Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-01-2001, 11:39 PM   #1
Tai daishar

Bean

I don't remember if we've talked about the new Orson Scott Card books about Bean in here yet. I read Ender's Shadow a while ago, and while we have Shadow of the Hegemon, I haven't had a chance to read it yet.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:49 AM   #2
Elbreth of Carhouth

Re: Bean

New names to me, what's it all about?
Old 04-02-2001, 04:14 AM   #3
Finduilas

As far as I know, they are set during and after "Enders Game". I've only read the first one.
Old 04-05-2001, 03:52 AM   #4
Tai daishar

Ender's Shadow is set at the same time as Ender's Game, and Shadow of the Hegemon is set at the same time as the book that comes right after Ender's Game (I forget the title).

Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon are parallel novels. They center around Bean, while the original books centered around Ender.
Old 04-05-2001, 05:50 PM   #5
Finduilas

I'm planning to read Shadow of the Hedgemon as soon as I can get it at the library (currently it's got way too many holds on it).
Old 04-08-2001, 10:42 PM   #6
Tai daishar

Hee hee. When I went with my grandma to volunteer at the library, I could read anything I wanted. I don't think I ever did, but I could have intercepted any book on the hold shelf and read it myself.
Old 05-02-2001, 05:20 AM   #7
easterlinge

I found the Ender books rather depressing. Good writing to be sure, but.... even after the Battle School, doesn't anything good ever happen to Ender? He's starting to feel like Charlie Brown. I'd get ulcers if I had to live like that.

I haven't read Children of the Mind yet. If the descolada was deliberately planted, I think there's going to be a few more worlds whose biology is altered.