Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2002, 01:48 PM   #11
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quite honestly, the U.S. healthcare system isn't working, either. Neither system is perfect. We had to pay a lot when my son was born even though we have health ins. We had to put it all on credit cards. I'm sure a lot of you have heard the story recently of the man who needs a heart transplant but his ins. doesn't cover it, and he can't afford to pay, so when a heart became available an inmate in prison for armed robbery got the heart, because inmates are covered by the state health plan or whatever. The man said he contemplates commiting armed robbery so he can go to prison and get his transplant paid for! Private healthcare is very inadequate because of what many ins. co.s won't cover, and those people who make too much money for Medicaid and not enough to get the very best plans or pay for care themselves are out of luck.
I like the Canadian plan of EQUAL healthcare for EVERYONE, but I think private companies are a necessity, because the gov can't afford to pay doctors what they can make in a privatized system. A combination of the 2 systems could work well. I think EVERYONE should have the option to be a part of the state health plan (the one that is for gov. employees, like our representatives), because you'd better believe that's a good plan! They would also have the option to go w/ their company's plan. That would force the other companies to provide better coverage.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote