Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2006, 03:48 PM   #21
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Believing in free will is correct, but only to a certain extent. Distinctions must be made. In freewill vs. Predestination, Catholic doctrine is closer to (true) Calvinism than to, say, Methodism. I'll see what I can dig up, and PM/email you.
thanks
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #22
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Believing in free will is correct, but only to a certain extent. Distinctions must be made. In freewill vs. Predestination, Catholic doctrine is closer to (true) Calvinism than to, say, ....
... i thought you were going to say 'Hobbes' then ...
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #23
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landroval
If Melkor was just an instrument in Eru's hand, cf Ainulindale, then how can your statement be true? Melkor as doing Eru's will is even more clearly stated in the BoLT versions.

the big problem that I have with Melkor is that he was created the greatest of the Ainur but he was not lord of them. That title and job belonged to Manwe. I think that is why he was just plain peeved!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #24
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
... i thought you were going to say 'Hobbes' then ...
Bah. Hobbes is too much of a pessimist.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #25
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien the Maia
the big problem that I have with Melkor is that he was created the greatest of the Ainur but he was not lord of them. That title and job belonged to Manwe.
I don't think his primary goal was supremacy over the Ainur, but over the Children and Arda - that is what led them to war.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #26
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Strider

Well the silmarillion did say he wanted to be the master of his peers. I think it said he wanted them to give him fealty, was the term used if I remember correctly.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #27
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I think the biggest problem is that Eru gave Melkor freewill, didn't give him any guidelines on how he wanted it to be used, then got angry when it was used in a way he did not appreciate.

Basically, in creating Melkor, Eru created a being that was too much like himself but was not willing to treat him as such.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #28
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Bah. Hobbes is too much of a pessimist.
really?

wot hobbes from calvin an hobbes?

..as opposed to the philosopher ...
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:37 AM   #29
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
I think the biggest problem is that Eru gave Melkor freewill, didn't give him any guidelines on how he wanted it to be used, then got angry when it was used in a way he did not appreciate.

Basically, in creating Melkor, Eru created a being that was too much like himself but was not willing to treat him as such.
Yes, I agree with you. Eru dousn't seem to favour people with freewill, like Melkor, Feanor or most of the Edain.

He gave them the option himself but grows angry when they use it.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:56 AM   #30
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Well the silmarillion did say he wanted to be the master of his peers. I think it said he wanted them to give him fealty, was the term used if I remember correctly.
Not exactly; here is the passage I think you are reffering to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Of the enemies, Silmarillion
For he coveted Arda and all that was in it, desiring the kingship of Manwe and dominion over the realms of his peers.
The point in question is ruling Arda.
Quote:
I don't know why you say Eru was angry at Melkor - as I pointed previously, he was but an instrument.
Quote:
Eru dousn't seem to favour people with freewill, like Melkor, Feanor or most of the Edain.
How come Eru didn't favour the Edain? They are his children, his purpose is their joy. Even Melkor and Feanor may be said to have had, at times, the times of their lives .
Old 07-27-2006, 10:17 AM   #31
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
How come Eru didn't favour the Edain? They are his children, his purpose is their joy.
That's why he drowned his children like unwanted kittens by millions?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #32
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
That's why he drowned his children like unwanted kittens by millions?
Your poor kittens enslaved their peers, tortured them, offered them as sacrifice to Melkor, slew each other in madness, were heedless to any kind of message ... as I stated previously, they were most likely unredeeemable in their corruption. Just as Eru reduces the lifespan of all Men when they started worshipping Melkor so to see who is their real Lord, he also saves the numenoreans from an evil they were not able anymore to overcome (maybe not even if they willed it). As Tolkien stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #212
A divine 'punishment' is also a divine 'gift', if accepted, since its object is ultimate blessing, and the supreme inventiveness of the Creator will make 'punishments' (that is changes of design) produce a good not otherwise to be attained
Old 07-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #33
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Yea... right... saving by killing.

But just don't tell me that "his purpose is their joy"

Eru killed almost all the numenoreans, likely his "favourite" human race, he abandoned all the rest of the Edain who remained in ME during the Second Age to Sauron's darkness.

His gift... let us call it "highly questionable." It is not a great gift if 99.9 percent of Men do not see it as such.

I think I have reason enough to say that Eru didn't favour the race of Men.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #34
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Yea... right... saving by killing.
I presume you have some better way of dealing with the most corrupt and oppressive society known at that time; would you like to share it with us?
Quote:
likely his "favourite" human race
I wasn't aware some human races were more favourite than others to Eru.
Quote:
he abandoned all the rest of the Edain who remained in ME during the Second Age to Sauron's darkness.
Seeing that everything depends on every moment on Eru (cf Atrabeth), your statement is hardly the case.
Quote:
His gift... let us call it "highly questionable." It is not a great gift if 99.9 percent of Men do not see it as such.
Could you be more exact? If you are reffering to the numenoreans, I can assure you a lot of people saw their dissappearance as a gift; most likely, they did too, after their eyes were opened, sort of speaking.
Quote:
I think I have reason enough to say that Eru didn't favour the race of Men.
Then you seem to miss the point of evil in Arda; suffering and toiling against it is part of the condition of Men, their part in devising the beauty of creation.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:05 PM   #35
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Yeah, because 99.9 percent of Men A) are not stupid and B) know EXACTLY what the gift entails after passing out of Ea.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #36
Tulkas
Hobbit

i dont feel sorry for morgoth and sauron, but feanor, i GUESS, has a purpose for his actions due to his fathers death and morgoth stealing the silmarils, but he could of done it in a better way so i have no remorse for the bad guys.

-Felagund, the greatest of the Noldo, and to walk Middle-Earth.
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:07 PM   #37
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien the Maia
now Sauron....as was mentioned, he loved order (not evil in itself) and was for the most part seduced by Melkor.
But I think he loved order for the sake of control, not peace. And you're only seduced by things you want to be seduced by; that's why that thing can seduce you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Telcontarian
Fëanor was indeed good, but was corrupted and made desperate by morgoth's lies and murder of his father; how crazy would you get it that happened to you, who's father was first in aman to have their blood spilled in violence.
Feanor will have a lot to answer for, but I also think he'll have a lot of slack given to him because of the terrible tragedies that happened to him.

Quote:
If Melkor was just an instrument in Eru's hand, cf Ainulindale, then how can your statement be true? Melkor as doing Eru's will is even more clearly stated in the BoLT versions.
But I think the difference is that Melkor was an unwilling instrument. Just shows how much Eru rocks!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #38
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
But I think he loved order for the sake of control, not peace. And you're only seduced by things you want to be seduced by; that's why that thing can seduce you!
but did he not want to help the Elves of Eregion in the beginning of his "instruction"? I dont' think he always wanted to control things. I guess that's just my opinion

Last edited by Arien the Maia : 10-08-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #39
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

It seemed that he wanted to help them in order to use them later on, but maybe I'm reading in too much - it's been awhile since I read that!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #40
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
It seemed that he wanted to help them in order to use them later on, but maybe I'm reading in too much - it's been awhile since I read that!
hmmm...maybe....but, it does say that he was sorry for what he did and desired to repent and receive his judgement but he was too ashamed of what he had done so he fled.