Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
As a convert from one religion to another, I am in a position to credibly say, "That's bull****." True for many people, but to make a generality of it is contrary to the experience of quite a few people.
True in the US, (and probably Canada), much less so elsewhere.

44% in America, according to Pew surveys, though that includes changes in Protestant denomination at 15% and Catholic to Protestant at 5% (Prod to Catholic is so small it gets lumped in with "others"), which wiki dismisses as mere "reaffiliation".

11% is from affiliated Catholic/Protestant to "unaffiliated", which may include many people who regard themselves still as Christian.

Overall, about 95% of people worldwide never change their religion- the overwhelming reason most people are Christian, Muslim, Hindu etc is that their parents were and they live surrounded by others of the same religion.

That's why on those knowledge polls atheists/agnostics do better- they're people who've actually thought about religious beliefs instead of just following family tradition.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote