Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-29-2004, 12:47 AM   #41
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

ok, I was wrong(I did more research).
Easter originates from both a pagan celebration and a christian one.
Sorry about that, lol.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 01:03 AM   #42
elvishfaerie3088
Elven Warrior

first of all i didn't mean to spell christians wrong, it was an accident thank-you very much did you ever stop to think maybe the key got stuck and i didn't notice? All i meant from All hallow's eve is that "true" (no offense in any way if this isn't true for some christians) christians don't go out and "scare" people as it were, they think it's an evil holiday and they just have a party no dressing up or anything. I know this because i too like most people have very christian friends.
This religon has always been the right one for me, some people find it later in life, i was never really exposed all too well to christian ways and found my own way, and this fits me, i'm not trying to say it's for everyone. What is so magick about it? Magick is an art we practise. Wiccans and pagans can practise many types of magick such as white magick (good) grey magick (between black and white magick) Black magick (bad or evil magick) White magick is just trying to help one's self or others in finding their true road. Grey magick is the inbetween of things the fight between good and evil. Black magick is cursing or hexing people.
As for saying that were being closed minded for saying christians are closed minded, i disagree. Christians turn away from what's unfamiliar especially another religon. Most christians tend to "preach" to you about their ways and seem to judge you by their religon. Pagans/wiccans TRY not to, but it does happen. And there are many christians who won't be seen with a pagan/wiccan or talk to them or anything. Christians never want to ask the question that is always on everyone's minds (at least mine) ....Why? or Why not? they don't question anything, it just is. Any violent, rude, or closed minded wiccan/pagan is not true to thy self, the world, or anything in it and the universe they are not yet ready to see.
Many of you wish to know more about Wiccans/pagans try taking out a book, looking it up on the net, or better yet there's this discussion forum, ask away. And to my knowledge the only difference between Pagans and Wiccans is that pagans are guys and wiccans are girls, but i'm pretty sure actually very sure i'm WRONG on that one, i've never really wondered about the difference. I have been a wiccan since i can remember, most questions i can answer this is the first one i can't...must find answer.....or go crazy...ahhh.
Jack: "Monkey!"
"It's captain Jack Sparrow, captain..."
"If you were waiting for the opportune moment that was it."
Red coat, "Impersonating a judge."
Jack: (Oh, ya that was fun look on his face)
"Do us a favour...i know it's hard...but stay here and try not to do...anything...stupid."
"Yes...but why is the rum gone?!"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"

*~~Elvish Faerie~~*
elvishfaerie3088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 02:34 AM   #43
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Christians never want to ask the question that is always on everyone's minds (at least mine) ....Why? or Why not? they don't question anything, it just is.
That's a very broad generalization of a religion. I am a Christian, was "raised" Christian (though very loosely), yet I have and still am constantly asking Why and Why not? This has led me on a continous and sometimes stressful or harrowing spiritual journey, which HAS resulted in my experimenting with other religions in hopes of finding answers to these questions. Yes, I do know some Christians that don't want to question anything, but they aren't as abundant as members of other religions would like to think so. They are just the loud ones. In my opinion, a true Christian should be constantly questioning his or her faith to see if he or she really believes, and to find their own path through God. If a Christian isn't doing these things, then they're just going along with what they're taught, like motions a robot is doing, and aren't really being a spiritual being.

Quote:
Any violent, rude, or closed minded wiccan/pagan is not true to thy self, the world, or anything in it and the universe they are not yet ready to see.
One could say the same about a close-minded, rude, violent "Christian".

As far as I know, Pagan is a rather general term for the "old world" type religions that are mostly based on nature, while Wicca is a somewhat "organized" branch of Paganism that began some fifty plus years ago by an English pagan...but I can't remember his name. There can be male Wiccans, my stepbrother is one of them. So...Wiccans are pagan, but not all pagans are Wiccan (though the absolutely correct term would be neo-pagan, I think...). Kind of like every Baptist is considered a Christian, but not every Christian is a Baptist. I could be wrong, though, but this is pretty much what I've gathered through research and personal experiences with Pagans and Wiccans. I know of a Druidress as well...o.O

And I apologize for the spelling sting. That was uncalled for.

Oh...I celebrate Halloween, costumes, candy and all.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:28 AM   #44
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

paganism is the religion and wiccan is an off branch (so to speak) off that religion, for those who wish to study magik. i have never heard to the title being used to seperate both genders.
and yes i was wrong to say that christians only start wars. i was raised a christian and i know that isn't true.
i changed from christian to pagan because i didn't feel like that was me. not that i ever went to church or anything when i was christian, but i have never believed in god and it felt wrong to call myself something which i wasn't. it felt disrespectful to anyone i new. and so i found paganism - and im starting to go into wicca.

Quote:
So can anyone explain to me what it gives, what it feels like ... like is there a sense of peace, or oneness, or release from fear, or self-destiny and determination, or clearer vision, or what? What, if you like, is so magic(k) about it?
i can't really describe what it feels like. there isn't a set feeling i supose, i supose there is a sense of peace at times but then there is with most people. pagan or not. i generally just get the feeling that i'm living my life as full as possible and correcting mistakes i made in past lives. im not striving to reach a place i dont know truly exists after im dead. im just being me and i like waking up and feeling a sense of spirts around me. not like ghost spirits just living things. i cant describe it and i'm probably making no sense.
again i apologise if i offended anyone at all
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 01:59 PM   #45
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
I actually didn't get very much from that site, except this excellent quote:
*gasp* I've been to that web site!!! I found another site :Wicca site
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 05:05 PM   #46
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there was a spiritual world that could be communicated with, whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if a few wiccans, psychics, whoever try to tap in to paranormal forces and such turn out to be recognizing something other people don't, rather than just all being hoaxes or whatever. However it seems to me that there are some common traits of the Wiccan teenagers, these are:

*obsession with vampires and/or werewolves
*tendency toward bi/homosexuality
*have very strong christian family, and/or unstable family lives
*tendency to enjoy 'Anime'
*immature about sex- obsessed with it but from an immature standpoint
*history of being unaccepted by society

I'm not drawing judgments or conclusions about every teenage wiccan there is out there, but I do have several friends from school who are in the practice. The ones that I have gotten to know, when talking about wicca, do it in the 'thee' and 'thou' fashion and such. They have been drawn to seeming mysterious or powerful. They have been moderately annoying

"Why do you have to 'believe'? It is better to Know" or something along those lines said by some kid on White Oleander (I just watched it yesterday and it made me think of that quote).
Old 02-22-2004, 06:42 PM   #47
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol

I'm not drawing judgments or conclusions about every teenage wiccan there is out there, but I do have several friends from school who are in the practice.
I'm glad you're not placing judgements on all teenage Wiccans, because it wouldn't work. I am neither Wiccan nor a teenager, so I can't really talk, but it does seem like a very specific list of generalizations. Actually, I'm not sure where you're going with that one.

I would agree that there's a portion of Wiccans that are in it for the wrong reasons, and I think this also applies to every religion.

For example, (as far as I know) werewolves and vampires have nothing to do with Wicca. If someone became Wiccan because they were obsessed with such things, I would call that a 'wrong' reason.
No one should join any religion lightly, or on a whim, IMO.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:37 PM   #48
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol

I'm glad you're not jumping to conclusions. . I've noticed a lot that people do join wicca for bad reasons - namely because they think it will give them supernatural powers or that they can help themselves through magic. However, for every person who is in wicca for the wrong reasons are people who actually see it for what it is - a system of beliefs, a spiritual thing.

Think for a second: are people turning wiccan because they're unaccepted, or are they being unaccepted because they're turning wiccan?

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:45 PM   #49
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Well I don't want to be judgmental but it's some trends among wiccans I've noticed in my area. Not to offend any wiccans because I am certainly not against wicca but I have known several foolish "wiser than thou" people who have gotten in to Wicca. I can see their motivation... Just concerning the wiccans I have known I draw a theory: the wiccans I have known were rejected by society when they were younger. I can certainly see the appeal in a place-finding as well as an esteem-boost for these people in practicing wicca, they seemed to have a 'I know secrets you don't know" plus it would give them a little control, or feeling of control, over their lives practicing magic... one of the reasons they may need to feel control is because many of them also had unstable family lives. I'm in no way generalizing wiccans, but I have made observations and it seems possible that it could be a motivation for some.

Also, many of my wiccan friends were raised in strict christian or catholic homes, another reason to get in to wicca- independence/rebellion

I'm not meaning to stereotype wiccans but it does seem like a plausible motivation for getting in to wicca as a teenager. I do know of wiccans who I do not get this vibe from, but for Wicca as a trend in highschools, yeah. I can see why people would be drawn to it.

Last edited by Sminty_Smeagol : 02-22-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:35 PM   #50
azalea
Long lost mooter

I agree with Sminty, I think there are a lot of teens who have felt or feel powerless in their lives, and practicing wicca gives them a sense of belonging to something that is out of the ordinary, and also that sense of possessing powers that others do not. This allows them to feel powerful, where before they felt vulnerable. I suppose you could liken it to anorexia -- the teen has little control in their personal/ family life, but finds something he/she CAN control. No one can force you to eat, and no one can force you to believe or not believe. I'm sure there are many teens who become adults still practicing wicca, but I'm just saying that I think Sminty is right -- there's an element in it's popularity that points to some people wanting to be one for reasons other than true belief.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:54 PM   #51
Elf Girl
Lurker

I also agree with Sminty. I know a teenager who calls herself a 'Wiccan', but she views it as a kind of extension of 'Goth'- dressing black, being bisexual, making reference to the occult, no real religion. She's the only one I'm friends with, but my school is jam-packed with 'em.

Also, a lot of 'fluffy-bunny Wiccans', as I've heard them called, are ignorant of their own religion. I don't want to be too harsh, but the starter of this thread is a perfect example. If she were an experienced Wiccan, she would know that the term is 'a Wiccan', and not 'a Wicca', and that asking for 'spells' is a sign of a fluffy-bunny.

And Evishfaerie3088- Perhaps if you were a little more accepting of Christians, you would see how they too are accepting of others. Let's not generalize, hmm? I have my own grievances with Christianity, but I certainly don't claim that all Christians have something to do with those grievances.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 02-23-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 05:00 PM   #52
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
If she were an experienced Wiccan, she would know that the term is 'a Wiccan', and not 'a Wicca', and that asking for 'spells' is a sign of a fluffy-bunny.
There are many posters here where English isn't their first language, this could apply to her.
Quote:

And Evishfaerie3088- Perhaps if you were a little more accepting of Christians, you would see how they too are accepting of others. Let's not generalize, hmm? I have my own grievances with Christianity, but I certainly don't claim that all Christians have something to do with those grievances.
I agree, I don't like being lumped in with any group someone happens to stereotype. Some people are intolerant, but being a Christian is not a prerequisite to this.

I agree that there are Wiccans who are less knowledgeable or committed to their spirituality, but as I pointed out before, this applies to every religion. The "fluffy-bunnies" of religion don't do any real harm.

The Wiccans I happen to know are quiet about it, and also committed. You will not notice that they're Wiccans, unless you know them well. "Fluffy-bunnies", I presume, might advertise the fact that they're Wiccan more, making it seem that they make up a larger part of the group than they actually do.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote