Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Family Dynamics: Widower, Daughter - and Other Women

In a hypothetical family including a widowed father and a teen/young adult daughter - is it common for this daughter to resist the notion of their father re-marrying, and even show hostility toward potential future step-mothers?

If so - does the daughter see herself filling the role of her deceased mother, and feel threatened by other women who might supplant her?

I just watched a movie which included this type of conflict. And actually - I have some family history like this that I wasn't around to witness. My mom lost her own mother (and a newborn baby brother) at the age of 2. My mom also has a sister, 6 years older than herself. As I understand it, some years later my grandfather was initiating a close relationship with another women. I don't know exact timeframe, but my mother must have been at the very least 8-9, making my aunt at least 14-15 - and they may have been older. My grandfather asked his daughters what they thought. My mom was shy about it and didn't say much. But my aunt voiced her opposition. That was the last my mom ever saw of this other lady.

Some years later (and less than 2 months after my birth) my grandfather died, still a widower. When my mom told me about this whole episode, she related her own guilty feelings - wondering if her bashfulness had given the other lady the wrong idea and sent her away. It's clear to me though that it was my aunt's opposition that sealed the deal (rather - no deal). I'd never ask my aunt about it. I rarely see her anyway - and she's in her early 80's now.

So - I'm curious. Have any of you seen this type of thing develop, among family or friends? Anyone been an active participant (one of those three key characters) in such a conflict?

Also - I'm even toying with this as part of a potential future storyline idea, and want to understand it better.

Thank you.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote