Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2002, 10:17 AM   #11
Elvellon
Elf Lord

The Shire – rural England, duh

Arnor – North-western Europe. Once united under the Carolingian Empire, then separated in rival kingdoms. The rivalry among these kingdoms almost led to the ruin of the region, as it did in Arnor.

Gondor – Southern Europe. Once the heart of powerful empires, its role dwindled with time. Here the culture of old Rome (Numenor) was partially preserved. For a long time the Iberian nations were the barrier between the peoples of North Africa (Harad) and Europe and the Bizantinean empire did the same with the East.
The land and sea empires of Portugal and Spain can also be compared with the empire of the ship-kings.

The Reunited Kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor – the European Union.

Harad – North Africa, divided in kingdoms, sometimes allied and friendly towards the European (Arnor & Gondor), sometimes their enemies.

Rohan – USA. Always getting involved in the wars of Gondor (as Europe), and in wars against the Shadow in the East. But don’t have frontiers with these regions. Its army is THE military force of late Third Age. The role of the ancestors of the Rohirrim in the Kin- strife can be compared with the USA role during WW II.

Mordor – the present enemy of the Free Peoples of the West. Whoever this may be at the time.

Lindon – must be a seafaring nation. Personally I can’t see them as Vikings, or acting as corsairs. Perhaps Portugal, since it was a nation that spent centuries methodically exploring the seas.

Imladris – a small, but pleasant enclave of the Free Peoples. I don’t se it as neutral, so I cannot compare it to Switzerland. Perhaps Luxemburg.

Lorien – make your guess.

Orcish Domains – certain football associations, dominated by Hooligans(orcs and trolls).

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion

Last edited by Elvellon : 03-18-2002 at 10:20 AM.
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote