Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2004, 12:49 AM   #21
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
So if it's a wait until November in order to get a 5-hour movie... I guess I can wait.
Sigh...I guess in that case it's worth the wait. If we get that much extra footage, I'll be happy once I have it...especially if it includes lots of Faramir/Eowyn.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 09:23 AM   #22
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Does anyone know if there will be a figure, model, whatever with the EE dvd. I liked the bookends for FOTR but the Gollum TTT didn't have any real use (The Argonath bookends bracket my (limted number of) dvds.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 12:42 AM   #23
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

you'd think that for EE TT they would have Two Towers...
Well, my best guess is figure models of minas tirith and minas morgul...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 02:23 AM   #24
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
One of my favorite scenes is the lighting of the beacons. It always really moved me in the movies, tho the Pippin/Gandalf stunt at the beginning bugged me a bit. But there was something just beautiful to me about those men (prob. terribly bored) waiting at those beacon points just in case there came a time when aid was needed, because of the great friendship between Gondor and Rohan. And the scenery was so beautiful! but as I watched that scene last night with a lump in my throat yet again, it started to occur to me that ... those beacons were mighty far apart ... and in the book, IIRC, it took about 4 days for Theoden's men to reach Gondor (is that right?) Now I'm one of those people that are terrible in geography and distances, but the movie beacons seemed like they would take a LOT more than 4 days for men (and woman and hobbit) on horseback to cover. Any comments from those who are better at distances and geography and times?
I've come to the conclusion that there were people at the first beacon lit after Amon Dîn, but the rest were lit by some sort of spell or something. I say this because there's no way people could have lived or accessed the top of several of those peaks. Just a personal thought.

For those of you that have watched "The Quest Fulfilled: A Director's Vision", did you catch the glimpse of Frodo and Sam's scene in front of the statue of the king at the crossroads? I did. It's right after they talk about casting Sean Astin.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:30 PM   #25
azalea
Long lost mooter

I didn't catch that, but I did see a few things from the EE (well, I hope they'll be in there!):
Gandalf's witch-king encounter
The Healing of Eowyn (yay!)
Merry's oath to Theoden
A few Arwen shots (one where she sits up and hugs Elrond -- although they may not include details of the "Arwen is dying" thing, it may have been cut altogether)
A couple of Sam/ Frodo close ups that weren't in the movie
A shot of (I think) Gandalf riding through the woods on Shadowfax, but this might just be a cut shot from his ride to Gondor.

I watched my dvd finally, and my husband sat through the whole thing with me (with the understanding that he will NOT do so with the EE -- he couldn't believe there could possibly be that much more footage!).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:02 PM   #26
Telcontar
Enting

ROTK DVD...

I bought it the first day it came out at Best Buy. It was $16, but I had a gift card (so I got it for $1.07 ) and because it came with a ROTK collector's edition magazine from Entertainment Magazine. Very good mag. It was more worth it to me than getting it at Target for $15 with popcorn and batteries. It described what's coming up in the EE. It will add about 49 minutes to the movie. Some of the new scenes will be:

1) Gandalf facing the Witch King in Minas Tirith (just as they showed in the theatrical trailer, but not in the movie).
2) Merry bowing to Theoden to offer his service to Rohan (also how they showed in the theatrical trailer).
3) The Mouth of Sauron.
4) Aragorn reveals himself to Sauron via the Palantir.

There are more additions, however I can't remember them off the top of my head. I'm sure they're just as amazing.

Anyway, I watched the movie Thursday night. I wasn't supposed to, but since there was absolutely nothing on TV, I did anyway. I told my wife I just wanted to see my favorite parts of the movie. I ended up watching the whole thing in about 1.5 hours since I skipped through some stuff. I had already seen it a handful of times since I downloaded the DVD screener off of Kazaa and Bit Torrent, but I still had to see it using my surround sound system.

Apparently http://www.dvdanswers.com says there are no Easter Eggs. But maybe no ones found them yet!

And yes, I'm going to get the EE, just as I've done before.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." - Old Kingdom Proverb
Kill Bill Volume 1)
Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:43 PM   #27
Mrs Maggot
Enting

Quote:
1) Gandalf facing the Witch King in Minas Tirith (just as they showed in the theatrical trailer, but not in the movie).
2) Merry bowing to Theoden to offer his service to Rohan (also how they showed in the theatrical trailer).
3) The Mouth of Sauron.
I was watching the special features on the ordinary DVD as well and I'm also hoping that we see the bit where Eomer is crying on the Pelennor fields… presumably over either Theoden or Eowyn… and I agree with azalea that there is definitely a shot of Gandalf with Shadowfax doing something that was not in the movie… I can't wait!
Old 06-02-2004, 01:01 AM   #28
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Re: ROTK DVD...

Quote:
Originally posted by Telcontar
I wonder how they're going to pull that off since Aragorn already came into contact with the palantir in Meduseld and wussed out, falling to the ground and letting the it roll away...

But this would probably be better suited to the 'anticipated scenes' thread.

Old 06-05-2004, 12:11 AM   #29
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Maggot
I was watching the special features on the ordinary DVD as well and I'm also hoping that we see the bit where Eomer is crying on the Pelennor fields… presumably over either Theoden or Eowyn…
Ah, Eomer ... *sigh*

I like that little look Eomer gives Eowyn when Theoden says they'll go to help Gondor. It just seems like they're really close. I wish I had a brother - OTOH, it seems that most brothers in RL aren't real nice to their sisters! But by the time they're Eomer's and Eowyn's age, they are, I think - and the two of them went thru a lot together.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:21 AM   #30
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Well... I had been HOPING for just a 2-month wait between theatrical release and EE release. If it's going to be 6 or 7 months though, I may just cave and buy the theatrical now. I guess that's what they were counting on.

I don't mind TOO much though... then I'll eventually have a complete EE set, and a complete theatrical set (although I got my FotR theatrical on tape instead of disk - didn't have a dvd player yet... although I guess I coulda used my 'puter, but didn't really know enough about that yet ).

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:45 AM   #31
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Eh..I rented it and did my usual, just watched "the good stuff" I was interested in anything Aragorn, and Theoden. I played Eowyn and Merry stabbing the WK about 5 times in a row, very nice, then the the ring melt down. I can easily just wait for new stuff now! It all seems like cheap thrills after the fact!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:09 AM   #32
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Does anyone remember that big discussion we had on which finger is the "third finger" that Frodo wears the ring on? We were talking about if it was the third FINGER (the thumb not really being a finger, which would make it the "ring" finger), or the third finger-in-common-terms, which would include the thumb, and make it the finger that is sometimes used to make, um, gestures.

Well, Frodo in the movie gets his POINTER finger bitten off, which there is NO way you can make the "third" finger of the book - I just realized that yesterday! Did anyone else?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-08-2004, 02:12 AM   #33
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
... and Theoden.
I still can't watch the charge of the Rohirrim without tears in my eyes ... Bernard Hill did a fabulous job, and of course part of the reason why it's fabulous is it's dialogue that JRRT wrote.

Aragorn leading the charge at the black gate, however, still makes me cringe - trite dialog, IMO, and his voice does that crazy Marvin-Martian thing at one point that makes me almost laugh.

Oh, another cool Eomer part - I love how right before he skewers the guy-with-an-attitude riding on the elephant, he gives the spear a little twisty-toss, like "no big deal here! Piece o' cake!"

Old 06-08-2004, 02:22 AM   #34
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
I don't mind TOO much though... then I'll eventually have a complete EE set, and a complete theatrical set (although I got my FotR theatrical on tape instead of disk - didn't have a dvd player yet... although I guess I coulda used my 'puter, but didn't really know enough about that yet ).
That's weird... that's exactly what I did. I have both editions on DVD except for the FotR theatrical, which is on VHS. Great minds think alike, I guess.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:29 PM   #35
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well, Frodo in the movie gets his POINTER finger bitten off, which there is NO way you can make the "third" finger of the book - I just realized that yesterday! Did anyone else?
I noticed that...it annoyed me a little more than is reasonable, considering how small a detail that is.

Quote:
quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Valandil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's weird... that's exactly what I did. I have both editions on DVD except for the FotR theatrical, which is on VHS. Great minds think alike, I guess.
Me too!!!, though we got our DVD player the same christmas as the tape. I kind of wish I had FotR on DVD...I liked the special features.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 12:21 AM   #36
Rían

IS there a blooper thread on ROTK somewhere yet?

ANyone heard of the chances of a LOTR blooper/outtake CD being put out? I'm sure that would be absolutely hilarious!

Old 06-17-2004, 02:27 AM   #37
Mrs Maggot
Enting

Quote:
I still can't watch the charge of the Rohirrim without tears in my eyes
And I thought it was just me. I love that scene, it is definitely one of my favourites out of the whole trilogy. It's pretty close to the top. A agree, Aragorn's speech doesn't have quite the same authenticity to it.

The thing with which finger got bitten off is really annoying. I'm trying to remember if Frodo had teh ring on his index finger the whole way through the trilogy (I don't notice details) and I'm thinking he did… would Tolkien have intended the ring to be worn on the index finger ever? If not, why did PJ change it? Very puzzling.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:39 AM   #38
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
IS there a blooper thread on ROTK somewhere yet?

ANyone heard of the chances of a LOTR blooper/outtake CD being put out? I'm sure that would be absolutely hilarious!
I'm sure there is one somewhere -- probably in a remote mountain cave somewhere in New Zealand -- guarded by a Balrog that looks suspiciously like Peter Jackson!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:50 AM   #39
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

FINALLY picked this up on my way home last night. Don't know when I'll be able to watch though - usually too little time each evening - and I have plans for the next couple Saturdays. Maybe I'll just have to watch it in increments. I DREAM of doing an extended edition marathon when the final one comes out, but wonder if I can actually swing it with the kids and all.

Unfortunately, the battery and popcorn specials seem to have ended. I still saw them last week... but last night I WAS able to get a $2 off coupon for nutri-grain snack bars or something like that... funny thing was, they were selling them for $2 per box! So I just got two boxes - one each of strawberry and blueberry. I'll whip those out and munch away while I watch.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 05:01 AM   #40
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Maggot

The thing with which finger got bitten off is really annoying. I'm trying to remember if Frodo had teh ring on his index finger the whole way through the trilogy (I don't notice details) and I'm thinking he did… would Tolkien have intended the ring to be worn on the index finger ever? If not, why did PJ change it? Very puzzling.
During the movie you don't see Frodo wearing the ring much at all. The first time he does is in The Prancing Pony and it definitely is on his index finger. I think this scene is what makes Peter Jackson originally decide to use the index finger for the ring finger. In the book, the ring slips on Frodo's finger while he is playing with it in his pocket. You wouldn't be able to see this in the movie so Peter Jackson obviously decided to make the ring more visible and have Frodo put up his hand to catch it when he fell. The most logical finger for it to "fall" onto would be the index finger - a natural movement when trying to catch something. It would be very awkward for the ring to "fall" onto the middle or third finger. Try this with your own hand! This might be wrong, but it seems the logical reason for the change.

In later scenes in the book where Frodo is resisting the desire to slip on the ring it is his index finger that he is struggling with. I guess it would also be visually awkward for this struggle to occur with the middle or third finger. Try it with your own finger as well!!

What do you think?