Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #601
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
I disagree. On BJ's lights, I'm just as correct as he is. He cannot demur.
i completely agree... you are just as "right" as i am, but hopefully i can make you consider the other sides a bit more deeply... i know you do that for me
Old 10-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #602
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Ahh, BJ and the moral relativism of life. I keep trying to point out that if his position is consistently maintained, there is not recourse for the outvoted and outpowered to whine when the majority does to them as it will.
Exactly.

Quote:
On BJ's lights, I'm just as correct as he is. He cannot demur.
An obscure usage of the definition of demur.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #603
Gil-galad
Hobbit

I guess it's my obligation to vote Amsterdam-like now. Create opportunities for people to be irresponsible. I should start handing out syringes now, so that the druggies will be less likely to get HIV; money for poor people who can't afford their abortion bills and birth control prescriptions. Western civilization: The Perennial Amsterdam. Orgies on the side of the road, revolving doors at the abortion clinics and minute-long gay weddings. All right! I'm looking forward to it! I am now one of you. Anything goes. Uphoria is here. Drugs, orgies, abortions. Anything you want -- it's all free and welcome.

I'm sorry but I'd rather not live in a perpetual Amsterdam.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #604
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound
errrr, I think--Spock ) but perhaps sew on a lot of patches, many we share here at the moot, what we have fun discussing are the ones we don't share, eh?
Old 10-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #605
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock

Sorry, I'll speak slower

1. same jersey = we're all human
2. different patches = ideals, believes, constructs, dishwashers, etc.

ps...I was questioning your 'human' status

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
Old 10-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #606
Gil-galad
Hobbit

At least we have one thing over our animal brethren. We can kill our unwanted babies...they have to give birth to them before they abandon them.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #607
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Actually it is what is defined by law which in most cases is defined by the Church...what you choose has nothing to do with the meaning of the word.
marriage is not defined by the church in the country i live in... but i was talking about it in a broader, moral sense

some derive "value" from scripture, and by fashioning a society that conforms within what they think, and possibly even the majority think, is right... without this structure things become meaningless

some derive "value" from family, friends, society and tolerance of things that they do not necessaily agree with, but do not directly effect their own quality of life, or at least not greatly... meaning comes from each and every one of these things and is also independent of any shortcomings

that is a choice one can make, no matter what the law books say
Old 10-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #608
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
marriage is not defined by the church in the country i live in...
Where the heck do you live, Catholic Boston, Marriage is a device and definition of the Church from eons back (that's a long time ago for those living in rio lindo)
Old 10-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #609
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Where the heck do you live, Catholic Boston, Marriage is a device and definition of the Church from eons back (that's a long time ago for those living in rio lindo)
as i demonstrated earlier, marriage has existed outside the realm of the church since the founding of our county... don't make me repeat myself
Old 10-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #610
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
and btw... so is "witch hunt"
Old 10-07-2005, 02:03 PM   #611
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB
R*an has done a good job (more than should be needed) to show a tolerant endeavor in this discussion while being honest with the posters by being honest with R*an, per say…..which is the important lesson to learn and exercise for further engrossing ‘conversation’….IMHO
Thanks, EB I like how you put it - it's being honest with others to be honest yourself, or something like that. I do try to always tell the truth, even if it "hurts" my "side".

Quote:
He cannot demur
For some reason, I love the sound of that word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie
... don't make me repeat myself
LOL!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #612
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
as i demonstrated earlier, marriage has existed outside the realm of the church since the founding of our county.
this country was founded by people seeking religious freedom (mostly) and marriage was defined by their religious beliefs as man/woman.

Quote:
don't make me repeat myself
Repeating is your favorite retort but unfortunately it doesn't make it true.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:11 PM   #613
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Applies to Mooters as well.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:23 PM   #614
EarthBound

Quote:

Applies to Mooters as well.

**silence....occasional cricket....owl hoots....EB holds hands over mouth

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Old 10-07-2005, 02:27 PM   #615
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

lmaorotf
Old 10-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #616
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
I mean that from even an evolutionary perspective, homosexuality is unproductive.
actually... you may want to look through this thread before you declare that to be a fact since weve touched upon this a few times and possible reasons for homosexuality to exist in nature have been explored in some detail. You conception of biology and genetics is a little confused if you think any creature that doesnt engage in breeding practices has no purpose at all. Nature is inveriably way more complicated then that. Simply look at how other forms of life engage in reproduction to see that there are other rolls possible.

Quote:
It may not harm people physically, but it harms the value system that has ruled Western civilization for over 1,000 years.
How does it do this exactly? And why 1,000 years? Homosexuality was ok before then? And by the way why is it that western "civilization" is considered the ultimate measure of whats best and right in human history?

Quote:
But, as I said, if you believe humans are nothing but common animals, then this goes out the window. Our civilization is then undignified, should crumble and create an atmosphere of "every man for himself" henceforth. Anything goes. You don't want to be burdened with safe sex? Happen to slip up, "oh, well, just pay a small fee and forget about it." Don't want to consider the moral and biological implications that go along with homosexuality? "Oh, well, HIV is not so deadly anymore. And you had a good orgy, so it's all worth, eh?" Such a civilization is irresponsible. Anything goes. Trippy, ain't it?
My quite over the top arent you. Should this be filed in the "homosexuality will lead to the destruction of the universe" files with some of the other nonsensical diatribes?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 10-07-2005, 02:33 PM   #617
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
this country was founded by people seeking religious freedom (mostly) and marriage was defined by their religious beliefs as man/woman.
common law marriage was the norm in early america... marriage could be defined by their religious beliefs, but it did not have to be

Quote:
Repeating is your favorite retort but unfortunately it doesn't make it true.
just as ignoring history does not make something untrue
Old 10-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #618
EarthBound

Quote:
lmaorotf
eh....[re-arranges letters] farmtool

Happy to be here

Old 10-07-2005, 10:48 PM   #619
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Exactly.

An obscure usage of the definition of demur.
O, be still my heart, you noticed! Chalk up another victory for super-underhanded-educator-Man!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 10-07-2005, 10:53 PM   #620
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Would you think less of LOTR if Aragorn wedded Elrond instead? Or if Pippin and Merry got hitched? Oh, but, marriage has no meaning to liberals, though, does it? It's all a bunch of hogwash. Just sign a form and be done with it. There's nothing holy about anything. Anything goes.
Welcome to the Moot Gil-galad, I love your avatar! Celtic knots are awesome.

To answer the questions in your post:

Would you think less of LOTR if Aragorn wedded Elrond instead? Or if Pippin and Merry got hitched?
No, I wouldn't. It would be Tolkien!

Oh, but, marriage has no meaning to liberals, though, does it? It's all a bunch of hogwash.
As a liberal, I can safely say this is hogwash. I hope to get married myself (in the reasonably distant future), and it will be a wonderful, life-long commitment.

So, how do your two statements knit together?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Closed Thread