FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
On the Legalization of Homosexual Marriage

... But biologically, such relationships are completely incapable of contributing to society and the survival of humanity through procreation. In addition, children cared for under these unions lack either a father or a mother, making their lives very emotionally difficult.

From Biblical, legal, and biological analysis, it is proven that the legal recognition of homosexual marriages would greatly damage society, the institutions of marriage and family, and the children cared for by such persons.
well, i have to admit i haven't read your whole thing yet (i will), but i quite disagree with basically everything you're saying. but i guess that's no surprise.

do you have any scientific evidence that the children of homosexual parents (who have grown up with them) have emotionally "very difficult" lives (that isn't due to them living in an environment that is hostile to homosexuals, of course)? if you do, could you please point me to it? the sons and daughters of homosexual parents i've met have always been very balanced, open-minded, happy and heterosexual. but maybe it's different here in finland, or my sample is biased.

how about infertile heterosexual people? should they be allowed to marry? if the only reason for a couple to have the right to marry is to contribute biologically to society and make sure the species survives, why not test everyone who wants to marry and make sure they're actually planning to have children? i'm married, and i'm not going to have children. and no, i'm not living in a same-sex relationship. why do i have the right to marry now, but not if my partner would've happened to lack an y-chromosome? i still wouldn't want children.

and if procreation is that important (why is it so important that humanity survives, anyway? we're a pretty ugly species, you know.. ), what should happen to all of those homosexual people? should they be forced to procreate? why does it matter if they're married or not, they're not going to contribute any more to your society "biologically" if they're forbidden from having their relationship legally recognized. maybe there should be a homosexuality-tax, since they'd just be parasites on the system anyway..

the fact is, lots of heterosexual people reproduce and don't take care of their children. there are loads and loads of children who need parents. keeping them alive by giving them a safe and loving home would contribute biologically to society, no? and help keeping us humans on the planet (at least for a while longer)? if you actually have data that shows that children raised by parents in a homosexual relationship suffer from it directly, and not just from the close-mindedness of society, i'll rethink it, but i think it's positively evil to keep good possible parents from adopting children who need them just because they don't have different external genitals. 'cause you know, the old assumption that children need a mum and a dad also assumes that people will follow the gender roles society has given them and not just be themselves. oh my, if people start questioning gender roles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
And drastic modification of society is against the common good.
have you been following the news lately? or are you only talking about american society (in which case i also don't agree).

that's a bit longer than i planned, but whatever. i'll be back..

EDIT: cross-posted with tessar, who has a lot of good points and puts them more clearly than i do.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page

Last edited by Nerdanel : 03-21-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote