazgul to try his hand in the South. Lots of rings moving around, maybe changing hands. Exactly at the same time, ol’ Barlog suddenly wakes up and wreaks a havoc. Coincidence?

Another period 2941-2953
The ring is found, Gollum is now loose, Erebor freed, Smaug dead, Sauron relocates to Mordor, Orodruin is active again, the White council is no more – the World is changed again- and all this in 12 years.

Quote:
4. What historical event recorded here most inspires or intrigues you?
The war of 1974-75, naturally. Pity we know so little about it.

Quote:
5. ‘Fess up – did you really suspect that Gandalf wielded one of the 3 Elven Rings?
Never suspected it - and even now I can’t really get used to this idea. I thought Oropher/Thranduil or Amroth or Cirdan would have been a much better choice. Gandy having a ring clashes with a lot we know about him: his part in the Hobbit, his disinterest in the Rings in general, his inability to recognise the One, the story of him being captive in Orthanc. And no wonder: Gandalf having a Ring was a very late idea, inserted long after all the LOTR text was written. It was a bad idea to give Narya to Gandy, if you ask me: little gained and lots of plot-holes arising.

Last edited by Gordis : 01-04-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote