Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-01-2001, 01:56 AM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Go see "Amélie"

It's a very charming and imaginative film. Definitely a delightful way to spend two hours. I highly recommend it to anyone who has some semblance of a heart.

Full review coming whenever I feel like writing one.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 02:12 AM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Full review:

Quote:
SUMMARY

A shy, introverted girl (Audrey Tautou) embarks on a quest to meddle around with the lives of others to make them happy, and discovers love along the way.

RECOMMENDED FOR:

Film fans with hearts.

REVIEW

The title character of Amélie goes to great lengths to make people smile. Let me do the same for you by recommending this delightful visual fruitcake of a movie.

This is one of those films that kept me smiling throughout with its lighthearted wit. It goes far beyond the mold of a typical romantic comedy with sprinkles of vivid imagery and surreal visual effects that never seem out of place, be it talking furniture, physical manifestations of Amélie's emotions, or moving photographs and paintings that easily rival Harry Potter's. In fact, this serves to drive the viewer straight into the imaginative world of the simple and creative pleasures of life that Amélie experiences.

Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet infuses Amélie with life in every shot and every angle, some visualized with the same hyperkinetic energy as that found in Baz Luhrmann's similarly dynamic Moulin Rouge, but placed into a light, poignant and downright fun atmosphere defined by vibrant cinematography and an appropriately very French score. Add to that one of the most involving and best-written voiceover narrations in memory, and simply put, this movie is stylish and cool.

Yet Amélie's coolness blends in seamlessly with its warmth. Amélie's taciturn bashfulness, amplified by Audrey Tautou's exhilirating performance, is easy to sympathize with and interesting to watch as she interacts with the colourful and memorable assortment of characters surrounding her through actions instead of words.

Without a doubt, Amélie is a model example of cinematic charm. It expounds upon the catchphrase "movie magic" in an entertaining and imaginative way, and serves as a visual poem of love and kindness without ever being forced and preachy. It is a superb definition of a romantic comedy that uses the film medium to its full potential, and just a delight to watch.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 12-05-2001, 12:51 PM   #3
Darth Tater
The man

Guess I'll have to check this out! One question: is the narration original to the french version, or one of those sickening add ons that show up on American screens sometimes?
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 01:50 AM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

It's part of the film, in French and subtitled.

Old 12-19-2001, 08:48 AM   #5
Steerpike
Sapling

This was my favorite film of the year [and yes, that does include FOTR, but not because I disliked FOTR.] This movie was more the kind of film I usually go for, and I love the director's previous work [except for Alien Resurrection.]
Steerpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 04:07 AM   #6
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

I loved Amelie-
I thought it was one of the best films ive seen lately. It definantly has a charm to it. & Its good to see people living their lives in a pleasant way for once. It was also not too colorful, with an exelent cast.
Lady Tinuveil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 04:02 AM   #7
Strongbow
Hobbit

i love that movie. very good. suggest City of Lost Children aswell...

as for amelie i watched it with my girlfriend because i liked it, she loved it too, waiting for my cusin to give it back so i can watch it again.

great film
~ Duke Raul
===========
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote