Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-18-2004, 09:50 AM   #1
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Another possible down point to the rest-of-your-life-in-prison idea - Do you guys think that people will abuse this? IOW, turn it into a "well, life in prison may stink, but at least I'll have 3 square meals a day and a roof over my head, and I won't have to work!" Seriously, I know paramedics and cops who have "regulars" - they call 911 and use ambulances as taxi cabs to get to the other side of town because the bar they want to go to is near the hospital, and things like that. And the idea of having prisons cover an area the size of Delaware, or whatever state it is - wow......

Knotty problem .... [/B]
this probably would happen to an extent... though i think it's a worthwhile tradeoff for protecting the general populace

there's also the possibility of finding better alternatives for non-violent criminals... at-home detention for instance
Old 02-18-2004, 01:50 PM   #2
Ruinel
Banned

The problem is that smaller states will have to send their prisoners someplace. States like Texas accept prisoners from out of state (at a price). Not that the general public wants this, mind you. It's just another way to make money off another state. Sort of like, taking in someone's trash.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:56 PM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Hey, that's better than my rep of endorsing baby killing!
yeah not nearly as bad as that I dont think. In fact it could kinda work out pretty well now that I think about it...

"...so sweety you see it actually is better for your well being if you um... I mean you dont want to be sacrificed right...."

*running from the parents*

Quote:
Another possible down point to the rest-of-your-life-in-prison idea - Do you guys think that people will abuse this? IOW, turn it into a "well, life in prison may stink, but at least I'll have 3 square meals a day and a roof over my head, and I won't have to work!"
I dont see how it would be any different then it is now. I mean are you saying these same people will turn their noses up to only 40 years in jail but the prospect of guaranteed life will send them running to buy guns to murder people so they can live happily in a cell with no future for the rest of their lives? Maybe but it seems dubious.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
...I dont see how it would be any different then it is now. I mean are you saying these same people will turn their noses up to only 40 years in jail but the prospect of guaranteed life will send them running to buy guns to murder people so they can live happily in a cell with no future for the rest of their lives? Maybe but it seems dubious.
I happen to agree that no one is going to send themselves to prison to get 3 meals and a cot for 40 years. However, I do not think that 40 years in jail is enough for some of these killers, and the things they did to their victims. When I mean 'life', I do mean 'life'... no parole, no time to serve. I mean you are in and there will never ever be an out. Period.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:39 PM   #5
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

What do you guys think about Tookie Williams getting the death axe next week? Can people redeem themselves after commiting a crime of murder? Do you believe in an eye for an eye, or do you think it leaves everyone blind? I'm curious to see what others here think about this. I myself am a little torn. I don't believe in the death penalty, but there ARE certain extremely unbelieveably loathesome criminals from time to time of whom it can easily be said, "let them taste death" or whatever. But what about redemption? And how does killing a killer right things, or help society; is it ethical? And if so, why, and if NOT, why?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:50 PM   #6
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Here you guys; here's a cool article from the L.A. Weekly I read yesterday, which got me thinking. It'll give you all some idea of what I was talking about mentioning Tookie as an example of the death penalty thing.

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/06/02/news-krikorian.php

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
What do you guys think about Tookie Williams getting the death axe next week? Can people redeem themselves after commiting a crime of murder? Do you believe in an eye for an eye, or do you think it leaves everyone blind? I'm curious to see what others here think about this. I myself am a little torn. I don't believe in the death penalty, but there ARE certain extremely unbelieveably loathesome criminals from time to time of whom it can easily be said, "let them taste death" or whatever. But what about redemption? And how does killing a killer right things, or help society; is it ethical? And if so, why, and if NOT, why?
Although Im not at all a fan of the death penalty (I would assume make it life in prison) I dont see a reason to over turn his sentence just because hes a changed man. What he did he already did (although he is now denying he did it which is something else entirely...) and it cant be reversed. Its fairly irrelevant if hes become a great guy or found god or something.

What really should have happen (for the sake of true justice) is he should have wound up dead when he was still gang banging and doing illegal stuff so there wouldnt have had to be all this money spent and we wouldnt be in the dilemma we are in now where we are killing a "changed man" years after the fact.

That being said, Im of the opinion that the death penalty is generally a bad idea because it kills innocent people and because it kills certain segments of people unfairly. Life in prison is worse anyway if you ask me.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #8
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yep. Everyone facing death row, finds God, changes their personality, sings Kumby-yah. You do the crime, you do the time. You kill somebody or some people, you gotta go; bub-bye .
Old 12-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Life in prison is worse anyway if you ask me.
that's the key... somehow we have a complete inability to actually enforce "life in prison without the possibility of parole" on an individual

the death penalty is wrong because it can not be reversed in the case of a mistake... but, many more innocent people die or are subject to terrible tragedies due to the release of "reformed" criminals into society than the handful of innocents that are executed

until we develop the strength it takes as a society to properly deal with those who commit crimes, the "easy way out" (the death penalty) is preferrable to the other "easy way out" (early release from crowded prisons)
Old 12-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #10
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I don’t see how you can logically justify killing innocents so that you don’t risk the POSSIBILITY of allowing innocents to be killed. That doesn’t make sense to me. And Im fairly dubious as to how many prisoners who would otherwise be on death row would wind up out of prison killing all these innocent people. I mean weve only put to death 1000 people since like 1978 as it is. The numbers aren’t really there.