Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2002, 10:51 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
It's evolution, not decline!

I love this place. You might have noticed, considering how much I'm here. I'm a newbie, in that I joined after Dec. 19th, but hey, if there weren't newbies, the site would die out!

I know I tend to do a lot of one-line posts, and so on. I'm a hopeless spammer, I guess. Alas for me.

I most likely would not have read Lord of the Rings if it weren't for the movies. But I do not consider myself a 'movie-person,' because I read the books first. And therefore, if it were not for the movie, I would not have discovered entmoot, which would have been tragic
I don't think it's about being just a newbie, but what kind of newbie. There is nothing wrong with reading the books after seeing the movie, and I think that was expected to happen for alot of folks. I have friends that I have tried for years to get them into the books, and only the movie succeded to do that. They had ulterior motives though. They could not stand not knowing what would happen next. They have only read the Two Towers and The Return of the King. Not the Fellowship. That is sad to me. Do I consider them true Tolkien fans? No. Do they now qualify as Tolkien experts? NO. Do they know more than they did before the movie? Yes. Are they serious about Tolkien enough to explore further books? No. Will they still be talking about the story a month after they see the movie of RoTK? No. It is sad though, when you have movie goers that have not read the books and try to inneract with book readers, who chances are have read the books more times than you could count and have read beyond LotRs, it is simply annoying and I am not sure that they realize that they look foolish when they do this.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote