Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2000, 08:31 PM   #1
IronParrot

Minor characters: In or out, and how expendable?

Let's use this thread to talk about the "minor" characters of LOTR and how they'll be implemented in the movies. Essentially:

- Which are in, which are out.
- Which have their roles expanded, which don't.
- Which are unconfirmed, and how necessary or expendable they are.

So far, here's my take on these three points:

Bombadil - Out, sadly. It's a pity, because out of all the "minor" characters he was certainly one of the more important ones.

Goldberry - Well, if Bombadil's out, she's obviously out.

Barrow-wights, Old Man Willow - No word yet, but if they're in, how can they be implemented without Bombadil? So this is a "probably not". However, like I mentioned on the other thread, they'll also need to work around the minor detail of the Sword of the Barrow-downs that wounds the Nazgul.

Barliman Butterbur - I don't remember official word on him, but I'd say he's most certainly in. There WAS a report that Bree, at least, is in, right?

Bill Ferny - Hmm... it's not a real big deal to stick him in, so they should. However, for the same reason they might leave him out.

Nob and Bob - Why not?

Radagast - He won't appear, according to McKellen.

Lobelia and Lotho - They had better not cut the Scouring of the Shire - and if the Scouring is in (it had better be in!) then these two should be in too.

Will Whitfoot - Perhaps, for the same reason.

Fatty Bolger - Well, I'd say he's really important and certainly underrated. Let us not forget that he was the fifth hobbit who knew about the quest and helped sneak Frodo out of the Shire...

Farmer Maggot - E!Online said today that Maggot is a "don't know" but that they speculate he might just be Peter Jackson's cameo.

Haldir - I believe I read somewhere that he's in. Good.

Glorfindel - As far as I am aware, he's been replaced by Arwen.

Gildor - Oh please don't leave him out...

Arwen - We all know about Arwen.

Eowyn - I seriously hope she maintains her role as in the novel. I'm a bit concerned that Arwen is "stealing her thunder" so to speak.

Bill the Pony - They'd better not do without him. Even if Ferny is cut, the Fellowship still needs a pony assisting them until they get to Moria.

Well... what do you guys think about all this? Obviously, updates and opinions on these and other "minor" characters and how heavily involved in the film they are should go here... I'll add some more as I think of them...