Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:18 AM   #441
Mari
Elf Lady

Oh Tess
Keep us posted please, 'kay?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #442
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Tessar, I'm sorry this is happening. But, technically, you're still giving him people food. It might not make any difference, but I might be experimenting with dog food, if that's what the vet suggested.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 11-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #443
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, one of those high quality ones that aren't loaded down with that human shite (wheat products, etc). Dogs don't need that.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #444
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I forgot to mention that we did try some of the fancy dog food first, but he threw that up too--hence going to the vet's second suggestion of some plain rice and boiled chicken.

BUT!!!!! Today, he actually seems a little bit recovered. He ate something this morning, and then didn't throw up for three hours, so at least he got some nutrients from it. Then he had some water, and apparently he hasn't thrown up since then... so we'll try giving him a little food again later this evening.

He seems... better. His breathing isn't quite as shallow/slow. It's a little bit closer to what it normally is. He's responding to us again, and he isn't just sprawled out totally limp on one side for an hour at a time--he's shifting position every once in a while, so he must feel good enough to be moving just a little.

I thought he was just totally done for, though . Wasn't responding, kept trying to vomit when he had nothing to puke, and he was just... breathing so shallowly and not very often.

He may recover from it, but I'm sure it's going to take a really long time for him to get back to normal... assuming this isn't just a final upswing before the end. I've seen that happen in some of my old pet fish/gerbils, so I guess it can happen for dogs, too. We're just keeping a close eye on him and being super careful.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #445
Full Metal Aragorn
Hobbit

Dogs are omnivors just like us. So long as you dont load their food down with oils and spices and other foreign things, they can have boiled rice and chicken and other basic foods just fine. Chicken is not just people food. And rice is also good for them. I know a few breeders that just feed their dog boiled unspiced meat and rice. It's great for them and doesnt have any of that added crap found in manufactured dog food.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:32 AM   #446
Midge
Faithful Gardener

[anguish]Argh!

Who knew that God endowed man with an endless reservoir of tears? I am finding out. So I got that car today, right? Well... that created quite the conflict between my boyfriend and my dad. My dad wanted quality in a car, regardless of cost, and my boyfriend wanted me not to spend a whole bunch of money on a car I probably wasn't going to use for but two years.

Not having a car, I had to ride around with other people to find cars to buy. The main people I went with were my boyfriend and my dad. So wherever I went, I had two differing opinions and two different sets of advice for what to do about car-purchasing.

I was with my dad today, and at the dealership, I made sure that he knew that I didn't want to spend more than 3k or 4k tops. But he didn't care. I don't really remember completely agreeing to buy the car. I remember saying, "I'm not COMMITTING to this car." But then I bought it. I'm not saying I'm not responsible. I signed the papers. But it was manipulative. Both Dad and my bf were being manipulative. Whoever I chose to follow his advice, the other would end up being angry. And I was right. My bf is angry. It's killing me, though, because I know I needed a car. I know that I couldn't go forever without getting a car. The car I got is a good one. I have a loan for about 5000 dollars that I'm planning to work hard to pay off as soon as I can.

But it's still tearing me up because all I can do is think how I want comfort. My main source of comfort is my boyfriend, but he's mad at me. I don't want comfort from my dad because it feels like he is the cause of all this.

And on top of all that, I cried so much that I deemed it worth it to wear a breathe right strip to bed tonight, and I'm wearing it now and I cried after I put it on, and apparently,

TEARS+BREATHE RIGHT STRIP= Stinging. Which isn't fun.

If I had time, I would nest a whole bunch of hurt and despair inside this anguish.[/anguish]
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 11-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #447
Mari
Elf Lady

*hugs* Having people upset with you is never nice.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #448
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Aw, that sucks Midge.

You could always try and recuperate some of the money by selling the car later, if you're not looking into keeping longer than two years.

But I'd be bugging my dad to help pay the loan he got me into.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #449
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

*HUGS*

I'm sorry, Midge. That sucks.

But at the least you can learn a valuable lesson: When it's your 'future', your money, and something that will be -yours- alone... trust yourself and DON'T do something for the sake of pleasing someone else (i.e. father OR boyfriend).
Old 11-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #450
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Well, no matter what, I was going to have to buy a car. If I bought a nice expensive one, my dad would be happy and my boyfriend would have been upset. If I even found a cheaper nice one, my dad wouldn't have trusted it and been unhappy, while my boyfriend would not be upset. So no matter what I did, I would have been pleasing one and angering the other. Not a nice position to be in.

The car I got is a nice one, and I am pleased with it. And I think we might end up selling a different car, if someday I get married. My bf has an '02 Kia Spectra which we don't expect to last much longer, and he probably will take his own advice and buy a cheap car.

Anyway.. Thanks for all the hugs. I was falling apart last night. And my dad offered to pay fifty dollars a month for the bill. Which leaves me paying about a hundred but I'll probably add to that and try to get it paid off much quicker.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 11-17-2008, 12:13 AM   #451
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I'm glad it worked out Midge. Your boyfriend and your dad should probably remember that it's your car in the end! Your the one who drives and maintains it. Whether you choose a 1992 Toyota Tercel or a 2003 Nissan Ultima is entirely your business!

It's nice to have other views on the subject but you didn't need all the grief over it.

I just baked two lemon meringue pies. Allow me to offer you a piece virtually.

Edited to add: I want to say that a Toyota Tercel is not a crappy car.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-17-2008, 01:08 AM   #452
Midge
Faithful Gardener

*accepts pie*

Thanks. Golly, yesterday was quite the fiasco. Blugh. At least I won't have to worry about catching a ride tomorrow.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:03 AM   #453
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Anyway.. Thanks for all the hugs. I was falling apart last night. And my dad offered to pay fifty dollars a month for the bill. Which leaves me paying about a hundred but I'll probably add to that and try to get it paid off much quicker.
That means he's paying the extra cost that he pressured you into having.
That's decent of him.
And if you can pay it even quicker, so much the better

*hugs*

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #454
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
*accepts pie*

Thanks. Golly, yesterday was quite the fiasco. Blugh. At least I won't have to worry about catching a ride tomorrow.
Both your boyfriend & your father need to grow up, and accept that you can make your own decisions.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #455
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I suppose. I like to have advice, but it's very difficult when two people you respect are giving you conflicting advice and you have to pick who you're going to listen to.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #456
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

foot update - it's been over a year since the injury, and the non-surgical option did not work - there's still pain every day in different areas, depending on how I limp that particular day, and I'm very unstable on the foot. I'm getting surgery. Foot surgery is a hard thing, and this one is especially hard - the tendon tear is in a really rare place and very deep - the actual tear is easy to repair; the problem is getting there. I'm going to have a very large incision on the inside edge of my foot, a very large incision on the outside edge of my foot, and a medium incision around my ankle. If you're going to tear a tendon, don't tear the peroneus longus tendon, and esp. don't tear it where I tore it. Dr. says about a year recovery time, but he's had good results with it, although of course he can't promise anything (the standard doctor line).

Also, my oldest son and my daughter are getting shoulder surgery. It's arthroscopic, though, and many kids get it on Friday and are back to school on Monday, although they'll be in a sling for at least 3 weeks with their arm held in place by a pillow thingy - they'll look like they're trying to shake hands (I think we'll hang Christmas ornaments from the arm! )

It's going to be quite a Christmas picture this year!!!!

I hate Arizona. Arizona is personally responsible for this horrible medical year.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-20-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #457
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I don't remember how you hurt your foot, Rian, but it sounds like a mess.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 11-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #458
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Probably no one else has ever hurt their foot this way: My middle son has caudal regression syndrome (also called pseudo-thalidomide) - basic top-level summary is that he looks like an above-the-leg amputee and needs a wheelchair for getting to far-away places (his mind is fine - he's a normal sister-teasing 13-yr-old boy ). He loved to make a flying leap from our SUV into his wheelchair every morning when we got to school. I would hold the wheelchair steady with my feet against the anti-tip wheels in the back as he jumped, so he wouldn't face-plant into the ground if it slipped. I've been doing this for years - and this one time, right when he jumped, my foot slipped as I looked away for a second - and the metal tube of the anti-tip wheels shot back with tremendous force and hit my big toe and blew the nail straight up. It also caused nerve, ligament and tendon damage, but no one noticed this because of the bloody toe looking so impressive. As the toe healed, we found and treated some of the damage, but the tendon tear wasn't found for almost a year.

We take walking for granted, don't we?!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #459
Mari
Elf Lady

You seem pretty relaxed under it?
Hope the surgery will solve all the problems!

There. Now I can go to bed. Thank heavens.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #460
Rían

I'm kinda scared, because one doctor said that the pain from the surgical scars might be as bad as the pain I have now, but the other doctor said he didn't think that would be the case. And at least the foot will be stable again after surgery.

G'nite, Mari! Sleep well

Closed Thread