Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-25-2000, 01:01 AM   #21
Darth Tater

Re: re

Shanamir, according to the examples in your post the destruction of the Ring didn't really help much
Old 07-25-2000, 01:38 AM   #22
arynetrek

"Flying Nazgul instead of 747" - so then all it would take to crash a plane is a strong woman, a midget, & an old sword...

"Orks would replace policeman" - no comment

"And, worst than all, world would always be at war" - does the name Serbia sound familiar? how about Ethiopia?
"half of the earth's people would not eat enough," - they don't,
"man would live in big cities without caring for his neighbours" - most of us do. ever been to dallas?
"lots of murders" - just look at the news
"and stoooopid acts of mindless destruction" - like destroying teh rainforest? frying people in the electric chair (applies mostly to TX)? how about squandering fossil fuels & polluting the air?

"What a terrible world it would be!" - but most of us are OK with this!

"Hum... Sauron still lives for sure... I think he's taken the name of Clinton and now rules over his Kingdom in USA." - Clinton's not focused enough to be Sauron. and as much as i complain about the US, it's nowhere near as bad as Mordor (yet). final proof: Sauron's one desire is to get teh Ring, Clinton's is ... never mind.

BTW, no offense was intended in this, but it was begging to be done. and if Sauron really DID get the ring, we'd all be slaves in some sort of despotism, the elves (what's left of us) would all have been killed very early in the Fourth Age, and Tolkien would've been executed in some horrible way for daring to write anti-Mordor propaganda.

aryne *
Old 07-25-2000, 01:55 AM   #23
Shanamir Duntak

No no no... you get it wrong!

Sauron did NOT get the ring. We'd know it for sure. He's still very weakened by that ringy thingy destruction. That's why old USA is not as bad as Mordor yet. And anyway he now tries another approach: The economic way. He plans to rule economically, then entitle himself Ruler of the world . He's clever... He makes you THINK he was destroyed for you not to interfere with his plans.

And for Clinton , I think that he's just a bad replacement for the mouth of sauron. He's surely not Sauron himself but just a pawn to be dismissed after use.

Think about all that...

But not too seri
Old 07-26-2000, 12:17 PM   #24
dunedain lady

Cool discussion! Lothlorian definitely lives on in the form of the Amazon. Due to the effects of the destruction of the Ring, it has become hotter and rainier, but it still is as alive, and the forces of Sauron are working to destroy it. If you spend too much time there with not enough sleep, you even start being able to see some of the elves, still in hiding there. :P Perhapse Mirkwood has become Germany's Black Forest?
Old 07-27-2000, 08:35 AM   #25
ilyah

Perhaps... But then how do you explain the Atlantic ocean? It could be explained by saying that the Valar made war upon some enemy once more, and changed the shape of the earth once more. But I do not think that that is so... The Valar refused to attack Sauron, an cast his evil reign down because of the failure(if one could call it that, perhaps stupidity or something like that is more suitable) of Numenor, and they dared not risk attack because of the powers that would have to be used would destroy much of the lands for sure... So I think that we have to decide on either America or Europe, Africa and Asia as Middle Earth... I personally think it is the latter... For exampøe, then men from Harad, and especially the Southrons were dark in the skin, I think that this means they were africans or something, perhaps the men from Harad were from the Middle-East or something... Perhaps Tolkien meant that Russia was Mordor, that the Caucasus(I think that's what they are called, the mountains that segregate Europe from most of Russia) were the... £$€£ I don't remember the names of any mountain range's it seem... the mountains surrounding Mordor...
I can only beg that noone will hang me now, this is just speculation, I am not of the opinion that Russia is Mordor... My apologies to those offended, if any...
Old 07-27-2000, 11:39 AM   #26
Eruve

Middle-earth was definitely meant to correspond to "the north-west of the old world" (or something along those lines), but we can't really draw parallels to today's political boundaries.
As for North and South America, that too, fits into the scenario without there being another cataclysmic event after the drowning of Numenor. At the same time that Numenor was drowned, Aman was physically removed from the world and placed in a separate "plane", if you will. Only Elven ships could reach it, and they had to go into the sky in so doing. If you read the description of Frodo's journey into the West you get this feeling. A normal ship sailing west from the end of the Second Age (ie. after SA 3319) on would just find more lands and if it went on long enough could theoretically circumnavigate the world.
Old 07-27-2000, 02:27 PM   #27
Eowyn99

hello all. i agree with the theory about clinton... but then who is monica lewinsky?
Old 07-27-2000, 03:16 PM   #28
bmilder

Shelob?
Old 07-27-2000, 06:29 PM   #29
Shanamir Duntak

I think she's just entertainment... or a diversion?! Hummm... gotta think about that.
Old 07-27-2000, 09:42 PM   #30
Eruve

A certain Elf-maid from Bored of the Rings comes to mind, but she was diverting Frodo's attention, not Sauron. I like the Shlob idea. Just think about Shelob: overweight and Sauron's pet!

OMG, I just noticed the "Schlob" typo! It's too ironic, since in BOTR, Shelob is Schlob!!! (As is the chapter "Schlob's lair and other mountain resorts"...) :lol:
Old 07-28-2000, 08:51 AM   #31
ilyah

:lol: you guys are just cracking me up! (sorry about the bad english...)