Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #741
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Don't party TOO hard!!! Hah... what am I saying? Have fun!!!
Old 05-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #742
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Thanks! We had a great time. Oh, the things we did today. Among other things we almost got mr soon-to-be-married to audition for our equivalent of American Idol

And in the evening, I went out with some other friends to see G.B. Shaw's Pygmalion in the theatre. Busy day today
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #743
Mari
Elf Lady

I had a party for the same reason last night. It wasn't as fun as 5 of us had wanted it to be, but we had a good time anyway
Incredible how one persons group of friends can have such totally opposite people in it.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #744
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Funny how we're complex and multi-faceted creatures that way.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #745
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Cutting out sodas will do wonders, more than taking less sugar with your tea could ever do
Hear, hear! Another thing soda/caffiene does to your body that you may not even realize is that it messes with your digestive system. I was having issues with my gall bladder not functioning correctly a year or so ago, and I accidentally decided to quit soda and nearly all the pain issues stopped. It still hurt the time I ate a Big Mac, but that was only once.

Then, after having been off soda for more than a year, I decided to drink the tiniest bit of Dr. Pepper with some pizza and I thought I was having a heart attack! When you're not used to the stuff, caffeine really is a drug.

Due to my personal experiences, I feel inclined to share the word of the evils of soda/caffeine, despite the good-tasting.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 05-09-2010, 03:34 AM   #746
Jonathan

Woah, slow down a bit! I never said anything about cutting back on caffeine! The soda and sugar, I can be without. But caffeine's my drug of choice Sure it affects your digestive system but it does have quite a few healthy effects too.

But as you say, fat food + soda (i.e. lots of sugar) is generally a bad idea, I guess especially if one has gall problems.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #747
katya
Elven Maiden

I don't drink soda or put anything in my tea but I still managed to gain a bunch of weight recently. I suppose that's because I've been a bit under the weather and haven't been exercising. Just a cold, but one that won't go away. I just never got in the habit of putting anything in my tea, though. I like it plain. I drink my coffee black too, but I used to have to put tons of sugar and creamer in it. Now I actually prefer it black.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #748
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Had a great Mother's Day dinner the other night with my family, and I got my mom some beautiful yellow roses (her favorite kind) and a card today which she seemed to really appreciate .
Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #749
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I managed to survive the dropping (spent Saturday evening from 19h to 3h in the morning walking through a forest) and it was great fun!

I managed to get out of bed on Sunday right in time for a double birthday party and it was great fun!

I managed to survive the elections and get the results up in time and it was great fun!

We managed a small personal victory which is also great fun!

Now, to deal with the rest...
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #750
Jonathan

Congrats, especially on the small personal victory
Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #751
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Congratulations Earniel! Time for a well deserved rest and some tea?

I love my new diet. O_o I didn't think that I would, but I actually really enjoy figuring out what I'm eating. It's not a super exacting thing... it's basically something like, "4 oz of meat = one serving of protein, you eat 2-3 servings of protein a day, one apple is a serving of fruit, you eat 2-3 servings a day, etc." so I'm not counting calories or whatever. But it is fun to figure out stuff like, "okay I'm going to make a salad, if I use this many cups of vegetables, throw in an apple, add some chopped nuts, and grill a chicken breast it will equal x amount of the protein/fruit/vegetable etc."

I also love it because I can stuff myself silly on fruits/veggies without giving up the delicious stuff like breakfast cereals ^_^.

Plus it gives you one day out of the week when you can eat as much of whatever you want as you want . I didn't go crazy or anything, but it's nice to know you're eating healthily the rest of the week and then have a day when you can eat pizza/hamburgers/hotdogs/ice cream/etc. as much as you want .

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the no cheese rule. >.> I'm bending that one a little... I figure so long as I'm not eating it every day, or even every other day, I should be fine. Other than that I'm sticking strictly to the diet .
Old 05-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #752
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
The only thing I'm not crazy about is the no cheese rule. >.> I'm bending that one a little... I figure so long as I'm not eating it every day, or even every other day, I should be fine. Other than that I'm sticking strictly to the diet .
Why, cheese is healthy, innit? Lotsa calcium and stuff and not necessarily that fat.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #753
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Congrats, especially on the small personal victory
It's probably one that will not last long, but at this point we take what we can get.

Quote:
Congratulations Earniel! Time for a well deserved rest and some tea?
It's always time for tea! But I did not get out of bed before noon today, so I consider my rest taken as well. It's fun when you don't have to go to work immediately after a filled weekend.

Quote:
I love my new diet. O_o I didn't think that I would, but I actually really enjoy figuring out what I'm eating.
That's the perfect way to do a new diet. I wish I could plan evening meals better, but life's just too chaotic for that. I'm glad I sort of managed to stick to at least one meatless day a week.

Quote:
Why, cheese is healthy, innit? Lotsa calcium and stuff and not necessarily that fat.
I believe it is often avoided in diets because of cholesterol.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #754
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
I KNOW, RITE?!?!!? >.< That's what I thought!!! I don't know why it would be off the list... I guess maybe the really high dairy count? Since once 'slice' is about 8 ounces of milk, and you're not supposed to have more than two/three dairy products a day?

Different diets just aim for different things I guess...

But that's why I'm not cutting it out entirely. I honestly don't think it can be that bad for my diet . I just wont eat it every day so, it's sort of a compromise .

Ah, Earniel and I posted at the same time. I had not thought of the cholesterol thing... I'll bet she's right .
Old 05-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #755
Jonathan

This was very unexpected.

The University of Münster just sent me an email, saying I'm the co-author of an article that has been submitted to some medical journal.

Apparently my lab assisting two years ago has now resulted in a manuscript that is up for peer-reviewing and probable publication in a journal on dermatology. I didn't see that coming

Furthermore, I see someone, most likely my supervisor, has totally rewritten my lab report! I thought it was good as it was
Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #756
katya
Elven Maiden

Is it just me or has Cloud gotten golder?

Meanwhile I am still working on trying to decide what I should do about the whole eating thing. And feeling lazy. I couldn't give up cheese but I have cut back significantly in recent months. I used to have cheese on almost everything. But I've been really into beer lately. No more than one or two a day, and only the highest quality that I can afford, but beer is supposed to be extra fattening. Hence the term "beer belly".
Old 05-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #757
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:

Ah, Earniel and I posted at the same time. I had not thought of the cholesterol thing... I'll bet she's right .
In other news, the earth continued to revolve around the sun. Geez Tessar, you are brilliant at stating the obvious facts of life.

Quote:
This was very unexpected.

The University of Münster just sent me an email, saying I'm the co-author of an article that has been submitted to some medical journal.

Apparently my lab assisting two years ago has now resulted in a manuscript that is up for peer-reviewing and probable publication in a journal on dermatology. I didn't see that coming

Furthermore, I see someone, most likely my supervisor, has totally rewritten my lab report! I thought it was good as it was
I saw this, and it was pretty freaking awesome news! Congratulations

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #758
Gwaimir Windgem

A series of seminars on Dante's Divine Comedy has just started in my area! Looks like it'll be 2-3 cantos per meeting, and two hours discussing them, led by an ancient German professor. Awesome.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #759
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Two weeks and four days until I'll officially be "Missus" instead of "Miss".

And finals are over this week, too. Just in time for me to get a pretty good sore throat. Yay!
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #760
Gwaimir Windgem

Is it exciting? I don't think I would be excited; I never start to get really excited about anything 24 hours (or, for REALLY big things, 48 hours) before; marriage might be big enough that it would hit me a week before, but probably not earlier.

Of course, it would probably be terrifying before that.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Closed Thread