Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-12-2004, 08:59 PM   #21
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Quote:
You didn't like Earthsea
No, I didn't. But that was a few years ago and I'm only 13, so I was something like 10 then. Books as big as Earthsea are hard to get into at age 10 (tho I was a bit of a nerd then. Still am!!) And BoP says the first is hard to get into, so that might be it.
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:21 AM   #22
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by sirigorn
No, I didn't. But that was a few years ago and I'm only 13, so I was something like 10 then. Books as big as Earthsea are hard to get into at age 10 (tho I was a bit of a nerd then. Still am!!) And BoP says the first is hard to get into, so that might be it.
Yeah it is hard to get into. I've only just read them, and I'm nearly 17 - well I did go through a stage when I was reading pretty much only Tolkien and Anne Rice.....
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 10:47 PM   #23
Arcala
Elven Warrior

A really GOOD book is Lord of Snow and Shadows by Sarah Ash. It's an interesting mix of modern stuff (guns, etc.) magic, and a very interesting plot that never gets you bored.
Stay in bed, float up stream (float up stream)

Please, don't wake me, no, don't shake me
Leave me where I am - I'm only sleeping

Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need (there's no need)

Please, don't spoil my day, I'm miles away
And after all I'm only sleeping..."

-from the Beatles' I'm Only Sleeping
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:35 AM   #24
Mim Baggins
Sapling

I would recommend Hyperion by Dan Simmon. It's science fiction and its has a main story but with short stories throughout. Some of the short stories are brilliant.
Mim Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:27 PM   #25
Jabberwock
Enting

recommends

Aside from the normally recommended classics (which are all good), I'd try some of the following if you're looking for good fantasy that is a little different.

Lord Dunsany's short stories from Pegana etc. - a master of language and story
Barry Hughart's Master Li books - hilarious and wonderful fantasy/mysteries set in old China.
Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast books - be warned of extremely thick (but amazing) description
Guy Gavriel Kay - Tigana, Song for Arbonne, Lions of Al'Rassan, or Sarantine Mosaic : best Canadian fantasist - helped put together some of the postmortem Tolkien stuff.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:44 PM   #26
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Okay, I know I was the one that started this thread, but if anyone else is looking at this thread for books, I found a great new series. Actually, it's more than one series, but they all take place in the same world. They're by Mercades Lackey (I think I spelled it wrong). There's a timeline in the beginning of Brightly Burning, if you want to read them in order...

And thanks for your recomendations, Jabberwock!! (I saw a poem called Jaberwock somewhere... it was a bit strange)
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 12:08 AM   #27
old scholar
Hobbit

i would recomend Beggers in Spain by nancy kress
it is a great book and really makes you think
Old 06-20-2004, 03:42 PM   #28
BelegS
Enting

I commend Jabberwock's post.

Some excellent recommendations there. All of them.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:42 PM   #29
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Yeah, Tigrana is great (though Alessan somewhat reminded me too much of Aragorn). Guy's style is pretty...particular.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:58 AM   #30
BelegS
Enting

Falagar, have you read 'A Song for Arabonne' by Kay? and 'The Lions of Al-Rassan'?
Old 06-21-2004, 10:45 PM   #31
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

here's a convo beren and i were having in general lit, but i thought maybe it would be better appreciated here ...

Quote:
The Pearl Saga (The Ring of Five Dragons, The Veil of a Thousand Tears, and The Mistress of the Pearl) by Eric Van Lustbader
Quote:
Thanks, Lady Ravyn. But the thing is I can't find the whole saga. I know there's the Ring of Five Dragons in one of the bookshops here, but I couldn't find the other two volumes
Quote:
i don't know if you shop online or if your parents would let you borrow their credit card (that's what mine do and i pay them back in cash when i get the books) but i found them on amazon: Mistress of the Pearl
Quote:
Thanks for the link, Lady Ravyn (it does work).But unfortunately, I haven't managed to convince my parents to shop for books online (yet... bwahahahaha!) *ahem* but anyway, how does this series compare to other fantasy series (Wot, Lotr, Dune, etc...)?

it's a very different sort of book (something refreshing, i find, in a genre where plots are reused over and over-which isn't always bad, i suppose )i mean, it's obviously not as good as lotr, but i think it's better than many fantasies out there. i'd put the series in my top ten fav books. the way the author describes the society of that world is very detailed; it's a caste-bound society so each caste has sort of its own stereotype, which means, of course, each caste has a character that breaks the boudaries. the plot is also very complicated, so it keeps you thinking (the only thing is you have to constantly try to remember what happened in the other two books ) i'm almost done with the third book, and it's still not clear how the series will end, so i'm thinking there will be more than three books. that's fine with me, though as it means more of this awesome series
(p.s. - sorry for the lengthy post! )

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:17 PM   #32
Falagar

Quote:
Originally posted by BelegS
Falagar, have you read 'A Song for Arabonne' by Kay? and 'The Lions of Al-Rassan'?
No, but they're now on my list, seeing how Tigrana was. Heard lots of good stuff about The Fionvar (sp?) Tapestry.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:23 PM   #33
BelegS
Enting

Tigana was really good and Finovar Tapestry I guess is also good. [Although on a casual skim I didn't find the beginning very intresting, though I guess a proper read might have adverse effect]

My favorite of Kay's is certainly 'The Lions of Al-Rassan', followed by 'A Song for Arabonne' and 'The Last Light of Sun'. Kay is similar to Martin in one respect that most of the main characters are grey and he makes us sympthize with everyone, be it hero or villian.

Hey, you still post at that AsOFaI boarD? I read some posts by you some time ago but haven't read any recently.

[Waiting for aFFC]
Old 06-24-2004, 01:38 PM   #34
Falagar

Some time since I last posted anything on the aSoIaF-board, have gone back to my position as lurker. Have been lurking a bit more than usual lately, so perhaps a post is coming up in a not too distant future.

THanks for the recommendations!
Old 06-24-2004, 01:40 PM   #35
BelegS
Enting

You are Welcome Ser Falagar, Hero of the Trident.