Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-19-2003, 04:33 PM   #21
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i don't think it really matters if the snipers are crazy or not... they are a danger to society and should never be allowed to be a part of it again
Old 12-19-2003, 05:17 PM   #22
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins

if someone has killed once, there is always the possibility they will kill again... it's not worth the risk in my eyes to ever let them free again... even if it is an extremely small one
I don't think they should be let free, especially not it society if they are a danger. But if they can be kept in a place where they aren't a harm to anyone, then I think it would be a better chioce then killing them.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:32 PM   #23
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

im not sure if everyonne has heard of this person but he lives in port coquitlam b.c. and its robert pickton(the guy who killed 50 prostitutes or somethin) right now he is being tried on i think 42 counts of murder, this actually happened down the street from my school. anyone have any comments on it
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:59 PM   #24
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I disagree that they're crazy. I think both are perfectly sane. Although their plan was to create the perfect society by taking 50 children and raising them to kill and overthrow our current society and then put their own rules in place - or something like that. But I still do not think they were crazy - just fanatics.
where did you hear this? i heard it was simply all a big ruse for Muhammad to kill his former wife without having it easily traced back to him (since she would appear to be a "random" victim of the sniper) as he promised her long ago. Personally I think anyone who can kill someone randomly and without reason is insane on some level. Its abnormal behavior of an extreme level. Its not normal human behavior to kill arbitrarily. But it shows you that "insanity" like this can be taught. I dont think Malvo was a nut case to begin with. I DO think SOME brain washing went on there.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:28 PM   #25
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
where did you hear this? i heard it was simply all a big ruse for Muhammad to kill his former wife without having it easily traced back to him (since she would appear to be a "random" victim of the sniper) as he promised her long ago. Personally I think anyone who can kill someone randomly and without reason is insane on some level. Its abnormal behavior of an extreme level. Its not normal human behavior to kill arbitrarily. But it shows you that "insanity" like this can be taught. I dont think Malvo was a nut case to begin with. I DO think SOME brain washing went on there.
It was all over the news with the trial.

I'm trying to find a web article that has the full details of their plans as Malvo and others outlined. This is the most I found right now. But on the news they went into more details.

Quote:
Cornell testified that Muhammad "psychologically indoctrinated" Malvo by isolating him from family and friends, exposing him to violent videos and games, training him how to use weapons and tactics, controlling his diet, personal hygiene and sleep, and lecturing him repeatedly about his political philosophy.

It was not until late May 2003, more than seven months after their arrest, that Malvo began breaking away from the older man's influence, Cornell said.

Malvo, he said, began to realize that Muhammad's vision to create a utopia with the proceeds of the sniper shootings did not make sense, asking, "If Allah was behind this, how could we fail?"
The idea was to collect children similar to Malvo and create a small army of snipers. I'm trying to find the full thing.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-19-2003 at 06:29 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:38 PM   #26
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

I don't believe in the death penalty for these reasons; I think that if you could actually deserve the death penalty, your evilosity will devour you anyway. And psychological pain is a lot worse than physical pain. So rather than give an evil person the quick way out, I say let their consciense drive them insane. If said evil person's conscience refuses to kick in, then we go to the matter of, is this person really evil? Or is there something beyond this person's control that causes them to be seen as evil in society's eyes? Then different methods of punishment should probably be employed.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:57 PM   #27
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Elvengirl
I don't think they should be let free, especially not it society if they are a danger. But if they can be kept in a place where they aren't a harm to anyone, then I think it would be a better chioce then killing them.
i'm with you on that... it's just that our legal system allows too many people free that it should not (and keeps many in for longer than it should)... if there was a true "no parole" system i would be 100% against the death penalty
Old 12-19-2003, 08:57 PM   #28
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Elenka
I don't believe in the death penalty for these reasons; I think that if you could actually deserve the death penalty, your evilosity will devour you anyway. And psychological pain is a lot worse than physical pain. So rather than give an evil person the quick way out, I say let their consciense drive them insane. If said evil person's conscience refuses to kick in, then we go to the matter of, is this person really evil? Or is there something beyond this person's control that causes them to be seen as evil in society's eyes? Then different methods of punishment should probably be employed.
so how would this handle psychopaths who are incapable of feeling psychological pain. Who simply see other humans as objects to do what they want with. These are broken people incapable of recognizing the humanity in a fellow human. I dont really believe in evil per se. I believe in extremes and our perception of a certain kind of extreme we call evil.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 03:11 AM   #29
Guillaume le Maréchal
Elven Warrior

Being a psychopath doesn't exempt one from the law, nor does it necessarily indicate that someone is unfit to stand trail. Most psychopaths understand the difference between right and wrong, but they enjoy doing wrong. Keep in mind that just because someone enjoys killing or raping people doesn't mean they are unfit to stand trail or unfit to be punished for crimes committed.

This might sound crass, but it really is my personal opinion:

Capital punishment should be left up to the victims or the family of the victims... if they want to kill the offender, then more power to them, give them an axe and let them go at it. If they can’t or don’t want to do it, then that’s fine too. If someone is unwilling to put someone else to death personally, then why expect the state to do it for them when there are viable alternatives available?
as good as war, trouble and action.

--Bertran de Born, Knight and Troubadour

Castle Duncan
Guillaume le Maréchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:27 AM   #30
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
im not sure if everyonne has heard of this person but he lives in port coquitlam b.c. and its robert pickton(the guy who killed 50 prostitutes or somethin) right now he is being tried on i think 42 counts of murder, this actually happened down the street from my school. anyone have any comments on it
What do you mean? Did he kill one there, or pick one up there?

It sounds like a busy street corner, is all I've got to say.

JD: Respectively, you must be out of your mind if you think they're wholely sane. No one in their right mind just decides to kill everyone and start over. He could be easily compared to Hitler.

And if it was so pre-meditated, why did they start shoting so early, before even starting this "small army?" (that's only rhetorical, and not aimed at anyone but the snipers [ironic wording]) They're both either looney or just stone dumb. Either way, they shouldn't be killed for it.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 12-22-2003 at 12:35 AM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote