Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-31-2003, 03:30 PM   #21
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo it was great!!!!!
But then again it isn't everyones cup of tea!

I love Cell Block Tango!!!! It is brilliant and me and a couple of my friends keep singing it and everyone else is getting a bit fed up with us!!!!!!!

Catherine was amazing!!! She DEFFINATELY deserved the oscar she got without any doubt at all.

Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 04:21 PM   #22
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Cell block tango was awesome. It reminded me of the soundtrack to Dancer in the Dark. Also a very good album.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:11 PM   #23
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Millane, I started a separate thread for discussing GoNY here.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 03:54 PM   #24
Belle
Enting

I loved Chicago. I thought Catherine Zeta Jones did an amazing job, but I was a bit disappointed with Renee and Richard Gere. Queen Latifah is a really amazing singer too and Cellblock Tango rules. I also like the 'We both reached for the gun' and 'All that Jazz'. I saw the musical before I saw the film and i thought the film did it justice. I hope they make a film of Cats now!
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Made me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:04 PM   #25
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by Belle
I loved Chicago. I thought Catherine Zeta Jones did an amazing job, but I was a bit disappointed with Renee and Richard Gere. Queen Latifah is a really amazing singer too and Cellblock Tango rules. I also like the 'We both reached for the gun' and 'All that Jazz'. I saw the musical before I saw the film and i thought the film did it justice. I hope they make a film of Cats now!

Ooh, that would totally rock my socks. Cats is my all-time favorite Broadway musical...*wanders off, singing "Are you blind when you're born? Can you see in the dark?..."*)

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:59 PM   #26
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

How Cats would translate to film is completely beyond me, but oh well...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 04-09-2003, 09:09 PM   #27
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Finally saw the movie last Saturday night. I understand why it won the Oscar -- artistic merit and all that jazz. However, I didn't much care for it. Didn't like the characters (though the actors portrayed them wonderfully) or the plot.

I hadn't seen the play so only had a barebones idea of the plot. And I'm finding that the older I get, the less I want to see the "bad guys" win when I go for entertainment.

One thing I did enjoy was seeing the songs in context. For example, I knew the song, Mr. Cellophane, but didn't know it was from this musical. Does anyone know? Was the Broadway musical a Bob Fosse play?

I probably won't ever have the urge to see Chicago again.

Off topic, but I really hope ROTK wins big next year.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 12:06 AM   #28
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Yes, it was Bob Fosse. Hence, the stylistic similarities to Cabaret (the Broadway revival of which was also directed by Rob Marshall, director of the film of Chicago).

I think by having the "bad guys win", as you put it, Chicago was making a very sharp underlying point in a satirical manner. It portrays the glitzy 1920s as a time when fame, money and pure celebrity status corrupted the justice system; in a small way, it acts as a critique of our tabloid-crazy society today.

Old 04-10-2003, 10:15 PM   #29
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I don't disagree with you, IP. The movie was very well done and the satirical theme brilliantly portrayed. I've just become a "weenie" in my old age.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:25 PM   #30
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
I wanna see it but haven't as of yet
What was the basic plot I know that might seem obvious but I havent much looked into it

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 04:27 AM   #31
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

It's out on DVD today!!!!!!!!! yay!
I can't wait until the shops open and can get a copy!
I'm going to be dancing all the time now ! lol! (Well more than usual)
Old 08-24-2003, 06:15 AM   #32
kiwi
Elven Warrior

i saw it and thot it was good, I'm really not into films like that but I thot it was quite good. I liked cell block tango the best
Old 08-24-2003, 07:11 AM   #33
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Yeah that is great it has to be my favourite part!!!!!!

On Celebrity Stars in their eyes Karen from Corrie did Catherine's "All that Jazz" lol but she was nooooooo where near as good! It was quite funny actually!
Old 09-02-2003, 02:33 PM   #34
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I saw this movie the other day. It was decent, but best picture? I think not.

On the plus side, I liked Mr. Cellophane and the Cell Block Tango.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 07:41 PM   #35
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

i didn't like it. never ever mention the razzle dazzle song! NO! i shall not tolerate it. and there was a guy at the theatre who was wearing all leather and had a feather in his hat.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote