Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-13-2004, 02:36 PM   #1
Janny
The Blobbit

The Ideas Pool

Does one of these not exist yet? I have perused through and it struck me that there was no thread for jotting down and sharing ideas or scenes or situations that could aid writing.

I was struck recently when I was just walking around school (as you do) and saw a girl clinging to the neck of her (former, I suppose) boyfriend and crying her eyes out. She was a chav (i.e. she was cool, popular and mindlessly followed trends and scorned those who did not), but there was something fascinating about the scene. She herself was ugly, red cheeks and running make-up and screwed up face. But that there was something. In her very standing there. I was like witnessing a discovery. In that end moment, when the guy tries to end it nicely, she realised. I know that sounds so pretentious - the girl is only 15 and the love is probably not real, but some emotion there was strong and, well, worthy of glorification. Whatever it was, I don't want to call it love... her passion had a pride. She didn't plead or shout at him or beg him to change his mind. She didn't run off to hide her tears.
It was the pinnacle of their relationship. At that moment it was the realisation of what it meant to her. It was the unashamed hurt and disappointment, before she learns to hate him, or tries to pass on blame: it was the perfect moment of the relationship.

Sorry to ramble, but I'm musing as I write.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 07:38 PM   #2
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

If that is the case, then isn't every time someone dies the perfect moment of the relationship, for everyone who knew him or her?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:06 AM   #3
Janny
The Blobbit

*Ponders*

Maaaybe.

Is that rhetorical, btw?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:57 PM   #4
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Not necessarily. People don't necessarily realize how much someone means to them when that person dies, sad to say. But often, it just might be.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Here's another idea to add to the pool. I know weddings and love are themes used so much it's almost rediculous, but I was recently in a friend's wedding, and a few little idylls jumped out at me that day. The one I'd like to mention was at the end of the ceremony- wow, did my feet hurt standing that long!- when the couple were pronounced husband and wife. The pastor said, "Look on with appreciation, folks [he's almost right out of Andy Griffith when he uses that word]- this will be the couple's very first kiss. You may now kiss the bride." It was so incredible to witness their first kiss right there at the altar. It was worth writing about- to know you would spend the rest of your life with someone without ever kissing them. To be so committed to each other's purity that you would go so far as that. It was really amazing, and it attested to the kind of love that was being lived out- something deeper than something you can get your hands or your lips on. Something that says that two people can connect in that way without ever touching each other. It was truly beautiful.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:19 PM   #6
Draken
Elf Lord

Or deeply, creepily weird.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:43 PM   #7
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken
Or deeply, creepily weird.
Maybeeeee.... I'm a hopeless romantic, don't mind me.

But CREEPY?! Really, what?

Old 12-08-2004, 03:19 PM   #8
Janny
The Blobbit

Thanks, Rosie. I'm in the 'sweet' camp.

Old 12-08-2004, 04:46 PM   #9
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
But CREEPY?! Really, what?
Well for a start if pre-marriage shows of affection are limited to a brisk handshake, I could be in serious trouble for breach of promise several hundred times over...

Hmm there MUST be a story in that...

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:32 PM   #10
Janny
The Blobbit

Well, I suspect many people would be. I don't think that extremes like that are necessarily... erm... necessary, but I think it is kinda sweet.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:48 AM   #11
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

No, I don't believe that it's manditory to not kiss- I don't think it's a sin or a crime to kiss before marriage. It just made the first kiss that much more special. Personally, I was a little skeptical myself when they were dating, because he wouldn't even put his arm around her shoulders. That was weird to me.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:30 PM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Let's see if I can do this.....here is a thread I started a while back, about story ideas.....
http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...eferrerid=1070
Old 12-16-2004, 12:02 PM   #13
inked
Elf Lord

Janny, I think your observation sound. This sort of coming of age story could be quite good if it avoided the usual cliches. Learning the value of relationships is a process, one some people unfortunately do not make as they are too self-centred. But those who make it are forced to do so by some degree of loss which initiates reflection on their part, don't you think?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 02:59 PM   #14
Janny
The Blobbit

You mean if you do it, you question if you missed out?

Old 12-22-2004, 05:58 PM   #15
inked
Elf Lord

I mean that to realize the importance of the other some loss is essential. Who knows this girl you observed may have noted the loss of the enabler to some aspect of life hitherto unkown - a love of Bach or Shakespeare. And that loss opened her eyes to the meaning this person had in enlarging her world. And the bitterness was over the loss, but the sweetness of Bach or Shakespeare remained?

Then again, she may have been dumped for another, brighter star in the firmament of chav? It's your story idea! You tell me!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 06:09 PM   #16
Janny
The Blobbit

It wasn't my idea. It was my seeing of the world. But yes, it can be the case that the loss is the loss of an enabler. This is a good point which had passed me by (as a result of the boy involved!)

Old 03-02-2005, 06:24 PM   #17
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I was reading in LotR:TTT in the part where Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli come upon Eomer for the first time. In their discussion, Eomer is going on (and on, and on... ) about how the Rohirrim do their best to keep Saruman's servants out of their country. He mentioned it wasn't always possible because of Saruman's bird-spies (I'm sorry now I don't have the quote)- birds that they can see above them but are unable to do anything about. I was thinking an interesting story to write about would be a young Rohan lad that has the special talent of being able to shoot these spies out of the sky. I, however, don't have the head for writing it.... It was an idea, anyway.