Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2003, 11:34 PM   #1
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Gunslinger

Has this been done? Hope not.

I just love the books, I was disappointed in the 4th, all about Susan not about the gunslingers, but I like the alternate universe King created. Any views?
Old 01-21-2003, 12:20 AM   #2
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

I believe King's the Dark Tower Series to be my second favorite work of fantasy fiction (though I read very little admittedly), next to Tolkiens works.

Wizard and Glass was about Gunslingers though (Roland, Cuthbert, and Alain)! I felt the book was a very neccessary (and invited) flashback into who makes Roland who he is. He is such a fascinating character that one begs for insight into his history and those who influenced him. The 4th book provided that for me anyway.

Totally different in feel from JRRT, but the plot twists, rich character developement and vibrant landscapes make them very memorable. I just hope King finds the time to finish the series before he dies - something he hasn't promised would happen !
Old 01-24-2004, 02:43 AM   #3
Brill
Elven Warrior

Hm,

Well book 5 is out, and that was great. I read it in its first week out.

I noticed alot of King fans love The Stand... but the thing is is that struggle (the one against the Walkin Dude/Flagg and the rest of the good people) is the same struggle that Roland and the gang find themselves in.

5 pretty much ties together alot more worlds... like Salems Lot (Callahan) and all that. Very interesting way that King has, creating these worlds... in all his books and then years later tying them together.

There is a line that struck me specifically when rereading the first Gunslinger. It said he moved (or looked, the correct word eludes me right now) like a man who straightened strange pictures in weird hotel rooms....

If you have ever read 14 Dark Tales you know he wrote a story that basically boils down to that....

Anyway, it is my favorite book series.

Oh and, I sortof agree with wahine, I mean... why should a whole book of the series that is now promised only to be 7 books be devoted to his past life? Before the world moved on as far as it did? It would have been nice if it had just been like... oh... a seperate book!