Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #11
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Rian, have you seen the "Sweetharps" by Caswell? One neat thing is the dye jobs he can do on them!!!

I am tempted, but hesitant. From all of my research, I feel like what I REALLY want is a Ravenna 34. The tone is gorgeous, and they're relatively inexpensive (around $2,000)... but it looks like I'd have to pay it all upfront, and I'm not sure I could fit one in my car... so no taking it to play with the folk group.

The Sweetharp has 29 strings (which seems like a good starting instrument), and it's much smaller than the Ravenna 34 (hence why the tone suffers). There's a Ravenna 26, but I feel like that's too few strings (I want that low C), and I don't love the tone. Also the Sweetharp has some truly awesome features (the tuning knobs for starters!), AND the Sweetharps have a rent-to-own program.

I'm torn, but the more I think about it the more I feel like I should get a harp as soon as possible so that I can practice. I'm completely enchanted and I want to start playing!! I haven't been like this about an instrument since I started to get interested in voice when I was 15. I remember I started watching endless YouTube videos and listening to ump-tee-billions of singers... and of course I still spend the majority of my free time listening to singers and trying to find new ones. But now I feel the same way about harp. O_o I feel a much stronger attraction to the harp than I have towards violin.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote