Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 07:05 PM   #401
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

It's a tradition! .... i see the uni more as an old english style university (than a modern one) with medieval quaint and somewhat odd traditions ...

not throwing them AT new staff, but thrown BY all the new staff, ... i beleive you throw them at the head Chef! (he loves this tradition: it is the social highlight of the head-chef's year)

though in previous years, the odd pie certainly has been throw at the odd new professor, or two!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-13-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:15 PM   #402
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I liked your posts very much, Udu, Rian, WO and BB.

BB , Re: CS and Lotesse. I understand they are both busy right now or CS is waithing for Lotesse to post. So when they both appear and finish their spell, I plan to send Udu to them with a nice reprimand from the Chancellor.

Umm, I am not too happy about the pie-throwing idea. Just doesn't fit, IMHO. But let us wait and see....

Thanks, Udu, for including MM's in your post. Now you may come to chat with Aiwendis...
No 15 is as good as yours! And indeed, keep the rooms at the Uni. Then you will have better access to the wine cellar.

I have prepared Gor's bio and I am posting it in the INFO thread. Sad story of the Eight Nazgul.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #403
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Since when do university traditions in real life ever fit? It's the very non fittingness of it that makes it so very fitting. Just having a nazgul in disguise for a Chancellor isn't likely to stop crazy traditions from being perpetuated.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-13-2005, 07:57 PM   #404
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

yes, i did wonder how you'd react to the pie-throwing!

we could change it somewhat... i just like the idea of having some university traditions ... there's bound to be one for the annual recepetion ...

funny, i'd just finished reading the info thread, and on a hunch did a refresh .. and blimey, there's another!

Very high standard in the info thread all round. I must say it is working very well though i actually fear in terms of it being a short bio and info (for new rpg-ers or just rpg readers etc) capsule it's extremely rich in complex content....

now i am mightily impressed with the depth and quality of it, and do not for a second suggest it is altered: it is a great idea and resource ...

Val's opening is very good too, as are ALL the posts there:

i just wonder if a shorter summary could be added at the top both of the scene, brief history and concise bio's and the rest kept below for more detailed reading?

just a thought ....

But the info thread in it's entirety is an inspiration. My thanks to all who have posted there so far.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:09 PM   #405
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Oran
Since when do university traditions in real life ever fit? It's the very non fittingness of it that makes it so very fitting. Just having a nazgul in disguise for a Chancellor isn't likely to stop crazy traditions from being perpetuated.

absolutely! ... old uni traditions abound ... plus even though the new(ish) arch chancellor is beginning to make this seat of learning less a party-uni and more a serious school, it still has traditions and a reputation ... and no arch-chancellor in history, ever, can meddle too much with uni traditions over much and not get metaphorically lynched ...

regarding lotesse and Cs though, IF we are to be engaged with this reception in real life for any length of time (IF...) then they must be able to engage in the rpg equally like anyone else ... and IF that means they have to be able to come (if they wish to) to the uni, then i would hope all rpg-ers here would agree it is better that they can join in and interact equally and not thus be side-lined by the current situation where all the other players are commited to the reception ... which may or may not take a day or two, yet cannot join in!

what say you?

btw apologies if i haven't said what good writing there has been ... there's just been so much of it!

PS Val: i think estelmo and bumbledore may well get on very well!

very best all, BB
Old 10-13-2005, 08:22 PM   #406
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
well, get the house at fashionable N15, but why not retain your uni rooms too, for the odd night drinking and discussing eastern and western philosophy with old bumble? ... or other things
BB,

I think that is an outstandingly good idea. Udu will buy the house and retain his rooms at the university. There is nothing like a good night's drinking and philosophical discussion.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:31 PM   #407
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

"It's a tradition! .... i see the uni more as an old english style university (than a modern one) with medieval quaint and somewhat odd traditions ..." - BB

I see the university just the way you do, a medieval type university with lots of traditions.

"Umm, I am not too happy about the pie-throwing idea. Just doesn't fit, IMHO. But let us wait and see...." - Gordis

Gordis, I do not know about the pie-throwing scene either. To me, any kind of hurled object towards a Nazgul would get their defense mechanisms set off in alarm.

"Thanks, Udu, for including MM's in your post. Now you may come to chat with Aiwendis... No 15 is as good as yours! And indeed, keep the rooms at the Uni. Then you will have better access to the wine cellar." - Gordis

Udu sees all kinds of potential in the MM's - potential for meeting people, for learning information, as being unwitting spies.

Thank all of you for such wonderful posts. One of the best RPG’s in which I have ever participated, and there have been many.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:22 PM   #408
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
btw; if the reception, great though it is, is tio take some time real-time, then we should consider Lotesse and CS ... Viv and lilly ... it is not fair that they be effectively excluded if it does take any length of time ...
You're right - that was thoughtful, BB!

I just love Bumbledore!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-14-2005, 03:02 AM   #409
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I agree about Lotesse and CS. I think if we try and aim to get the reception finished by Monday or Tuesday then we should keep things as they are, but if it is going to take longer than that invite them along. Perhaps Lily could come as requested by the Chancellor and Viv follow not trusting him. What do you think?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-14-2005, 03:47 AM   #410
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well, i suppose it needn't be pie throwing, (though the new lecturers themselves do the throwing not the other way round... though the idea of the poor chef (who normally enjoys the tradition) having new professors khamul and udu trying to out do each other .... mmmm

maybe a yard of ale race .... ?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:42 AM   #411
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
BB,

I think that is an outstandingly good idea. Udu will buy the house and retain his rooms at the university. There is nothing like a good night's drinking and philosophical discussion.
But... that house has been in the same family for many generations! There's just no way they would part with...

Oh... how very interesting. Did you hear about the odd thing that happened to the family who always owned that one triangular house at the intersection of...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:48 AM   #412
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Now, Val, , you have admitted yourself that you haven't counted the nazgul at the Reception. That was the reason of ALL these inconsistencies.

So why are you so reluctant to correct that "mind chatter", "Mind-Reading from multiple directions", "Many Easterling Professors" and MOSTLY that cry for SILENCE?
Mainly that old four-letter word: T-I-M-E!

As I said though - that cry could have been Mr. O.

Say... do you think the Chancellor might rather force Prof Udu into teaching right away... beginning tomorrow? Not wishing to allow him several weeks to 'get acquainted' with this new place might actually be a GOOD idea, from the ML's POV. Plus, I can just imagine:

"Yes, this is Professor Maethor, our new instructor for the Seige Tactics course. Professor Borendil, whom he replaces, had an unfortunate accident..."

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 10-14-2005 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:32 AM   #413
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

My NEW IDEAS

BB, Gor, Udu, Lotesse, TD and others,

Thanks, BB, for thinking about Lotesse and me. But I don't think it is a good idea for the Chancellor to invite the not-so-bright Lilly to the reception.
1. He doesn't have an opportunity to reprimand her in front of the guests, even mentally- so why call her?
2.She can give them all away, making another blunder (she is famous for them).
3. Being that sexy she may hinder Aiwendis's wooing of the King.

I think Gordis's idea of the Morgul Lord sending Udu to Orrodel, once Khamul collapses in pain, is a great one.

THEN I have my own idea: why won't the Chancellor and Aiwendis come invisible to Orrodel at night, after the reception?

Think on it: If the Chancellor lets Khamul return to Orrodel alone, to deal with Lilly, poor Lilly will most likely be dead or without shape in the morning. And the Chancellor knows that Udu is there as well, and Penny and Viv.
So IF he doesn't want a MAJOR bloodbath in Orrodel and a fight between his subordinates, he HAS to come in person to settle things. Eh, Gor?

SO LET US HAVE A NICE NAZGUL NIGHT IN ORRODEL AFTER THE RECEPTION!!!

Seven of Nine present, wine flowing! Like happy ol' times!

Good idea? What do you think, Gor, Udu, Lotesse and TD? And the rest?

Now what to do if the reception takes too long in REAL-TIME?

As for Lilly, she is planning to remain home attended by Penny. If I feel like posting, I will simply use MM's, they are nice girls, easy to post about, or their Mom and dad. Gor said they were public.

Lotesse may do the same, I think, or introduce another mortal character for the Reception.
But IF Lotesse will grow restless, Viv may be compelled to come and see how their spell worked. As a burglar she can enter unobtrusively, without invitation.
That is up to Lotesse, when she is back.

I am touched by your concern, BB, thank you! I don't feel frustrated at all if there are no openings for Lilly. I can always help myself and use others. That's about all I wanted to say.

GREAT, GREAT posts, ALL!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #414
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

My, TD, Your posts are getting better and better! I am MOST impressed by your portrayal of Khamul. And I like how you portray the Chancellor as well.
The only suggestion: please refer to Udu as "Maethor" in the last line. You may be overheard.

CS, I agree with all you proposed. Great idea to have all nazgul together in Orrodel. We must talk at last!

Val, I understand about lack of TIME. Hope you will have more on the week-end.
I think the Chancellor will let Udu have some days to adjust. I believe, he may even confide in him, he is not like those girls, he may be trusted. His help, as well as Khamul's, may be needed.

Last edited by Gordis : 10-14-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #415
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Ciao, all! That was so sweet of you, BB, to think of me and Crazy Squirrel like that; it meant a lot to me, for real.

Crazy Squirrel
, I LOVE your ideas proposed! That's what I've been wanting to happen for AGES, to have everybody reunite for at least an evening, in Orrodel preferably, and without rancour or admonishments - just everybody reconnecting. It happens once in a while, us Nazgul having our "loving" friendly camaraderie moments - not TOO often, but it actually does happen. You guys remember that birthday party (which happens, technically, still in the future, but...) that birthday party on the banks of the river, in "Fellowship"? What a bangin' party THAT was!!

Viv, Pen & Lilly could just make a spiteful, tiny revenge-pain spell for Khamul, one that wouldn't be so big as to incur the wrath of our Chancellor (just maybe make him grin to himself about us girls, or whatever) something relatively harmless but briefly excruciatingly painful. If Khamul is such an infant that he cannot endure a flash of pain, which he DESERVES after causing Lilly pain, then - then he is not much of a Nazgul-man. And I am of the opinion that this is what our boss would think, too. Therefore, there's no need to dispatch disciplinarians to Orrodel as soon as Khamul gets whats coming to him. And Khamul can always just say something like, "Oh, I got a terrible cramp, must be from all the riding I did earlier," or something like that.

You guys, you know I may not be able to post MALHEUREUSEMENT!!!!! for yet another few days. It looks like I cannot move into my new pad right away, and my man & I have been living in a hotel for a while now. I only get an hour here and there to use a computer, either here at the library or over at the mondo-expensivo coffeehouse down the street, this is why. I am missing our RPG and all of you, like CRAZY, like CRAZY I miss you all.
I almost have to log off now, and would you believe I haven't even had the chance to start reading yesterday's and today's new story posts? So I'm gonna go over & start reading them right now.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-14-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:19 PM   #416
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Sorry about the housing woes, Lotesse I hope you're up and running soon!

I'm a little confused about the Elven ring people are referring to that belongs to Val. The ring of Barahir has green jewels in it, but from what I can tell, people are saying there's no stone in it. Or are you thinking of another Elven ring that Val has that doesn't have a stone in it?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #417
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Glad to hear from you, Lotesse. What a pity you still can't post !

I believe we can stick to CS's plan. Sure Khamul will not be too damaged, but he will be very angry, if I understand that guy at all. So, sending Udu to Orrodel at once is a clever move. First he will reprimand Lilly and K and then he will make certain that Khamul will not kill any of you outright when he comes back.

I believe you can start drinking already with Udu, waiting for Angry Khamul. But Khamul will not harm you, as he will be followed closely by the Chancellor. And as you remember, our Morgul Lord is MUCH nicer when drunk. And then we shall have a nazgul party!
Old 10-14-2005, 03:34 PM   #418
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

heh, Lotesse THAT was a party and a half ... was it Gor's birthday????

Rian: haven't checked but from memory that was said (ref the plain ring) either tongue in cheek or deliberately .. or .. blimey ... i'd have go read it again ... but you get the point ... there was some latitude there ( a word mispelt i fear) lassitude???? anyway .... either way, he probably does have an old elven ring somewhere with no stone, other than it being the ring of Barahir ...

So, what's Rian wearing by the way? is she dazzling this Night?

BTW: i, too will have little time between now and monday evening to be here: though i hope to be on a while late on, possibly even on a sunday for a change.

But what time i have i must devote at least the lion's share to my incomplete and somewhat ropey LOTR discussion thread post on the passing of the grey company ... then the Muster of rohan.

Could be some good Palantir / eye of sauron stuff in there soon(ish- ) ...
Old 10-14-2005, 04:19 PM   #419
Rían

Rian's wearing a blue-green dress to match her eyes, with a hair-net-thingy from Gondolin - it's in the braiding-hair post.

I think the ref. to the ring without a stone was meant to make the Nazgul think it might be THE ring, but Barahir's ring definitely has stones, but maybe Marty or whoever was mixing it up with another ring he has with no stone? But Barahir's ring is pretty famous.

I'm not sure how much I can be on this weekend, either- houseguests coming over in less than an hour!

Old 10-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #420
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Sorry about the housing woes, Lotesse I hope you're up and running soon!

I'm a little confused about the Elven ring people are referring to that belongs to Val. The ring of Barahir has green jewels in it, but from what I can tell, people are saying there's no stone in it. Or are you thinking of another Elven ring that Val has that doesn't have a stone in it?
Here is the first-hand description of the Ring of Barahir:

Quote:
His words were proud, and all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house
So there were small emeralds - eyes of the serpents, Rian is right. But it didn't look like a big stone on a band.
Some editing may be needed, but first we must know from Valandil that it was indeed that ring that Marty referred to.

I loved Khamul also making suggestions to Marty. Bravo, TD!
Closed Thread