Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2002, 02:38 PM   #41
kazren
Sapling

Arwen Undomiel

Well, my favorite character was Legolas (alas he didn't have more dialogue with Gimli - loved their arugments). And Gandalf played himself, as we all know, so I had to love him. Surprisingly, Elijah was so moving especially when with Sean, he's moved up on my list to number 3. And even more surprisingly, Viggo did a great Aragorn! If Boromir were more likeable, I'm sure he'd be in the top three, since Sean did such a great job. It seems to me, with the subtle threads going on in his dialogue with Aragorn, that the writers did a very good thing by adding their scenes together.

Don't forget, Aragorn's name as he grew up was Este=Hope. And Boromir has all but given up hope. Next time you watch the movie, watch Aragorn's face when they're talking in Lothlorien.
kazren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 06:37 PM   #42
Marcus
Hobbit

Pippin and then gandalf by far
pippin was hilarious and gandalf is all you could ask for in a wizard
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 12:39 AM   #43
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the moot, Marcus and Kazren.

I thought Bilbo was acted very well too. Ian Holm is a fine actor as well.

My vote still goes with Sean Bean as Boromir, followed closely by Ian McKellam as Gandalf, then Christopher Lee as Saruman, then Ian Holm as Bilbo, then Hugo Weaving as Elrond.

Christopher Lee did such a masterful job as Saruman. I loved the "duel of spells" between he on Orthanc and Gandalf on Caradhras.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 05:50 AM   #44
Atisha
Sapling

hey, bropous!
You're sooo right about Boromir/Sean Bean!
I didn't expect his character being so well painted in the movie!
It was just outrageous to see this man of Gondor face his demons, almost broken by the burden he has to carry...a real tragic, shakespearian hero!
My compliments to Sean Bean for bringing this fascinating character to life!
BTW, I think good Mr. Bean has just recently been voted Best British actor (or somewhat like that...)for his appearance in FOTR! Congratiulations!

I also loved Gandalf and Saruman!
great characters, great actors; what more can you ask!
Old 01-14-2002, 10:32 AM   #45
Gimly
Enting

They all were good. But I really liked Legolas and Gimli- that Legolas loks exactly like he should be, I just kept thinking that from now on I'll imagine him as the one in the movie.

The men were good too, just loved the way Bean played Boromir's death - it was done very well.

Heh... a weird thing - Elrond (The Matix's bad guy) looked like he was a Jew with those hair "strings" on the sides. And believe me - I know how do these look.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:16 PM   #46
AragornKicks
Sapling

Defiently Pippin. He's just plain funny and the actor *wuzzhisname?* does a good job. Aragorn was (altohough portrayed quite wimpily.. )greatly acted by good ol Viggo.
AragornKicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 09:33 PM   #47
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

My favorite characters were (in no particular order) Legolas, Gandalf, Aragorn, and Pippin. Billy Boyd plays Pippin.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 12:55 AM   #48
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I think my favourite performances were Sean Bean and Sean Astin.
This was because I was most surprised (pleasantly ) about how they protrayed their characters.
I never like Boromir in the book. He was just not very likeable. I didn't understand him or why he was so...contrary. He seemed to disagree with everything. Somehow, Sean Bean made me like his character. I can see the nobility in Boromir that I didn't see in the book and I don't think all of it was because of the plot changes they wrote into the character. I think the performance had alot to do with it.
Sam was also better than I imagined he would be. I imagined Sam as a bumpkin type, and didn't think any more of him, but the actor made the character so sweet . Any scene with Sam in it just warms my heart.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 11:34 AM   #49
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I thought it interesting to find that sean Astin is the sone of PAtty Duke and John Astin......

Holy Hannah! Does that mean that Samwise Gamgee is actually PUGGSLEY?????????

LOL
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 08:29 PM   #50
Rachael
Sapling

Strider

Hey,
What's Up? My fave character has to be Legolas! He looks so funny in his elf suit but man can he fight! lol! I also liked Pippin and Merry! They really made me laugh! I also like Sam! He is a true friend to Frodo! Any one that jumps into a lake for a friend even when they can't swim is worth keeping around for a long time!

Love always,
Rachael
Rachael is offline   Reply With Quote