Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2004, 05:10 PM   #141
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
A Swedish man was standing on his balcony looking out over the sea.

On the balcony of the room next door stood another man. He turned and said:

"Min kone, hon ryger" (My wife is smoking)

The Swedish man thought for a while before answering:

"Det var som tusan. Min är bara lite svett" (By Jove, mine is just a bit sweaty)
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 05:18 AM   #142
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I have never smoked. At least theoretically. But when I'm out, or with friends that smoke, it means that I do smoke - I get a lot of smoke in my lungs! I really hate it.

Many of my friends started smoking when they were like 10, 11 years. Now they're having a hard time trying to get used to not smoking.

They may smoke, but not anywhere near people that don't want to. That's what I think.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:40 AM   #143
Millane
The Dude

I dont think that people only start to smoke because they want to look cool a lot of rats do but there are also different people... i think it's like alcohol or even coffee for me, its nice to sit outside on a nice evening with a smoke a cuppa and a good book... i barely ever smoke, i smoke mainly at a friends house when we're having a game outside (the game of the moment - A Game of Thrones - goes for like 5 hours so when your sitting outside at 2 in the morning a smoke is nice)...
a few of my friends started to smoke so they could take bongs easier, i guess thats another reason altogether
Cherry pipe tobacco is definately the best, i usually just roll it instead of using a pipe, Dunhill is the best cig though (also have the classiest packet)
Old 01-31-2004, 09:57 AM   #144
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I personally hate smoking.
I have never tried so (yes, though all the peer pressure in our society) and I don't think I ever will.

Both my parents smoke and I am their nightmare. Always telling them, that they should quit and that they are going to die soon.

I would love the laws to get stricter, especially here in Austria where you can practically smoke everywhere. And cigarettes are still not very expensive.
For me it is just disturbing when people smoke everywhere, you can't go anywhere without your clothes smelling bad.
And then the smokers tell me that I am intolerant. Ridiculous.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:10 AM   #145
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith

I would love the laws to get stricter, especially here in Austria where you can practically smoke everywhere. And cigarettes are still not very expensive.
For me it is just disturbing when people smoke everywhere, you can't go anywhere without your clothes smelling bad.
And then the smokers tell me that I am intolerant. Ridiculous.
I've never smoked either, and fortunately, none of my friends do either. (=> No peer pressure).

In AustrALIA () you can't smoke in indoor public areas. This is fantastic because personally, I enjoy tasting the food in a restaurant, rather than the smoke drifting from the person behind me's cigarette.

You are not intolerant. If it's their choice to smoke, then fine, but since it's not yours, you should'nt be subject to passive smoking.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 10:25 AM   #146
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
I've never smoked either, and fortunately, none of my friends do either. (=> No peer pressure).

In AustrALIA () you can't smoke in indoor public areas. This is fantastic because personally, I enjoy tasting the food in a restaurant, rather than the smoke drifting from the person behind me's cigarette.

You are not intolerant. If it's their choice to smoke, then fine, but since it's not yours, you should'nt be subject to passive smoking.
Hmm, the thing is, most of my friends didn't smoke neither. But it's just so common here to smoke.
Additional to the always smokers here, there are also a lot of occasion smokers, who just smoke now and then or at parties etc. I don't get that.

Yah, that's what I thought too. If they want to smoke, they should go outside. But they rather say: You go if you don't like it.
Hey, what's that. If they are smoking and disturbing the fresh air and everything, why don't they go outside?
Old 01-31-2004, 11:08 AM   #147
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Hmm, the thing is, most of my friends didn't smoke neither. But it's just so common here to smoke.
Additional to the always smokers here, there are also a lot of occasion smokers, who just smoke now and then or at parties etc. I don't get that.

Yah, that's what I thought too. If they want to smoke, they should go outside. But they rather say: You go if you don't like it.
Hey, what's that. If they are smoking and disturbing the fresh air and everything, why don't they go outside?
because i don't like pressurising people to smoke, i always smoke outside... unless im at a party, but them im always to drunk to realise what im doing... i dont think it's fair on non-smokers. theres places round here that have banned it totally (thank god its only inside) as well as banning swearing... which is okay cos there might be kids about, but sometimes it slips out...
as long as they dont make smoking illegal in pubs or outside then im happy
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 02:17 PM   #148
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

I usually say if you haven't begun smoking when you're thirteen there's no good reason to start when you're 38.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:19 AM   #149
Millane
The Dude

i dont think its fair go to have a whinge at most smokers, they are usually understanding in the way that they know if people choose not to smoke, then they dont wont your second hand smoke... as i said i only smoke either outside by myself, or if i do at a friends house always outside and with people who are smoking... i know people get very addicted butfor me constant smoking is just excessive, it's just every now and then, i wouldnt spend more than $100 a year on tobacco (which is pretty good considering nice tobacco sets you back say $30)
Old 02-01-2004, 05:47 AM   #150
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
i dont think its fair go to have a whinge at most smokers, they are usually understanding in the way that they know if people choose not to smoke, then they dont wont your second hand smoke... as i said i only smoke either outside by myself, or if i do at a friends house always outside and with people who are smoking... i know people get very addicted butfor me constant smoking is just excessive, it's just every now and then, i wouldnt spend more than $100 a year on tobacco (which is pretty good considering nice tobacco sets you back say $30)
There are considerate smokers, you being one of them. I just meant I don't smoke, and I'm not going to start either.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:17 AM   #151
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Basically all I am saying is that I don't mind people smoking (it's their own health) as long as I don't have to freeze (because of open windows) or to smell bad and get sick (I tend to cough from smoke).
Old 02-02-2004, 01:04 AM   #152
Mrs Maggot
Enting

Quote:
as long as they dont make smoking illegal in pubs or outside then im happy
That's exactly what the government is trying to do in Australia. They're trying to push us all outside!!!
Mrs Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:21 AM   #153
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

You have to think about the people working in the pubs. I'm sure most of them don't want to be inhaling smoke while they're working. I'm glad they have made pubs/restaurants smoke-free. I don't want to inhale smoke; I have asthma and it makes me cough. People can smoke if they want to. It's their choice. Just not near me, please.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:13 AM   #154
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Smoking is definitely horrible.

