Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Republicanism versus Monarchy in Great Britain

This is for Butterbeer. I think the "Charles to Marry Camilla" was a valid thread, but it was going more into Republicanism versus Monarchy. This is a subject seperate from the UK Politics thread - which deals with mostly the parliament and issues such as fox hunting.

Here people from Great Britain (and anyone else who cares) can freely discuss the issues of the Monarchy and whether or not it is still legimate and should be retained, or if it is no longer of any use and should be abolished.

Go at it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Nice thread JD, since UK politics is at the moment occupied with the May 5th election.

This is an interesting issue. It seems that a lot of British people want to get rid of the monarchy, and many people also want to keep it.

How would this be decided?

This question is relevant to Canada, Jamaica, Australia, New Zealand and any other country who has the British monarch as the head of state... if we get rid of the monarchy (as the head of state, I don't mean dump 'em in the Themes! ), who will we have as the head of state?

Will we elect a head of state? Will that person be the same person as the head of government? Or will the head of government appoint a head of state?

The USA's President is the head of state and the head of government, while Germany elects a Prime Minister and a President IIRC.

Wikipedia has some interesting articles on the subject:
Head of state
Head of government
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

the decision i think that would be best would be to have every party put forward a candidate, not necessarily the party leader, but it could be, plus any independent's that wish to stand, and just have an election as per
head of gov't would still be leader of the party that forms the gov't, unless the presidential candidate was party leader, and that person won pres election, in which case it would go to deputy party leader
this would be interesting as it opens up for the head of state to be possibly in opposition to the head of gov't
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Nurvingiel - JD points (and can't post himself, for 10,000th post reasons) that the President of the US is not the head of government. There's no head of government in the US - head of government is sort of having the control over the government, and the president doesn't have any control as he can't do anything without the congress (and vice-versa).
The President's "job" is to represent the US internationally and be the commander in cheif of the armed forces.

(as said, that's pretty much what JD says. Just in other words.)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Aaa! I forgot again. Heh.

Okay, is there any system in which the President is also the Head of government/the governmental body?

So the American President is only the head of state then..? Does that mean "president" is just the name for an elected head of state, as opposed to an emir or a monarch or whatever?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

yes, president is head of state in a republic, monarch in a monarchy et al
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well i'd like to know from Sun Star what her thoughts on the Monarchy really are and what she considers a good or legitamate argument for dissolving the Monarchy would be?
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote