Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2003, 09:25 PM   #41
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

it had all the same levels? super mario bros for snes had 8 worlds and 4 levels in each world, isnt that more space than NES games could handle?

anyway, there is this new thing called the e-reader. You swipe cards with games on them through it and play them. Like trading cards. There are dots on them that contain games. Trading card games will probably start using this to enhance them , too bad i dont care for them anymore.

ANYWAY, the only reason i bring this up is because they also play CLASSIC NES games. So far there are about 10 of them out and they are sold is booster card fashion (in those little foil packs..these are like trading cards). They come 5 cards in a pack, you need to swipe all 5 cards through it and you can play it! The e-reader is a steep $40 - highly overpriced, but i paid it because i was curious about it. The good side is is that classic games only cost about $4.99 each at most stores that sell games. The whole thing is pretty neat, swipe cards and play classic games which are pretty cheap. They promise a lot more NES games coming out soon - three just yesterday were released.

I don't want to sound like the Nintendo Advertiser for gameboy, but I only talk about it because its the only system I have. Plus, this may interest classic video gamers (if you still don't have your systems). Why they couldn't just release these games cheaply on cartridges is beyond me, but oh well.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:30 PM   #42
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
it had all the same levels? super mario bros for snes had 8 worlds and 4 levels in each world, isnt that more space than NES games could handle?
I'll be honest.......I have no idea (got bored of the Mario stuff long before I finished the games, they look the same tho')

Why don't you download the emulators and ROMs and try them out?

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:44 PM   #43
HOBBIT

because im lazy. i do have the emulator though...from when i downloaded it years ago. I thought you'd know. Oh well.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 04-23-2003, 09:53 PM   #44
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Yes, all the same levels. You played All-Stars, then.

The original Super Mario Bros. had 8 worlds, with 4 levels in each world (3 + 1 castle). In fact, there was actually a "hard mode" after you beat the game, where you could play it all over again with shorter platforms and Goombas transformed into Buzzy Beetles.

The differences between the NES and SNES version: in the SNES All-Stars release, the graphics were updated to fit the 16-bit system's capabilities, everything was a whole lot more colourful and decorative, and the music was also fleshed out a bit instead of being all beeps and whistles. I preferred the beeps and whistles, but that's just me. Also, the SNES allowed you to save games, whereas the NES did not.

The e-reader does look pretty cool, though you can already get a lot of old NES games for GBA on "multicarts" (100 games in 1, etc. - I'm not sure they're legal), though I've never seen them sold in North America. Myself, I'm more interested in collecting the classic cartridges themselves, since I actually have an NES sitting around. Emulation's good and all, but playing the game on the console is an experience. I'm still looking for SNES titles like EarthBound, Donkey Kong Country and Yoshi's Island on their original cartridges.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:06 PM   #45
HOBBIT

try ebay.

Old 04-23-2003, 10:21 PM   #46
HOBBIT

damn, just looked up multi-carts........ 200 games in 1 - for $60! I'm not sure if they are legal, probably not. Yeah, the NES games i got for E-reader were all in the same multi-cart with like 50 other games for probably around the same price. Oh well

1. they dont look legal. 2. who knows how well they really work. 3. a majority of the games i don't really need or want.

But they sure look awesome! I never heard about these. Definitely not made by nintendo or legal, otherwise why would it not be advertised, on their website, and sold in stores? The most they make is 4 in 1 - not 200 in 1. If it really works, then that would be amazing, but the price is a little steep.

Basically just emulated games all in one - they never work 100% like they should. Good idea though.

Old 04-24-2003, 12:12 AM   #47
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Multicarts do work pretty well, actually... my brother has a few for his GBA, and I actually have old multicarts for the NES, of all systems... they've been around for a long time now.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure they're illegal, but so are emulators (if you don't have the original cartridge)...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:18 AM   #48
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
And yeah, I'm pretty sure they're illegal, but so are emulators (if you don't have the original cartridge)...
Only if you keep the downloaded game for more than 24 hrs

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 01:01 AM   #49
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

That makes me laugh. Ha! Everyone knows you keep them for years.

I forgot this game last time: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Turtles Take Manhattan or something along those lines. All the Turtles as a matter of fact.

I have a whole lotta NES games (legitamate).

Has anyone heard of Base Wars? It's a baseball game in outer space with robots. Really cool. Really 80s.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:39 PM   #50
HOBBIT

these multicarts are like the price of a new GBA almost. I'd only get one if the main featured GBA games were ones that I really planned on getting, and then I'd save money. I'd also have to be confident they work with no errors.

anyway, back on topic