Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2001, 02:24 PM   #1
Silva
Hobbit

Gandalf Elves look like bugs and Gandalf isnt getting enough!

Got a free magazine all about the film with my sunday paper, much entertainment from reading the interviews with some of the actors and actresses, lol.

If I may quote :

Firstly from an interview with Liv Tyler, Arwen, "Elves are cute things, They look really strange almost like bugs. Like grasshoppers or something."
Ermmmm????!!!!???? Errrrrrr, lol I think or maybe *sobs*
Does that sound anything like elves to anyone??? I'd never really though of elves as insects, hmmmm guess I'd better not sqaush any ants then, could be an elf in disguise

Has this woman actually read the books?
And why do the elves all have pointy ears, are they really vulcans? Did Tolkien ever mention the shape of elf ears? I've read the books five times in all but my memory is appaling and I'm no expert on LoTR trivia.
I know Mr Spock is really an Elf, after all he did perform that rather appaling song about hobbits back in the seventies, extremely hillarious and well worth watching. lol

Secondly From an interview with Ian McKellen.
"for my taste I would have preferred more women in the story and a bit more sex" *sigh* Anyone want Gandalf to have a romance??? Can you imagine it?
He also says "This is an adaption, not a copy. If you're really nervous about it dont see the film"
Anyone actually going to not go?

Also is the same mag, "the role of women has been enhanced in the film because modern audiences demand romance, a love interest." We do??!!!
Gee thanks for telling me thats what I demand, and there I was thinking I just wanted a film that told the story the way the book tells it. Unless I'm an old fashioned audience. *sighs deeply*
Honestkly theres beeen lots of wonderfull films without romance or strong female roles, so why do they have to do this to tolkien?