Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-24-2003, 05:47 AM   #1
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Summary

I wondered if anyone would be willing to help me with my summary, and indeed if anyone else has trouble with summaries. I have written it, but am not sure if it is interesting to the reader. Being the writer, it's difficult for me to judge if this will engage interest or not, because I already know what comes of it, so I thought I'd post it and see if I could get a general opinion. My story focuses on political instability between religious sects, and society and women's role therein. So here's the summary.

“Down with the Guild system!” the banners of The Unified Church read. The Union has managed to spread across Narella, the Western world, but the elves have long relied on the system of clans and guilds to keep their freedom. They are not about to give it up, especially not for *their* kind. Jaira De Morette, an elf of high status, has had little to worry about during her short life, but that is all to change when the Union arrive in the elven city of Goldleaf Lakes. Friends and family start disappearing, the power hungry Unified Church destroy more and more of the old way of life, and a much more sinister purpose is working all the time where she would least expect to see it. Jaira has to fight for her love, freedom, and life as all around her the echelons of power and society dissolve into chaos and disorder. The old ways are being destroyed, and she must realise status and power can no longer win her what she desires.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 10:25 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

It still seems a bit mysterious to me, but I can be rather dense! The combination of Elves and church throws me a little, but you have done a nice job. Maybe one or two more line about what kind of "changes".
Old 08-25-2003, 05:26 AM   #3
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

That's something I hadn't considered. I should probably rename the Church because they are a religious group, but I don't mean them to be the same as say, the Catholic Church, because this is a different world.

Thanks Lizra, I shall work on it.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 06:28 PM   #4
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
EEK! That's what confused me the first time. It sounds like a good enough book(not really my style that's why I say good enough) but the summary doesn't really grab me. Is this a thread just for your summary or others peoples too?
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote