Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-26-2003, 09:38 AM   #1
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

The Eowyn Thread

Last year, I read a whole bunch of "hand-wringing" posts about how Jackson was soon going to be trashing Eowyn's character in TTT. Well, now that TTT is out, I think it's clear that Eowyn's portrayal was nothing short of brilliant.

Just like the books, Jackson was able to communicate Eowyn's growing attraction to Aragorn without turning it into the "love triangle" garbage that some of you fangirls and fanboys were complaining about last fall.

Miranda Otto, the actress who played Eowyn, was wonderful too. Next to Gollum, she probably had the most memorable moments in the film.

I'd be really interested to see if any of you who had concerns or doubts about Eowyn's portrayal last fall would now agree that -- at least in this area -- Peter Jackson nailed it.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:26 AM   #2
Millane
The Dude

i dunno that damn sword swinging... she was supposed to be a good fighter samwise had the moves and he was just a normal hobbit gardener...
i know i will get my head litterally hacked off into bite sized peices but if Eowyn does really fight like that i would prefer to see Arwen slay that WitchKing... she holds a sword with style

come to think of it she anoyred me another time aswell.. she patted Gimli like he was a pet or somethng

apart from that she was excellent and might i be so bold a tad attractive
Old 01-26-2003, 10:35 AM   #3
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I just have to say that Miranda Otto as Eowyn was brilliant. I can say nothing bad about her work. She looks cold and lonely sometimes and then, when she smiles you see her total beauty.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:55 AM   #4
SamwiseGamgee
Sapling

Strider

I could not agree more. I was very skeptical about how Peter Jackson was going to portray Eowyn (i.e. if he was going to make up some ridiculous love story). However, after seeing the movie a few times, I feel that he did an excellent job. I feel that taking the "I fear nothing" type quote that was in Return of the King and putting it in Two Towers was a really good move on Jackson's part, as it helps the audience get a better sense of her character, whose bravery, as many of us who've read the books now, plays a critical role in Return of the King.
SamwiseGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:24 AM   #5
Millane
The Dude

Welcome Samwise...
i couldnt agree with you more except that she should have a bit of swordskill to go with that Bravery...
btw i know this was in an old thread somewhere but how was PJ gunna get Merry to stab the Witch king without his elvish knife??
Old 01-26-2003, 01:17 PM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
but how was PJ gunna get Merry to stab the Witch king without his elvish knife??
Well, upon them meeting back up with Aragorn, Legolas & Gimli, I would suspect that in RotK when that happens, they will give him back his sword. If you remember, in FotR they were dropped when the Uruk's picked them up....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 01:49 PM   #7
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Why do I have the distinct feeling you would have said the same thing if he'd made her a scullion maid, and Grima's sex toy?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 03:07 PM   #8
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel

I thought that Miranda Otto did a teriffic job playing Eowyn! I agree, it was a good idea to put the "I fear nothing" quote in the moviw!
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 03:24 PM   #9
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I'm looking forward to seeing how PJ is going to introduce the fact, that no man could ever kill the witch-king.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:41 PM   #10
Gwaimir Windgem

That said, I also think that she was pretty well portrayed. But I didn't really expect her to be poorly portrayed, so then my opinion isn't what you're looking for.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-26-2003, 04:15 PM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Why do I have the distinct feeling you would have said the same thing if he'd made her a scullion maid, and Grima's sex toy?
LOL! Good one.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:32 PM   #12
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

I liked how Eowyn was potrayed. She is now one of my favorite characters. My friend didn't like her in the books, but after seeing her in the movie she decided she liked her after all. So if that shows anything... I also really really loved her dress! I want it!
Old 01-26-2003, 05:05 PM   #13
straight_face
Enting

Gollum Eowyn quotes

When I was reading the Return of the King for a third time (I think), I came upon a very familiar topic between Eowyn and Aragorn. Check this out:
'Shall I always be chosen?' she said bitterly. 'Shall I always be left behind when the Riders deart, to mind the house while they win renown, and find food and beds when they return?'
'A time may come,' said he, 'when none will return. Then there will be no need of valour without renown, for none shall remember the deeds that are done in the last defence of your homes. Yet the deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised.'
And she anwered: 'All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you may leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a swerving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.'
'What do you fear, lady?' he asked.
'A cage,' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'

Did you catch those last lines? Keeping in mind that this was in the Return of the King also, after the battle at Helm's Deep and before the Paths of the Dead. I understand Peter Jackson's way of moving lines to other people and switching them around often, but this caught my eye.
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:31 PM   #14
azalea
Long lost mooter

I thought Eowyn was portrayed very well. However, I do think when the people of Rohan were going to Helm's Deep that her "Ice Maiden-ness" slipped too much. She was smiling and laughing, etc., and I had always pictured her as staying with the ice maiden thing until Faramir warmed her heart. That being said, the change didn't really bother me, it was just something I noticed. I think it was done to better show her attraction to Aragorn, but I think it could have been more subtle -- a flash of the eyes, a look, etc.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:38 PM   #15
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
I'm looking forward to seeing how PJ is going to introduce the fact, that no man could ever kill the witch-king.
Yeah, Éowyn challenging the Witch-King will be one of the highlights of RotK. It is one of my favourite parts in the whole trilogy of LotR. I'm looking forward to see Merry help Éowyn too.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:47 PM   #16
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Strider

Yeah Miranda Otto did a great job of playing Eowyn

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:05 AM   #17
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
I think it was done to better show her attraction to Aragorn, but I think it could have been more subtle -- a flash of the eyes, a look, etc.
You have to think of all the dumb movie goers around the world. They would not understand subtile hints. Like they would not, if Arwen had that small part in the movie, that she had in the book.
I mean, you have to read carefull and between the lines to realize in the first two books, that Aragorn and Arwen are together.
That's nothing for stupid people.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:03 AM   #18
Gwaimir Windgem

Hey now, don't be rude to moviegoers! A bunch of my friends are moviegoers!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-27-2003, 01:08 PM   #19
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Yeah, this BB guy just digs a trench, settles in, spouts some unsupportable opinion, and defends it with insults. I think he does more harm to PJ's reputation than good with his intractable posturing.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:11 PM   #20
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Also, this should not be title "The Eowyn Thread" because there are many threads concerning Eowyn. This is a thread that wants to entitled "Argue with Black Breathalizer some more, this time dragging Miranda Otto into the mess". bah!

We have many more worthy Eowyn threads and none of them deserves the specific article.