Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-07-2004, 06:43 AM   #1
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

no one should make the silmarillion, it is too vast a story to even attempt, and it would tarnish the stories for so many of us who have read, and visualized them.
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 02:42 PM   #2
Lenya
Elentári

I am 100% against a Silmarillion movie. It is impossible to work all of the magic of a book into a movie - I prove my point with the LotR movie. There is no way that a Silmarillion movie can be made better than that one, and that one was not good enough to be called the LotR. No, the Silmarillion is simply to good to be spoiled by a stupid movie.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
Manveru
Elven Warrior

Strider

I think a movie of 'The Silmarillion' would never work because of the obvious reasons stated above. But someone could make a bunch of movies based on certain stories, starting with the most popular and the ones most mentioned in lotr. They could probably do Beren and Luithien, Turin Turambar, Of Maeglin, Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin, etc. Like 6 movies based around the majors stories, and then have a huge special extended edition boxed set that has all of them and links them all together with short prologue type thingys.
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Something like a series of movies could work, theoretically, at least, but who would have the patience to do it, and do it correctly? I have to agree with Lenya and most of the other people who have posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya
I am 100% against a Silmarillion movie. It is impossible to work all of the magic of a book into a movie - I prove my point with the LotR movie. There is no way that a Silmarillion movie can be made better than that one, and that one was not good enough to be called the LotR. No, the Silmarillion is simply to good to be spoiled by a stupid movie.
I know how a lot of LotR purists felt about the movies, on many points I agree with them. Whether it would be made into one or a series of movies, the Silmarillion is probably still too large a project to do justice to. I know I would not want to watch it.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:05 AM   #5
Ælfwine
Hobbit

I don't see how anyone could make a movie of The Silmarillion.
First of all, consider the lack of dialogue. How could one make a movie of that book and stay true to it?
I understand that a number of the members that have posted here are of the opinion that PJ did a great job. Well, I totally disagree. PJ made so many adaptions, that the films are closing on disrespect for Tolkien's works

And can someone tell me how they would picture the Ainulindalë on the Silver Screen? Not to mention the soundtrack.

I hope that The Tolkien Estate manages to sit on the rights until after movies is as obsolete as the Teutonic Knight...
Old 02-02-2005, 03:09 AM   #6
Varda
Elven Warrior

Gandalf Could the Silmarillion be Appreciated by a Wider Audience?

The Silmarillion contains some very esoteric kinds of history that upon my first impression 'read like the Bible' to put it delicately. Given the splicing and dicing of the basic trilogy and the public's subsequent lack of understanding (and subsequent reluctance to pick up the volumes themselves), is it even worth going through all the trouble to market and make available a book that most people wouldn't have read even if they knew what it was?
Old 02-02-2005, 05:32 AM   #7
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varda
The Silmarillion contains some very esoteric kinds of history that upon my first impression 'read like the Bible' to put it delicately. Given the splicing and dicing of the basic trilogy and the public's subsequent lack of understanding (and subsequent reluctance to pick up the volumes themselves), is it even worth going through all the trouble to market and make available a book that most people wouldn't have read even if they knew what it was?
That's true. The Sil is just too complicated a book to adapt convincingly into movie format, let alone acknowledging the fact that few people have ever read the book and it probably would not interest the general cinema going public..
Old 02-02-2005, 03:45 PM   #8
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
it could make a great mini-series though...
Old 02-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

And by "mini" maybe you mean "super long"?

I actually think, in the hands of the most skilled, artistic and uncolrruptable director ever (does not yet exist) the Sil could be woven into a good mini-series.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:18 PM   #10
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I think that if they do make a movie about the Sil, they should do the story "Of the Rings of 'Power and the Thrid Age" or "The Akallabeth". Those are fairly stragihtforward stories I think...although they aren't exactly the Quenta Silmarillion, they are included in the published work.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:55 PM   #11
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i agree... you could make two... the downfall of numenor would be a great story in and of itself, and maybe the fall of gil-galad to cover the rings forging to the last alliance (this one would need the most "creative license" since the details are rather sparse)
Old 12-26-2003, 08:18 AM   #12
Raistlin
Enting

Nazgul

i can't see the sil as a movie but more like a huge mini series like starting from the very begining of the book. when i read it i SO totally could see an opening(albeit a complete ripoff of disneys) of the songs intertwining and combining then falling apart but the question with this is who would compose the actual music for this

Maud'ib
I am a Bene Gesserit, I live only to serve

check this out:
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=m5699nnk

Okay come on and help me some more its different game this time
http://www.outwar.com/page.php?x=1906371
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 01:23 PM   #13
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

The Silmarillion could work as a sort of franchise, sem-independent stories, rather like the Star Trek or Planet of the Apes movies. in the same "universe" but largely autonomous stories. Some of the (partially overlapping story lines, but that's not necessarily bad in films) film stories, in no particular order, could be:

1---Feanor
2---Turin Turambar, Master of Doom
3---Gondolin
4---Beren and Luthien
5---The Akallabeth (ending with Elendil, Isildur, and Anarion landing on MIddle-earth
6---Thingol and Melian
7---Maeglin
8---Maedros [and you thought Boromir was a conflicted hero]
9---Earendil and the war of Wrath

10---(and, from Unfinished Tales, The Mariner's Wife
and
11---Cirion and Eorl, from the Third Age, would also make a great movie, and would have a ready audience ready from LOTR movies.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 12-26-2003 at 01:27 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 03:23 PM   #14
Raistlin
Enting

Nazgul

yes like what they did with the "animatrix" how they did the whole pre-matrix thing but have the same format of animation.

Maud'ib
I am a Bene Gesserit, I live only to serve

check this out:
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=m5699nnk

Okay come on and help me some more its different game this time
http://www.outwar.com/page.php?x=1906371
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 04:17 PM   #15
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
8---Maedros [and you thought Boromir was a conflicted hero]
Now that is a movie that I would definitely watch.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 08:23 AM   #16
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

I would love to see the film but it wont be as sucsusfull has LOTR because alot of the audience wont understand in unless they have read the books or are hard core LOTR fans. Turins story would be loved and uderstood by many(women proably lol no im not sexist) the beginging will be hard but once they get the stride into Feanors story and the wars of the silmaril it will get easier for the audience to understand. I will love to see it but i don think its gonna happen, they would change too much if they do it and that will ruin the book.
Lord Manafirogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 12:23 PM   #17
Orli17
Elven Warrior

you know? i started reading the silmariliion adn got so confused with who's who in the Valar.....i'm planning on continuing tho and i think that if there is a film it'll be easier ot understand.....

LEGOLAS GREENLEAF

10 Things You'll Find in Legolas' Backpack - Elvensmiths & Co.

10. hairbrush
9. blower
8. powder
7. Enya’s "the Memory of Trees" CD
6. cold cream
5. mud packs
4. First Aid kit
3. shampoo and conditioner
2. his picture
1. 101 Ways to Become the Prettiest Thing in Middle Earth

that is from theonering.net 'tookish ticklers top ten things'...just citing my sources.....
Orli17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:07 AM   #18
Lord Boromir
Hobbit

never ever make a film of Silmarillion!!!! It is impossible to make justice to the story, and it/they would only ruin it. never!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:56 AM   #19
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Orli17
you know? i started reading the silmariliion adn got so confused with who's who in the Valar.....i'm planning on continuing tho and i think that if there is a film it'll be easier ot understand.....
You really should continue. I'm probably in the minority in generally liking the first part of The Silmarillion. It's laying a larger Nordic type background of a depicting of the "gods" (really angelic-type spirits), and the tale becomes increasingly Middle-earth centered as it progresses. Watch for perhaps the most moving, complicated, and tragic character (Maedhros). Edwin Mear's 1950s review to the contrary, JRRT did create some complicated characters. I find Maedhros more interesting and sympathetic then, say, Turin.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 02-06-2004 at 04:53 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:42 PM   #20
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I love the first part of Silmarillion too. It's so beautifully written, and I love the music of the Valar!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote