Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-10-2002, 02:36 PM   #41
samwise909
Sapling

Strider brilliant

Tolkien created a world that was perfectly fantastical and perfectly living and thriving that we could identify with this place in our own world of today.

" Not all that glitters is Gold, Not all who wander are lost.."

-Sam-
samwise909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 01:10 AM   #42
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
and it gives those of us who are growing up and dont want their imagination to leave us (like me) a few more years of being immature and believing in faeries and hobbits and orcs and magic.
Uh, there's no age limit on delighting in those things. I'm pushing 60 and see no end in sight . . .the older I get the more real magic I see in the world. It's the young adults who are too pragmatic for their own good.
How about this: we are all hobbits or orcs or elves or ents at heart.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 01:32 PM   #43
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I agree Entlover! I don't think I'll feel like I'm hanging on to the magic of Tolkein when I'm older. I'll just keep enjoying it... I'll be up to a million posts on Entmoot!

Don't worry, not all young adults are jaded
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 07:25 AM   #44
Misty Mountain Goat
Hobbit

Im only a young'n at the moment, pushing 16, but the way im getting into it and the passion ive seen from others is amazing. I also intend to take the wonders of Middle Earth to my grave.
Misty Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 11:29 AM   #45
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Welcome to the 'Moot, MMG!

It is definnitely the most re-readable tale I have read to date. Most books present at a 3-d level, but Tolkien has so much depth that there is always a new aspect that you may have missed.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 01:03 PM   #46
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

It's good because it's interesting and exciting, that's why I think it's good.
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 05:11 PM   #47
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
. Because of the destruction of the One Ring the great elves cant live in Middle Earth any longer because their refuges have diminished and faded with the destruction of the One Ring. So it's a bittersweet beauty there.
Have I got this straight?
The elves can't stay in Middle earth any longer because their refuges would fade: but the trees, buildings, etc would still be there, correct? Does this mean things would start to get old and grimy, and the elves would have to learn how to mop, sweep, paint, dust, etc just like mortals do? And they couldn't handle that? So they went back across the sea where there's no upkeep?
Sorry, I'm having a cynical day.
I'd go across the sea if I could avoid housework too.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 06:13 PM   #48
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

^Someone should spoily box that.

It's fascinating. Just to think that any mortal can have the foresight and genius to write such a good story. He knows just what is going to take place books before it happens, but always keeps the reader joyfully surprised. Tolkien is the fantasy god.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:40 PM   #49
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

I remember when I picked up the Hobbit on a whim, just because I needed something to read on the way to the beach when I was in high school. It really blew me away and then while I was still in Florida, I read FOTR and TTT. I was just in awe.

But I think LOTR is a very big deal because it is so original. At the time there was nothing out there like it. The vast majority of fantasy novels written since draw their influences from Tolkien, some to a great degree, others less so.

Also, it is so deep. The fact that he created the languages as his first love and then the History of the Silmarils, and THEN the Hobbit and LOTR, there is a real history to it. Not something quickly cobbled together as window dressing, but a real, tangible history of utmost importance to the events during the War of the Ring.

Lastly, although there is such a wealth of information to delve into, one is always left wanting more. There is so much mystery and wonder to his world. You always want to know what is around the next corner, or what your favorite character would have done during a certain time period.

I simply love Tolkien's work above all other written works, and he has inspired me to try writing my own story.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:26 AM   #50
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

its my refuge from this mad world - its the place i would like to be - its the people i would like to be with.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote