Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2002, 12:36 AM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
Jerseydevil, you are right, that is ironic...

I am vegetarian, not because I think eating meat isn't natural for humans, I know it is, but because I don't agree with they way we treat the animals we are eat. It is cruel, unethical and immoral to treat animals the way we do. I would eat meat if, say, the human population was much smaller, and the animal was hunted (nicely) or treated very well while it's still alive. I like eating some meats for the taste, but I don't agree with the way animals are treated. Also, I chose not to for health reasons, but I don't drink, (excessively, or often, anyway) smoke, or do drugs, so I am not guilty of that irony. And I do eat fish, and on very rare occasion, chicken, but for the most part I have tried to give meat up.
My reasons are pretty similar to yours. I gave it up partially for health reasons ( I don't smoke, drink, do drugs), but mainly because I think that the way they do it is inethical, and because I find the flavour of meat nauseating. However, there is NO WAY that I would eat chicken, because they are more cruely treated than large mammals like cows. Chickens are kept cooped up in those tiny little cages, at least cows and sheep have SOME freedom.