Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2003, 01:19 PM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
My third attempt at a homepage.

Have at the moment made three pages.

Is there anyone who's profficient at making simple frames. The book I borrowed from the library (which was Dummies guide to HTML) wasn't particularly good. Too abbreviated. Or if anyone could give me some info on good and
complete HTML-books I would be grateful.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 12-16-2003 at 01:15 PM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:01 PM   #2
zinnite
Elven Warrior

HTML Goodies

I know it's not a book, but it's a pretty good site; I've used it many times to figure things out.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:26 PM   #3
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

here's a good site with a lot of well-written how-to's

webmonkey

lots of books

like this one

none of the are great reads... but this is one of the better ones
brownjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 04:25 AM   #4
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Thanks. I will use the sites and try to get hold of the book.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:33 AM   #5
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Wolf
Thanks. I will use the sites and try to get hold of the book.
If you want - I can show you how I do frames for my website. Also if you describe what you are trying to do, I can walk you through it probably.

If you have any questions you can ask.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-13-2003 at 04:34 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:13 AM   #6
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Frames are not that hard to do, once you get the hang of it. Remembering what code to put on what page can be tricky, but it's worth it! I think frames look really good.

[Edit] Are you including tables, Grey Wolf? Jag älskar tabell. (I don't know what the Swedish term for HTML tables would be).
JD knows how much I like tables.

Last edited by Linaewen : 12-13-2003 at 08:58 AM.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 08:42 AM   #7
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Jag älskar bord. (I don't know what the Swedish term for HTML tables would be).
The Swedish term is 'tabell'. No one would understand you if you used the word 'bord' in this context
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 09:57 AM   #8
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
If you want - I can show you how I do frames for my website. Also if you describe what you are trying to do, I can walk you through it probably.

If you have any questions you can ask.
I did try to use <frameset> and after that <frameset rows="value,value"> and <frameset cols="value,value"> but didn't quite understand why there had to be two values. And I did put the tags above the last two tags on the page so it should have worked after I pushed F5 but it didn't.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:04 AM   #9
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

At first I have done four pages:
One for Home so to speak, the next is Interests, Different Comic indexes, My books and films. My intent was to have links to these subpages. And I am going make several more subpages with links on Home.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:26 PM   #10
jerseydevil

Quote:
I did try to use <frameset> and after that <frameset rows="value,value"> and <frameset cols="value,value"> but didn't quite understand why there had to be two values. And I did put the tags above the last two tags on the page so it should have worked after I pushed F5 but it didn't.
This is the code I have for my AboutNewJersey.com page...

<FRAMESET rows="120,*,80" border=0 frameborder=0 cols="*">
<FRAME SRC="frames/header.htm" NAME="header" scrolling="no" border=0 frameborder=0>
<FRAME SRC="frames/stats.htm" NAME="main" scrolling="auto" border=0 frameborder=0>
<FRAME SRC="frames/advertising.htm" NAME="advertising" scrolling="no" border=0 frameborder=0>
</frameset>

Now mine only has one column - but 3 rows.

The Frameset tage defines the sizes as being ((top)120 pixels, (bottom) 80 pixels and the middle to be whatever is left over on the browswer screen. Mine does not include any borders.

It then defines the individual frames.

1st frame (top) contains the header.htm file and is not scrollable and is called "header".

2nd frame (middle) contains the stats.html file and is autoscrollabe (this means that if not all of it is viewable on the screen it will automatically put scroll bars, if all of it is viewable then there will be no scrollbars. This one is called "main"

3rd frame (bottom) contains the advertising.html file and is not scrollable. It is called "advertising"

so this will look like....

=====================
|............header.......................|
---------------------------------------
|...............................................|
|..............main.........................|
|...........advertising..................|
======================

Then when you want to refer to a particular frame to change it's html page - you can either say that all links will update that frame or you can tell it in each link...

for instance...

<a href="../JerseyShore/SeaBright.htm" target="_self" class="Redlink">Sea
Bright</a><br>

This code is in the Jersey Shore main page contained on the "main" frame and I want it to be put there - so I say 'target="_self"'.

If it is outside the frame you want to update then replace target with the name of your frame you want the page to appear in. such as 'target="main"'

If you have any questions, or this isn't working right - let me know. Let me know. I can also show you how to do combination column and row frames. Like I said - this one is just a basic 3 row layout.

If you let me know what layout you want - I can get it for you too and then walk you through the code.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-13-2003 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:07 AM   #11
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
This is the code I have for my AboutNewJersey.com page...

<FRAMESET rows="120,*,80" border=0 frameborder=0 cols="*">
<FRAME SRC="frames/header.htm" NAME="header" scrolling="no" border=0 frameborder=0>
<FRAME SRC="frames/stats.htm" NAME="main" scrolling="auto" border=0 frameborder=0>
<FRAME SRC="frames/advertising.htm" NAME="advertising" scrolling="no" border=0 frameborder=0>
</frameset>

Now mine only has one column - but 3 rows.

The Frameset tage defines the sizes as being ((top)120 pixels, (bottom) 80 pixels and the middle to be whatever is left over on the browswer screen. Mine does not include any borders.

It then defines the individual frames.

1st frame (top) contains the header.htm file and is not scrollable and is called "header".

2nd frame (middle) contains the stats.html file and is autoscrollabe (this means that if not all of it is viewable on the screen it will automatically put scroll bars, if all of it is viewable then there will be no scrollbars. This one is called "main"

3rd frame (bottom) contains the advertising.html file and is not scrollable. It is called "advertising"

so this will look like....

=====================
|............header.......................|
|..............main.........................|
|...........advertising..................|
======================

Then when you want to refer to a particular frame to change it's html page - you can either say that all links will update that frame or you can tell it in each link...

for instance...

<a href="../JerseyShore/SeaBright.htm" target="_self" class="Redlink">Sea
Bright</a><br>

This code is in the Jersey Shore main page contained on the "main" frame and I want it to be put there - so I say 'target="_self"'.

If it is outside the frame you want to update then replace target with the name of your frame you want the page to appear in. such as 'target="main"'

If you have any questions, or this isn't working right - let me know. Let me know. I can also show you how to do combination column and row frames. Like I said - this one is just a basic 3 row layout.

If you let me know what layout you want - I can get it for you too and then walk you through the code.
I did try to do it. But I guess the codes I paste in lacks major pieces to make the designchanges work. Like documents and pictures which I can put into the frames which is imperative when doing frames. Is there no way to make EMPTY frames to begin with. Frames which one can fill when one has the necessary material.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 12-14-2003 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:33 AM   #12
jerseydevil

Quote:
I did try to do it. But I guess the codes I paste in lacks major pieces to make the designchanges work. Like documents and pictures which I can put into the frames which is imperative when doing frames. Is there no way to make EMPTY frames to begin with. Frames which one can fill when one has the necessary material.
Well then you would have a blank.htm file that has nothing in it. Basically the frame page that has the above code is an underlying page. It just takes the other pages and places them in there.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are looking for though.

I'll try to get you a sample tomorrow if you want and then I can e-mail it to you. Just try to explain as much as you can here of what you are trying to do.

Fro what you described above - I think you might be misunderstanding partially how frames work.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-15-2003 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:20 AM   #13
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well then you would have a blank.htm file that has nothing in it. Basically the frame page that has the above code is an underlying page. It just takes the other pages and places them in there.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are looking for though.

I'll try to get you a sample tomorrow if you want and then I can e-mail it to you. Just try to explain as much as you can here of what you are trying to do.

Fro what you described above - I think you might be misunderstanding partially how frames work.
I'm very much a beginner. SO frames must have a content, otherwize they won't appear. The computor which I've made the pages on doesn't contain any of the things which I wish to show on my pages so I'll copy them and try fill the frame-codes I got from you with adresses to the files, which I have on my computor back home, and hope it works.

I've seen VERY simple homepages, so since I'm just beginning to learn HTML perhaps I should start small and work outward.

On the Interest-page for example I've only made a ul-list listing my interests.

Then I tried, on the Indexes-page, to make a table in which I
would have links to my comic-indexes.

Then I aimed to have a page, called My films and books, with links to two excel-files containing lists on all the films I've seen and all my english books.

But perhaps it would be better to have the excel-links on the HOME-page instead of having them on a page of their own.

Does one have to have a site on server right away or could one make the pages first and then place them on a site ordered from ones internet manager.

Yes, it would nice if you could e-mail me how-to info.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 12-15-2003 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:42 PM   #14
jerseydevil

Quote:
I'm very much a beginner. SO frames must have a content, otherwize they won't appear. The computor which I've made the pages on doesn't contain any of the things which I wish to show on my pages so I'll copy them and try fill the frame-codes I got from you with adresses to the files, which I have on my computor back home, and hope it works.
I can try walking you through developing a website and get you beyond the basics.
Quote:

I've seen VERY simple homepages, so since I'm just beginning to learn HTML perhaps I should start small and work outward.
One thing I would recommend is downloading netscape if you don't have it. It has a built in html GUI editor which is actually very good and free. It doesn't do frames - but that's not a huge deal though, because a frame page is only one html file.
Quote:

On the Interest-page for example I've only made a ul-list listing my interests.

Then I tried, on the Indexes-page, to make a table in which I
would have links to my comic-indexes.

Then I aimed to have a page, called My films and books, with links to two excel-files containing lists on all the films I've seen and all my english books.

But perhaps it would be better to have the excel-links on the HOME-page instead of having them on a page of their own.
By your description, I would probably have a left hand area (frame) that contains your menu items (books, movies, interests, etc). The main section would be the rest of the browser and be where the main pages will be displayed. Just like in my design for my website - the center area is my main page area in AboutNewJersey.com

Quote:

Does one have to have a site on server right away or could one make the pages first and then place them on a site ordered from ones internet manager.
You can work completely offline to desgin and develop your website. You don't need a server or anything. The only time you need a server is when you get into interactive/dyamic web design - basically building a webapp - by using JSP/Java, ASP, PHP, etc.
Quote:

Yes, it would nice if you could e-mail me how-to info.
Now problem.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-15-2003 at 12:43 PM.