Good Job NY for banning smoking in restaurants.

Do smokers realize that their smoking effects others?

I am always bothered by it and it is such an icky smell.

In many restaurants that have smoking, the non-smoking section is RIGHT NEXT TO the smoking or in an instance where you can clearly smell the cigarette smoke in the non-smoking secition.

do they really think that just because it is a non-smoking section that you can't smell the smoke wafting over from the other side of the room???

It really sucks that in NJ bars allow smoking. So you get smoke coming from the smoking section AND the bar.

I love non-smoking restaarants.

I leave many restaurants a year because they are too smokey - most have non-smoking sections too.

The bathrooms at my school are usually filled with cigarette smoke - how is that fair to me?

Passing smokers outside is the best way possible to come in contact with smokers - but you still smell it. I have to pass by a group of smokers every day after school - its still horrible.

Light up and hurt yourself at home please.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:06 AM   #155
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Smoking is definitely horrible.

Good Job NY for banning smoking in restaurants.
They eliminated that I think. Restaurants and bars were losing too much business - people were coming over to NJ.
Quote:

In many restaurants that have smoking, the non-smoking section is RIGHT NEXT TO the smoking or in an instance where you can clearly smell the cigarette smoke in the non-smoking secition.

do they really think that just because it is a non-smoking section that you can't smell the smoke wafting over from the other side of the room???

It really sucks that in NJ bars allow smoking. So you get smoke coming from the smoking section AND the bar.
Maybe it would be better - like I said in the beginning of this thread to require stronger ventalation systems inorder for restaurants to have smoking sections.
Quote:

I love non-smoking restaarants.

I leave many restaurants a year because they are too smokey - most have non-smoking sections too.
And that is your choice. I see nothing wrong with allowing smoking in a restaurant - as long as it isn't right next to me. I can hardly breath around smoke. As for bars - that goes with the territory.
Quote:

The bathrooms at my school are usually filled with cigarette smoke - how is that fair to me?
It's not - but it's also against school rules. So what do you suggest?
Quote:

Passing smokers outside is the best way possible to come in contact with smokers - but you still smell it. I have to pass by a group of smokers every day after school - its still horrible.
i do hate how smokers seem to congregate outside the doors of stores. But hey - at least you are in one of the states with the least number of smokers. You should try Indiana. You can't go anywhere without seeing a bunch of people smoking.

New Jersey hardly as any smokers compared to most places.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:23 AM   #156
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

AAAAARRGGGGG (dying for a fag)

I totally understand why people want smoke-free bars etc. Non-smokers shouldn't have to put up with it (though I think that the actual harm of passive smoking is overstated).

However, you have to realise that, for some smokers, the urge is just as strong as, say, hunger or thirst. So, if you don't provide somewhere for them to do it, they will just break the rules. You may as well ask them to stop breathing.

I used to work in a hospital which was completely non-smoking apart from a staff smoking room (which was totally disgusting, by the way). Then they got rid of that, so the smokers moved outside. Of course, people complained about running the gauntlet of fumes to get into the building, so they came over all fascist and banned it completely on the site. Surprise, surprise, people started smoking in the basement at the bottom of the stairwells, with the result that the whole hospital stinks of smoke.

As someone who's trying to give up, it doesn't really bother me seeing other people smoke. What's difficult is how easy it is to buy fags: it just takes ten seconds of madness and you've got yourself ten Benson, sparked up one of those bad boys and ruined weeks of willpower. Packs of ten are marketed specifically with the "giving up smoking" (not to mention "kiddies' dinner money") segment in mind
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:25 AM   #157
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Quote:
Yeah, so are the bathrooms in my school, and I'm only a little middle-schooler. Thing is, no, it's not fair. But really, since when has school been fair? Our health teacher smokes! Until we get rid of the mixed messages, I don't think we're going to get any better.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:28 AM   #158
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
You have to think about the people working in the pubs. I'm sure most of them don't want to be inhaling smoke while they're working. I'm glad they have made pubs/restaurants smoke-free. I don't want to inhale smoke; I have asthma and it makes me cough. People can smoke if they want to. It's their choice. Just not near me, please.
Agreed! If you want to smoke, then by all means do so, but don't force us to inhale those disgusting fumes. Good on you Millane, I'm not saying you're an inconsiderate smoker at all, on the contrary.

Welcome to Entmoot Mrs Maggot. Nice to see another Aussie posting in General Messages.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:56 AM   #159
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Oh, how I love it.
In summer most of the smokers go outside and smoke at the place meant for smokers. But in winter only the fair smokers and the ones not freezing are outside.
Most of the intolerant girl just smoke in the bathrooms. Really nice. We have a cold, cold bathroom filled with smoke.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:08 AM   #160
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

The most inconsiderate smokers are those who smoke in the car, or at the dinner table while I'm still eating, or in front of my children.

Oh btw, guys who smoke generally turn me off.