Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-22-2004, 12:15 AM   #21
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

not power in respect to dominating but in respect to power of craft. The power to create anything they wanted. That is the power I was referring to.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:55 AM   #22
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

okay, so I only read the first few posts, since I have to go to bed. I'll read the rest later, but forgive me if I repeat what anyone said.

Anyways, I think that while Gimli might consider nothing "fairer" than Galadriel's gift, he has never actually been offered the ring, nor held it. He might not think it to be fairer, but I do think that in such a situation, he might succumb, if not at first then eventually. Especially if he was a ring bearer. Even Frodo succumed to it, and Sam nearly did. Even Faramir thought about it, for a small moment (though I hate to admit it). So why should Gimli be any better?

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:53 PM   #23
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Everyone cept Tom who saw it or touched it was affected by it. its a simple fact. A dwarf would have been no better. THough I could be wrong.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:56 PM   #24
Manveru
Elven Warrior

i agree, gimli had never held the ring or felt its power. i'm sure when he said this he was using it as a figure of speech, and that he was refering to beauty not power
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:27 PM   #25
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
"Hence forth I shall call nothing fairer lest it be her [Galadriel's] gift to me!"~Gimli son of Gloin.
You know... maybe the two things don't have anything in common.

He's calling her "fair." Most certainly an elvish queen, one called "most beautiful of the House of Finwe) is "fairer" than the One Ring.

I admit I haven't read Fellowship of the Ring in a while, but does it actually say anywhere that Gimli wants to possess Galadriel?

Gimli would probably be affected as much by the Ring as anyone else, though I hold that he would at first be more resilient to it. But even if he desired and theoretically one this power, to me it doesn't mean that he finds the ring or its power "fairer" than Galadriel.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:46 PM   #26
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
maybe if Frodo died, but he didn't die, so thats that

and just a pointless question, but where did get that avatar from MSG3? (thats the fate right?)
Old 12-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #27
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
I admit I haven't read Fellowship of the Ring in a while, but does it actually say anywhere that Gimli wants to possess Galadriel?
In the first place, JRRT expressly did not put any sexual content in the LotR, though some appeared in the Sil (Melkor's rape of the sun-maiar, and potentially in Celegorm and Curufin's kidnapping of Lúthien Tinúviel, the cads). Some hint of it might be hypothesised in Celebrian's "torment in the dens of the orcs," but that is conjectural. The Dwarves seem, also, to be rather asexual and more interested in greed and crafts for Gimli to even think of it that way.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:29 AM   #28
Durin1
Elven Warrior

I don't think Dwarves were interested in Greed! It just happened to get that way through the potency of the Dwarvish rings.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:35 AM   #29
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Gimli

Didn't mean to insult your folk, Durin. But the characteristic had to be there for the Rings to exploit. Didn't Gloin say that the Dwarves delved too greedily and deeply to awaken the Balrog, though that seems unnecessarily harsh. Was there some prohibition against digging deeply that we know nothing about?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:43 AM   #30
Durin1
Elven Warrior

I think it is what Gandalf alludes to: he says that the Dwarves could find plenty of gold, silver and iron, and materials but their wealth seemed to have been based largely on Mithril, which they probably got enamoured by; although yearly it was becoming more difficult to win. Hence, they (the Dwarves) have to go to greater lengths to find mithril and end up awakening the Balrog.